Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming regulations update...

• 04-02-2009 1:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

[Link] - published 03 February 2009

Some of the good points for consumers
    Voice calls proposal
    Regulation 717/2007/EC to be extended beyond 30 June 2010 – (period 3 years),
    includes voice roaming calls at both a wholesale and retail level.
    Wholesale cap - 2010 - €0.23, 2011 - €0.20, 2012 - €0.17
    Retail cap - 2010 calls made and received - €0.40/€0.16, 2011 - €0.37/€0.13,
    2012 - €0.34/€0.10 VAT Excl.

SMS – proposal
    Regulatory obligations imposed with regard to regulated roaming SMS
    services at both retail and wholesale level, Wholesale ceiling - €0.04, Retail
    ceiling - €0.11 VAT Excl.

Transparency of retail charges - SMS proposal
    Transparency measure to be introduced to alert a roaming customer to the
    charges associated with sending a text message while roaming. This will be
    free of charge

Data cap and transparency proposal
    Measures to be introduced to improve the transparency of retail prices for
    data roaming services, in particular to eliminate the phenomenon of "bill
    shock".

In order to avoid bill shocks, mobile operators to offer their roaming
    customers, free of charge, an opportunity to specify in advance a maximum
    financial limit (cap) for data roaming services.

The wholesale charge (cap) for regulated data roaming services shall not
    exceed limit of €1.00 per megabyte of data transmitted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

those proposals look pretty good. While data is still expensive in it it's vastly improved and the ability to limit spend is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

Some of these proposals are getting closer to being implemented
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0310/breaking59.htm
    The 785 members of the European Parliament will vote in their plenary session scheduled from April 21st to 24th, on the roaming proposal and if the Council agrees with the content of the vote, the new roaming rules will come into effect on July 1st, 2009.

steve 0 wrote: »
    Some of these proposals are getting closer to being implemented
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0310/breaking59.htm
    If this all actually happens it's gonna be good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I don't know about this. If the operators are forced to drop roaming charges they'll have to increase other charges to keep revenue up. Most people aren't abroad that often so two or three weeks a year at the higher roaming rate works out cheaper than paying more for the other 49 weeks of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I don't know about this. If the operators are forced to drop roaming charges they'll have to increase other charges to keep revenue up. Most people aren't abroad that often so two or three weeks a year at the higher roaming rate works out cheaper than paying more for the other 49 weeks of the year

I don't agree Sam. I roam a quite a lot and I know that I was trying to keep my usage as low as possible, due to the high charges. When the original roaming regulation was put in place I increased my spending, so the operators actually got the same revenue from me: revenue from less calls at a higher price equals revenue for more calls at a lower price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

blaz wrote: »
    I don't agree Sam. I roam a quite a lot and I know that I was trying to keep my usage as low as possible, due to the high charges. When the original roaming regulation was put in place I increased my spending, so the operators actually got the same revenue from me: revenue from less calls at a higher price equals revenue for more calls at a lower price.

And I don't agree with you :D

People have a perception of roaming as being expensive. The EU is making them drop the prices but it's still expensive. You increased your usage when the rates dropped but I'd say you're the exception. I know I'm going not going to use my phone any more than I do now. When I have to make a call I make it and when I don't have to I don't make one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I'd agree with the above comments regarding operator price hikes. If the operators lose money in one avenue of their income, you can be sure that they’ll recoup that loss through other means e.g. increasing the price of sms across all tariffs, charging for voicemail across all tariffs, increasing the minimum call setup fee on tariffs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I think people will use their phone more when roaming €0.34 per min in 2012 is less than some calls now. Data is almost usable when roaming owing to the present price levels, but personally I would use affordable data when roaming, although I have little need of it at home when broadband is readily available. Effectively in Ireland customers in border areas have been subsidising those in Munster :o. But the Irish operators are making good margins, whatever about companies elsewhere in Europe.

Closer again
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/161870/eu_set_to_pass_new_mobile_roaming_law_in_record_time.html
    Members of the European Parliament and representatives of the 27 national governments reached an informal agreement to cut prices from July 1. The compromise they struck must be rubber-stamped by both institutions, probably in April, but the hard negotiating is over

• Advertisement

July 1st is after my holidays .. that's no use to me! :(

Would be nice to see some rapid progress being made on this though :)

Missed this last week, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8010352.stm
    Euro MPs have voted overwhelmingly to cut the cost of texting and using the internet on mobiles abroad.
    Some people aren't happy with the original legislation
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0429/1224245598325.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

No. As I see it they have to charge you 11c. The only one that doesn't have a retail price is the data, where only a wholesale rate is specified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ProjectC

Mr.S wrote: »
    Isn't that the maximum cost the providers have to pay their roaming partners?

So while Meteor/o2/Vodafone etc are only charged 11c max for texts when their customers are roaming, they (Meteor/o2/Vodafone etc) can still charge us anything ontop of that?

no the max any operator can charge anoter is 4c per cent.

and the max any operator can charge the customer is 11c.

so

Advertisement