Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law next yr??

Options
  • 04-02-2009 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

So i'm planning on doing law, but ive corporate law down first above civil law just in case im not mad about law, i think i will like law, but is antone else afraid they might get there and hate it???!!! the same could be said for most courses i know!:eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

yeah I'm afraid I'm going to hate what I picked or that it's going to be too hard, I'll just have to wait and see I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Exactly the same as me, well minus the law bit. What I do next year not only depends on how well I do in the exams but also what mood im in on the final day for CAO submission

Eeep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

So i'm planning on doing law, but ive corporate law down first above civil law just in case im not mad about law, i think i will like law, but is antone else afraid they might get there and hate it???!!! the same could be said for most courses i know!:eek::eek:

I have them both down too, although I'm hoping to get TRinity or UCD, I really don't want to have to move! I've always wanted to study law, well from when I could make a decent decision anyway. I have no idea whether I'll like it as it's sort of hard to tell, what with not having done any form of law stuff for the LC/JC. Anyone I've talked to really enjoys their course, but says there is a lot of reading involved, so so long as you don't HATE reading, hopefully it won't be that bad!

I've a friend who did civil law in NUIG, and throughly enjoyed it! She says the student life there is really good, and they're not all boring book-ish types! But yeah, be prepared to read! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

If you have an interest in history, policitics and current affairs then you should like law.

Please do not make the mistake thinkng its like what you see on TV...its nothing like that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

I have them both down too, although I'm hoping to get TRinity or UCD, I really don't want to have to move! I've always wanted to study law, well from when I could make a decent decision anyway. I have no idea whether I'll like it as it's sort of hard to tell, what with not having done any form of law stuff for the LC/JC. Anyone I've talked to really enjoys their course, but says there is a lot of reading involved, so so long as you don't HATE reading, hopefully it won't be that bad!

I've a friend who did civil law in NUIG, and throughly enjoyed it! She says the student life there is really good, and they're not all boring book-ish types! But yeah, be prepared to read! :D
    ya i am really looking forward to that in galway! the student residence i wanted to saty in opened for bookings last week, booked out by monday, it fits like 750!! so i need a new plan!

• Advertisement

If you have an interest in history, policitics and current affairs then you should like law.

Please do not make the mistake thinkng its like what you see on TV...its nothing like that.:)

yep i can imagine a lot of people have a really idealised version off law from tv, and are very dissapointed!! i am doing history and would be hoping for an a1 in it, i love it! and i am fairly ok at english and i read a good bit and i have a bug interest in currant affairs!! wow im perfect.. haha i wish!!! which subjects do u find interesting and which are just a pain? in your opinion!

yeah I'm afraid I'm going to hate what I picked or that it's going to be too hard, I'll just have to wait and see I suppose!
    story of our lives!:pac::D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Oswald

I would just encourage anyone to think twice about doing law at the moment. Check out the threads on unemployed solicitors on this site and you'll see what I'm talking about. There were over 700 solicitors qualified this year which is a massive number.

The way the economy is going I would encourage anyone to get a good diverse degree with as many option as possible - something like buisness with languages and social science - that kind of thing. It will give u more options when u graduate. Law is too focused on one thing. Look around anyway because there are lots of options out there. Law plus in Limerick is a good diverse law degree programme.

Oswald wrote: »
    I would just encourage anyone to think twice about doing law at the moment. Check out the threads on unemployed solicitors on this site and you'll see what I'm talking about. There were over 700 solicitors qualified this year which is a massive number.

The way the economy is going I would encourage anyone to get a good diverse degree with as many option as possible - something like buisness with languages and social science - that kind of thing. It will give u more options when u graduate. Law is too focused on one thing. Look around anyway because there are lots of options out there. Law plus in Limerick is a good diverse law degree programme.
    hence why i ahve corporate law down no 1.. not the broadest thing in the world but hey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

While things are bad at the moment for solicitors don't let it completely put you off. It's no longer an easy money career but if you think about it you won't be finishing your degree for another 3/4 years and only then will you enter the jobs market. Hopefully things will be a bit better by then. Just be prepared to work hard for a job (like any other profession).

As for Law as a choice I loved it and didn't find the reading that hard. It's a simple trade off. An architect has 40 hour lectures a week while in law you may have 10/12. What are you going to do for the other 30 hours except read cases and books (of course I somehow managed to spend a lot of that time in the student bar and it didn't do me any harm :D).

• Advertisement
Advertisement