Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music: What Would You Study?

Options
  • 04-02-2009 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

If you had the choice of any particular aspect of music to be added in place of another area, what would you put there instead? For example:

Instead of Irish music, Finnish folk music, etc.

I know in the Irish music question you have to talk about different fusions and name a couple of bands as examples. I think it would have been cool to study the fusion of heavy metal with Irish music since I believe it could be considered just a relevant. For example, tracks from Nightwish's latest release Dark Passion Play such as The Islander and Last of the Wilds could be considered very good examples, the latter moreso.

I'd probably remove Berlioz entirely for a study on symphonic metal, hahahah. :pac:

What about you guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Is there a lot of cross-over between Irish folk and heavy metal? Trad + punk isn't particularly uncommon (Pogues, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly), didn't realise metal was in there too, though...

I'd probably adjust the paper to have a greater emphasis on music theory. Transposition, perhaps harmonic anaylsis of things, whatnot. Dunno what I'd get rid of, though... Maybe reduce the number of set works, or at least the importance of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

I remove would erase the entire syllabus and replace it with a history of Rock, More traditional and Lots of practical...hahaha.

Ah no, i would probably take away berlioz and replace it with maybe some Bach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

More Raymond Deane, I seriously cant get enough of this guy.........

I doubt the whole rock thing would work out at all, the department would no doubt ruin any decent intention they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 snowflakes

I'd probably replace Berlioz with Beyonce.ha! no in fairness the only piece i detest is seachanges. Don't like Irish music either. The rest isn't bad. But yea, that would be cool if we could choose our own pieces! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I dunno, I'm not really into anything that's on the course. I'm not even that found of sgt pepper tbh the irish music wrecks my head the most though, purely cos I have no interest in it and I don't play any trad. I'd make it 100% practical :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement