Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a Christian viewpoint...

• 04-02-2009 2:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭

I'm not looking to start a big argument, and I am sorry if this is something that gets posted a lot but I have a few questions about Christianity. I was raised Catholic and went to a Catholic school. In the last few years, I've pretty much stopped believing. I found that the schools never went into the theological aspect of religion, more about stories. So now I've a lot of unaswered questions, and I just wanted to get a Christian's perspective.

Why do we worship God? Does he need or want to be worshipped? I know I'm applying a human morality to him, but it seems strange to me that we have to worship him (her? it?), to give praise and so forth.
      I don't know whether (a) God exists or not, ergo I can't say I believe in him existing. I would rather he existed and there was a heaven, but I don't know - therefore I can't say I believe. For Christians, does belief become knowledge? Is the belief in God the rejection of doubt? Should I be punished in the afterlife for basing my life on my (broadly good) moral principles, but admitting uncertainty about God due to the same principles? I know that was 3 questions, but it boils down to: if someone lives a good life, is kind to people and so forth, but doesn't believe in God, is it not vindictive to punish them based on that?
      Why do people pray? Particularly in cases where people are sick, or in trouble. God doesn't interfere with free will, so what is the use in praying to him? I can acknowledge that it's therapeutic, but does it actually achieve anything?

I would like to believe in God, because I think it is (rightly or wrongly) a source of strength for people. But I can't just cast aside these questions (and a few others I have) or other issues I have with religion.

Thanks very much to anyone who answers these :)

Again, sorry if this has been done before and I'm not looking for a Christian/Atheist argument, just another point of view.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Tom65 wrote: »
    I know that was 3 questions, but it boils down to: if someone lives a good life, is kind to people and so forth, but doesn't believe in God, is it not vindictive to punish them based on that?
    You would have to live a perfect life to live up to God's moral standard of "good". No human does that, because our behaviour is largely determined by a corrupted world, our corrupted hearts, and our choice to disobey our consciences. Thus we need a saviour to be reconciled with God. That is an answer which I think most Christians would agree with.

Whether disbelief in Jesus makes you worthy of eternal punishment, I will leave to those who believe it exists. I do not think that the Bible teaches it, instead I think it is a Greek heresy. I think that it makes you worthy of death, which is what the Bible does teach. (Romans 6:23)

Too tired to answer the others at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'm not looking to start a big argument, and I am sorry if this is something that gets posted a lot but I have a few questions about Christianity. I was raised Catholic and went to a Catholic school. In the last few years, I've pretty much stopped believing. I found that the schools never went into the theological aspect of religion, more about stories. So now I've a lot of unaswered questions, and I just wanted to get a Christian's perspective.

Don't worry about it. We are more than happy to answer any sincere questions. Maybe tomorrow, though.

As the OP has requested a Christian perspective, let's try focus on that for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Jesus Himself asks. "Why do you call me good? Only God is good.."

Please, OP, read the Gospels before asking anyone else. Start at Matthew 5...

It really is so very simple, and Jesus says it all.

Blessings and peace
    Húrin wrote: »
    You would have to live a perfect life to live up to God's moral standard of "good". No human does that, because our behaviour is largely determined by a corrupted world, our corrupted hearts, and our choice to disobey our consciences. Thus we need a saviour to be reconciled with God. That is an answer which I think most Christians would agree with.

Whether disbelief in Jesus makes you worthy of eternal punishment, I will leave to those who believe it exists. I do not think that the Bible teaches it, instead I think it is a Greek heresy. I think that it makes you worthy of death, which is what the Bible does teach. (Romans 6:23)

Too tired to answer the others at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'll do my best to answer your questions. But please be aware that I'm not speaking for any specific denomination or even for religion in general. Indeed, your questions probably have little to do with religion and a whole lot more to do with Christian faith.
    Why do we worship God? Does he need or want to be worshipped? I know I'm applying a human morality to him, but it seems strange to me that we have to worship him (her? it?), to give praise and so forth.

Firstly, the word 'worship' seems to come attached with some baggage. In my case, I always assumed that worship involved dour prayers and being in a state of physical or mental genuflection. In other words, worship of God was something that was expected, not necessarily something that was to be enjoyed.

However, I now think differently on the mater. Worship is something freely and gladly given. Moreover, it isn't limited to knee bending and muttering devotions. Whether is through singing, creating music, painting, doing science, prayer, debate or whatever - the goal of worship isn't to stroke God's ego, it's an attempt to get closer to him, therein finding joy.
    That's the theory, anyway! I came across a useful analogy that might help explain what I'm trying to say a little better. (It works best if the analogy isn't stretched too far.)
    It was the unlikely Harry Potter that showed me why God wants us to worship Him. One of the new books had just been released and a few kids had it in their hands. They all had these huge smiles on their faces, two were screaming with their faces to the ceiling, and a couple of them had the Harry Potter glasses and clothes on. They were in active worship of Harry Potter! (Source)

So, no, God doesn't need our attention. But like the devotion between two people in love, Christians believe that worship is a natural consequence of a love relationship between humans and God.

I don't know whether (a) God exists or not, ergo I can't say I believe in him existing. I would rather he existed and there was a heaven, but I don't know - therefore I can't say I believe. For Christians, does belief become knowledge? Is the belief in God the rejection of doubt? Should I be punished in the afterlife for basing my life on my (broadly good) moral principles, but admitting uncertainty about God due to the same principles?
    I know that was 3 questions, but it boils down to: if someone lives a good life, is kind to people and so forth, but doesn't believe in God, is it not vindictive to punish them based on that?

There is a common misconception amongst some Christians and many non-Christians alike that heaven is the ultimate destination for those saved. As I see it, this is wrong for two reasons. Firstly, the point of becoming a Christian is to affect a positive change in your life today, not safeguarding against what happens when you kick the bucket. Whether one thinks it's all a load of crap, many (most?) Christians will attest to having a rewarding relationship with God through Jesus. Secondly, it's worth clarifying something. The notion that we are all going to knock around heaven for eternity is not supported by the bible. Mainstream and large denominations such as the RCC, Protestant Church, Pentecostal Church etc., etc. all believe that heaven is actually a temporary reality. In other words, 'heaven and earth shall pass away'. The ultimate destination is a new earth where God's plan is fulfilled; a place where sin and pain are no more and death has no dominion. (I only partially understand this concept myself.)

I waffled there a bit! Anyway, as Huirn has already provided you with answer, I'll make my response to your last question brief.

No, according to the bible, good deeds are not enough. It's not about being a good bloke (though there one assumes that good deeds would arise from your faith), it's about cleaning the mud off your shoes before you walk into the house.

As for damnation, I personally don't see it as an active form of punishment, rather it's separation form God. If the Christian God is everything that is good, then being separated form Him means that you are separated from everything good.

Why do people pray? Particularly in cases where people are sick, or in trouble. God doesn't interfere with free will, so what is the use in praying to him? I can acknowledge that it's therapeutic, but does it actually achieve anything?

Because they believe that God answers prayers. I have heard some extraordinary stories regarding prayer - some people attribute these stories to coincident, others to God's intercession. As for prayer interfering with free will - one would assume that you are praying not only to talk to God, but also for an intercession on His part. In other words, you are asking for His help which can't be simply considered a reduction of free will. For instance, if you phoned up a friend and asked her to give you a lift somewhere, would that be an impingement on your free will?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Worship means many things to many people. I look at worship as using your talents to glorify God, to credit Him with your life and abilities. Hence every time I coach I am worshipping. Every time I teach I am worshipping and every time I extend a helping hand or discover new relationships or enhance old ones I am worshipping.

To me, worship is about building your relationship with God and others.

I don't know whether (a) God exists or not, ergo I can't say I believe in him existing. I would rather he existed and there was a heaven, but I don't know - therefore I can't say I believe. For Christians, does belief become knowledge? Is the belief in God the rejection of doubt? Should I be punished in the afterlife for basing my life on my (broadly good) moral principles, but admitting uncertainty about God due to the same principles?

Hurin and FC answered this well. :)

We pray to have a conversation to God. Imagine a household where the parents cared for the children in complete silence. It wouldn't be all that edifying and loving. God seeks us, out of love. He wants for us to communicate with Him. Our lives are better when we do communicate with God as He lets us know what it is we should do.

His life for us is far better than anything we could dream up ourselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement