Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway houses

Options
  • 04-02-2009 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi i'm thinking of moving to Galway and just wanted to know which are the more respectable mature residential areas to start looking to buy in area. areas with a local school church and nice community.
    Anyone help please !!
    Thanks all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

ouch... touchy subject...
    the whole of galway is nice...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Taylors Hill? Salthill? I think you should visit Galway if you haven't already, drive around the areas and try to get a feeling for them.
    Galway only has one or two dodgy areas and they aren't even that dodgy.
    Will you be working in the city? Which part? Would you consider commuting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Set a budget then learn to www.daft.ie

If you find a house you like there then ask what kind of area it is.

Otherwise what can we tell you, without knowing your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Yea probably look at Taylors Hill or Salthill, you could also look at some of the estates on Circular Road, the Rise and the Heath. All of the above are pricey but nice.

If you're looking to live outside of the city Moycullen, Roscahill and Oughterard are to the west of the city and are all within about 15 miles.

Daft.ie will give you a fair idea of the price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

Yes it is hard to recommend anything without knowing what your budget is and if you will be working in any particular location but you might want to consider Newcastle/Dangan/Bushypark on the west side of the city or Mervue/Ballybane/Renmore on the east side, or further out you could look at Oranmore or Moycullen. These are well-established areas with strong local communities and good amenities.

That's not to say there is anything wrong with other/newer areas, but it's the reality, and not just in Galway, of how rampant development has been allowed without consideration being given to whether or not the infrastructure is there to support it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I'd recommend Oranmore. House next door to me is for sale at a bargin price: http://www.daft.ie/1406046

Seriously; I'd recommend trying out what might be your daily commute before you buy anywhere in Galway. I would be pis5ed off if I purchased a house I really like but then had to spend too long in the car everyday going to and from work. If you have family with young kids are might be having them you might consider moving to an area withyoung families. A lot of Salthill, Mervue and Renmore are older generations.
    In general I think Galway is the best place in Ireland to live. Good Luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

sgthighway wrote: »
    I'd recommend Oranmore. House next door to me is for sale at a bargin price: http://www.daft.ie/1406046

€1.6m for that?
    That needs a minimum 50% haircut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Ha, €1.6m! Your neighbour is on crack if he thinks he'll get that, or anywhere close.

savage gaff..

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

biko wrote: »
    Taylors Hill? Salthill? I think you should visit Galway if you haven't already, drive around the areas and try to get a feeling for them.
    Galway only has one or two dodgy areas and they aren't even that dodgy.
    Will you be working in the city? Which part? Would you consider commuting?

Yes they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If that house on on Taylor's Hill, with the same size garden, it still wouldn't fetch near the asking price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

An oldish house in rag order on a small site in Kingston (between Taylor's Hill and Knocknacarra) went for 890,000 a few weeks ago. The AMV was 860,000!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

churchview wrote: »
    An oldish house in rag order on a small site in Kingston (between Taylor's Hill and Knocknacarra) went for 890,000 a few weeks ago. The AMV was 860,000!

Might put the oul mans house up for sale in that case, given it's location it'd fetch more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Might put the oul mans house up for sale in that case, given it's location it'd fetch more than that

You might want to tell him first! ;):P

http://www.odonnjoyce.com/itemdetail.asp?ItemID=902

Above is a link to it.

You've got to love the auctioneer speak "The possibilities for modernisation are huge" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Yes they are.

Oh no their not

Webbs wrote: »
    Oh no their not

Oh yes they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cork Man, care to elaborate on your experiences? Any area in particular you refer to?

biko wrote: »
    Cork Man, care to elaborate on your experiences? Any area in particular you refer to?

Well one of the relative's did have an attempted break in broad daylight in one of the city's dodgier area's but i suppose it could easily have happened anywhere.

Nenah wrote: »
    Hi i'm thinking of moving to Galway and just wanted to know which are the more respectable mature residential areas to start looking to buy in area. areas with a local school church and nice community.
    Anyone help please !!
    Thanks all :)

Nenah,

You don't say where you're moving from? The reason I ask is that many people not from Galway underestimate the traffic problems there. I spend most of the midweek in Dublin and any time I'm back in Galway during the week, I'm shocked at how much worse traffic is in Galway than Dublin. Now most Dubliners don't seem to believe that traffic anywhere could be worse, but the fact is in Dublin, you can usually find a ratrun that gets you around things, with a bit of creative thinking. In Galway there are only three bridges over the Corrib. There are no ratruns to use - they simple don't exist.

So my advice; take people's warnings on traffic very seriously. If you are moving to Galway, come down midweek and drive your commute at peak times. Galway is a wonderful place to live, but no better than anywhere else if stuck in traffic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nenah wrote: »

Is that a church and a school you want, or a church-school? What flavour of church? (Not a stupid question ... Galway even offers a Seventh Day Adventist school, if that's your cup of tea!) National school or secondary?

I'd say there are good areas on either side of the city, let us know where you'll be working and we can advise from there.

(I'm with Mr Cork Man ... some areas are better than others ... far far better ...)

Advertisement