Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Option?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The main issues here (I think) are that newbies may feel somewhat compelled to fill it in, leaving the female newbies at the mercy of all of the freaks who see it as their calling to PM every female member who they become even vaguely aware of. It happens, and constantly. Any known female member will attest to that.
    We want *more* women here, not less.

The other problem is that there are known quantities of the male population who think it's funny not only to tell people online that they're female, but also to act out the part. I believe it would be a good target for trolls to sign up a nick, mark it female and then start a load of, "I'm so innocent, I'm going out tonight, where do I go, tee hee hee" threads.

I don't believe that the web has more weirdos than real life, but most weirdos know they're weirdos and so they act more like themselves online than they do in real life, because there's less fear of being "outed".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Talliesin wrote: »
    I think we should have it, but list everyone as female. Then all the morons who ignore opinions because they came from women will go elsewhere.

Then we change them all to male, and lose the creeps.

But you'd still be stuck with the creepy gay morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I always assumed SharpshooterH was a bloke :o .... even with all that pink!
    I can assure you, it doesn't happen irl.:o

But, I suppose I do tend to see things mostly from a males point of view, and so most of my posts would lead other posters to assume I was male also.

I don't mind in the slightest, and think it is better if it is left to the individual to reveal whether they are male or female.

It's on my profile that I am female so it's not like I deliberately try to hide it.
    It is a posters opinion that should count , not their gender.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I can assure you, it doesn't happen irl.:o

But, I suppose I do tend to see things mostly from a males point of view, and so most of my posts would lead other posters to assume I was male also.

I don't mind in the slightest, and think it is better if it is left to the individual to reveal whether they are male or female.

It's on my profile that I am female so it's not like I deliberately try to hide it.
    It is a posters opinion that should count , not their gender.:)
    holy sh1t you're a chick??!

hi there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Mirror wrote: »
    holy sh1t you're a chick??!

hi there :pac:
    You are such a sleaze:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

You are such a sleaze:p
    does that turn you on baby? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Is there any way of adding a little symbol under usernames that depicts whether a member is male or female?

Christ If I were you I would edit that and suggest "transgendered" other wise there may be a sissy fit from the Cork direction ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

gandalf wrote: »
    Christ If I were you I would edit that and suggest "transgendered" other wise there may be a sissy fit from the Cork direction ;)

I was waiting for someone to mention that:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

No. No. No.
    NO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Beruthiel wrote: »
    No. No. No.
    NO

No? You seem undecided :p

Pretty much the same explanations given here were given back then, Op, so i doubt it'll happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I always assumed SharpshooterH was a bloke :o .... even with all that pink!
    Me too.

*Sigh*

Now I have to go back through all her opinions and disgard them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Me too.

*Sigh*

Now I have to go back through all her opinions and disgard them.

Or watch for the sudden spike in profile views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Being mistaken for opposite sex on forum happens a lot . For example , somebody using Miss before or Girl after username is most obiously female .Those little clues help .:o

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Beruthiel wrote: »
    No. No. No.
    NO
    Four excellent reasons.

latchyco wrote: »
    Being mistaken for opposite sex on forum happens a lot . For example , somebody using Miss before or Girl after username is most obiously female .Those little clues help .:o

I thought you were a girl when i first talked to you on bgrh. Thought you were crap girl though,cuz you didn't make me sammichs! ^_^

Nerin wrote: »
    I thought you were a girl when i first talked to you on bgrh. Thought you were crap girl though,cuz you didn't make me sammichs! ^_^
    I have being mistaken for a gurl's ok ,me and about 500 others .Tis a common occurence and quite amusing to see people being corrected about their gender

Some gurl's in BGRH make better sambos than others .

latchyco wrote: »
    I have being mistaken for a gurl's ok ,me and about 500 others .Tis a common occurence and quite amusing to see people being corrected about their gender

Some gurl's in BGRH make better sambos than others .

Turns out my name is very popular as a spanish(?) Female username.

Usernames are not the best way of finding out .I am still lost with many boardsie as to who is who gender wise , but everything rights it self in the end and posts can be a good clue to .We sometimes notice by default .

Or just ask them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'd approve of this feature actually, if it were optional.
    Quite a few people have mistaken me for a female before. I can't think why...

*flutters eyelashes*

xXx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

I'd approve of this feature actually, if it were optional.
    Quite a few people have mistaken me for a female before. I can't think why...

*flutters eyelashes*

xXx
    Same people thought I was one to but it really doesn't bother me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i genearlly work on the basis that all users are male until proven otherwise.

though it is quite funny seeing the same people shocking others again and again as their gender is revealed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,232 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I thought Rb was a dudess for almost 2 years before it came up in conversation. It was that old avatar he used to wear that made him look like an old plump woman brandishing a cigarette. After a PM conversation I pointed him to Leave Britney alone and the rest is history....but you still wouldnt know he was a d00d come to think of it.

I actually thought you were a female. :o

Well anyway, fair enough. I can see why it is not an available feature (although i do still think it would be a good optionable feature).

Thanks all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was female for ages too. At one beers I had someone come up in shock and say "you're a man???!!" The sex change is coming along nicely. Beard an all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I thought you were all wimmins

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i endorse this

people think i am a man all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Too many of you bastards are sleazy perverts for it to be brought in.

Too many of you bastards are sleazy perverts for it to be brought in.

Says the man spamming the batman snogging robin pic!

:pac:

• Advertisement

i endorse this

people think i am a man all the time
    Now I know were the confusion starts

Advertisement