Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'God' signs on to play in the A-League

• 04-02-2009 3:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=740431
    Fowler signs with North Queensland Fury

12:36 AEST Wed Feb 4 2009

Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler has ended an anxious wait for A-League newcomers the North Queensland Fury and agreed to become their inaugural marquee player.

The Fury have been sweating on an answer since Fowler returned to England on January 22 to discuss a potential move to Australia with his family after spending a week in Townsville.

The Fury announced in Townsville on Wednesday that the former England international had signed a two-season deal.

North Queensland make their A-League debut in the 2009-10 season.

Signing the striker known by Liverpool fans as "God" is arguably the biggest coup in A-League history.

Fury coach Ian Ferguson and chairman Don Matheson had been in talks with Fowler since he was released by English Premier League side Blackburn recently.

"We want to win games - that's what we're about," Matheson said.

"Robbie is a legitimate international superstar of the game and there's no doubt he will give us every chance of winning.

"It's taken a lot of work to make this happen, but it was worth it because I really believe having him playing for North Queensland Fury FC will change the way people think about the A-League."

Fowler scored 183 goals in 265 appearances with Liverpool but also had stints with Leeds, Manchester City and Cardiff before emerging at Blackburn.

He scored seven goals in 27 appearances for England.

Fowler is hugely popular but has also had his share of controversy.

He made world headlines in 1999 when he responded to Everton taunts by mimicking cocaine snorting on the touchline during a goal celebration in a Merseyside derby.

Fowler will become the second high-profile Englishman to play in the A-League following Dwight Yorke's successful stint with Sydney FC in the competition's inaugural season.

Sydney almost lured Fowler to Australia in 2007 but the deal ultimately fell through.

Great news for the league. I'll go along when they play Glory here next season.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Sacrilage
    zmcgrath.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

fowler.jpg

498012766_a973abd396.jpg

:D

Liverpool legend and one of the most natural finishers I've ever seen. Great news for the A-League IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Since when was dwight york an englishman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Fowler will become the second high-profile Englishman to play in the A-League following Dwight Yorke's successful stint with Sydney FC in the competition's inaugural season.
    Epic fail.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Since when was dwight york an englishman?

Aussie journalists seem to have a major problem comprehending the fact that people who speak English aren't necessarily from England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Why couldn't the Irish league sign players like this? Great move by Fury.

Xavi? Will the league be on in September? I may go see them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

GuanYin wrote: »

Money, or lack there of.

Yeah it kicks off in September and runs til February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Dublin City signed Efan Ekoku and Carlton Palmer(?), Roddy Collins nearly got Vinnie Jones to sign apparently, waste of money. Would rather see money invested in youth set ups.

Oh and dunno who the 2 jokers mentioned are, the only God I know of works for Man City. (last I heard)

2 Gods in one picture.

kevinpaul.jpg

bohsman wrote: »
    Dublin City signed Efan Ekoku and Carlton Palmer(?), Roddy Collins nearly got Vinnie Jones to sign apparently, waste of money. Would rather see money invested in youth set ups.

Yeah, I prefer to see our clubs develop home talent, but I still would go and see Zidane or Fowler or Henry or Larson if they came to the MLS. If I'm honest, I went to see Beckham play when he was here... judge away ;)

I know guys here who support the EPL that would probably follow a team if a "legend" from their EPL team joined.

As much as you want development, you also want publicity and players to attract the most promising players. What local player wouldn't want to play along side Robbie Fowler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Unless he has some coaching ability its a waste of good money. He trained at Blackburn and got a three month pay as you play deal while Ince was there but as soon as Big Sam arrived it was time up and goodbye.

The A League has had plenty of has been stars sign for them in the past, Romario played there and there were a few others as well. I suppose it attracts fans over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

lol they were lucky to sign him to be honest! I would have thought making someone stay in Townsville for even a day would put them off moving over.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I prefer to see our clubs develop home talent, but I still would go and see Zidane or Fowler or Henry or Larson if they came to the MLS. If I'm honest, I went to see Beckham play when he was here... judge away ;)

I know guys here who support the EPL that would probably follow a team if a "legend" from their EPL team joined.

As much as you want development, you also want publicity and players to attract the most promising players. What local player wouldn't want to play along side Robbie Fowler?
    Well there is a huge difference between Beckham and Fowler, Beckham was a major part of Real Madrid's La Liga winning side the season before he signed for the Galaxy so in fairness he was still world class.
    Comparing Zidane and Fowler, well I don't know I personally wouldn't cross the road to see Fowler play nowadays, however Zizou was one of the best that ever played the game and I would definitely go to watch him play even now.
    Henry like Beckham is still a world class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Theres definitely benefits although Fowler really doesnt belong in the same sentence as the other players mentioned. As far as the league here goes clubs have a total wage bill of 10-20k a week, we are a long way off convincing any names big enough to make an impact to come over.

Ok, point taken, Fowler isn't the same class.

However, among Liverpool fans ages 25+ Fowler is a god and still one of the most natural strikers ever to play the game (I still study his game) :)

If you want to build a league, you need to attract fans. Fowler, as far as I know, is one of the richest players in England due to his investment strategies and has previously stated that he doesn't play for money anymore so wage bills would not matter if the right pitch was made.

The 'marquee' signing is definitely the way to go.

In the A-League we've had Juninho, Dwight Yorke and now Robbie Fowler. These are household names to all us ex-pats who get up at 3am every weekend to watch the Premiership. Of course we're going to want to go see these kind of players in the flesh.

A-League clubs are bankrolled by serious money-men so the wages aren't even an issue. It's all about getting arses on seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Love the guy to bits. Best of luck Robbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm sure money is the main factor. I assume crowds are far better too? Also the weather and the cultural experience must also be a draw.

Always rated Fowler too. Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kultural experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Highsider wrote: »
    Love the guy to bits. Best of luck Robbie

Same here. Wish it worked out better for him when he came back to the pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

mike65 wrote: »
    Kultural experience?

= Far more mots in bikinis than around Tallaght, Phibsboro, or Inchicore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

He made world headlines in 1999 when he responded to Everton taunts by mimicking cocaine snorting on the touchline during a goal celebration in a Merseyside derby.

What was it Houllier said cameroon grass eating celebration?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

North Queensland Fury?

Where are they based?

Cairns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The 'marquee' signing is definitely the way to go.

In the A-League we've had Juninho, Dwight Yorke and now Robbie Fowler.These are household names to all us ex-pats who get up at 3am every weekend to watch the Premiership. Of course we're going to want to go see these kind of players in the flesh.

A-League clubs are bankrolled by serious money-men so the wages aren't even an issue. It's all about getting arses on seats.

How dare you leave out this man.

carbone7_wideweb__470x277,0.jpg

Des wrote: »
    North Queensland Fury?

Where are they based?

Cairns?
    He said it earlierk, Townsville, Far North Queensland, a really hot place, as in you can't stay outside its so hot most of time.

Fowler is to play his first game for North Queensland here in Perth on July 15th in a preseason friendly against Wolves. Fulham are also coming over :D

http://www.perthglory.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=27310
    Fulham joins Glory's football feast

Monday, 4 May 2009

Perth Glory’s ambitious plans for the season ahead has scored another vital goal with Fulham Football Club agreeing to play a pre-season friendly in Western Australia, making them the second English Premier League team set to take on the Glory in July.

It is a massive coup for Perth who will be the only Hyundai A-League side to play two teams from the world’s best competition during their pre-season campaign when Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fulham tackle the Glory at Members Equity Stadium.

“This is an historic and momentous occasion for Perth Glory and football in Western Australia,” said Perth Glory Owner & Chairman Mr Tony Sage.

“We’ve achieved something no other side in Australia has been able to do and that’s to arrange two matches against Premier League teams. It has been more than a decade since a top-flight European side has played in Western Australia and now we’re delivering two of the best in a week!

“I’ve made a commitment to give something to Western Australia, enhance the profile of football in this state and take Perth Glory back to the top and this is just part of that commitment. There are still many more key announcements to come for the club, it’s an exciting time to be involved with Perth Glory,” said Mr Sage.

West Australian football fans will also be treated to former England International Robbie Fowler pulling on the boots in his first major outing in the country. The North Queensland Fury marquee and his team mates have been confirmed to take part in the July blockbusters in Perth.

The Glory will play Wolverhampton on Friday 10 July at Members Equity Stadium followed by a massive double act on Wednesday 15 July when the Glory play Fulham and Wolves tackle Fowler and the Fury.

“There has been plenty of buzz around since we announced Wolverhampton were coming and having Fulham, Fowler and the Fury here as well will get the heart rate pumping even faster,” said Mr Sage.

“This is a treat not only for Perth Glory supporters but for sporting fans in general in WA and I am confident that they will pack out Members Equity Stadium to see some of the world’s best players in action.”

Perth Glory Deputy Chairman and acting Chief Executive Officer Mr Liu Giuliani has been at the forefront of negotiations to bring these high profile matches to Perth and believes they can be the catalyst for successful ongoing relationships.

“It is a great outcome not only for Perth Glory but football in this state. Fulham are a very professional outfit and we had the pleasure of meeting with them in England. They were very accommodating and keen to build ties in Australia and we can only see benefits in this for us,” Mr Giuliani said.

“The bonds have been created, we are the only Australian club to go and visit Fulham and that has created a significant bond and we’re building an active relationship with both Fulham and Wolverhampton.

“We’re excited about not only what it brings to us in the immediate future but also in the long term,” said Mr Giuliani.

Fulham, who boast a bevy of star players including Socceroos goal keeper Mark Schwarzer, will play three matches across Australia starting on the Gold Coast, followed by Melbourne and finishing in Perth.

Manager Roy Hodgson believes the trip will be excellent preparation for their new campaign and expects some tough opposition from each of the Hyundai A-League teams.

“I am very pleased that we can announce our early pre-season plans and, although this season is yet to end, I am looking forward to our trip to Australia,” Hodgson said.

“We have an opportunity to play three teams of quality who I am sure will want to put on good performances against us, which of course is what one hopes will assist the team in both their personal preparations, but also of course collectively.”

Glory Head Coach Dave Mitchell, who spent time at Fulham on his recent scouting trip to Europe, is also excited about challenging his players against top quality opposition.

“You couldn’t ask for better pre-season program than taking on these great sides,” Mitchell said.

“Tony (Sage) has invested a significant amount to get these teams here and we will use the time to learn as much as we can. Preparation is paramount to success and with these sides coming over we are definitely on the right path for our season.

“It is a wonderful opportunity for fans to see some great games while for our players it’s a chance to take on some of the best in the world and no doubt they’ll be out there to make a good impression,” Mitchell said.

Perth Glory 2009/10 members will be given priority access to purchase tickets before they’re released to the general public. Membership packages are being finalised and will be available for sale shortly.

Details on ticket sales will be release through the club’s website.

Proposed match details *

Friday, 10 July 2009
    Perth Glory v Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Members Equity Stadium, Perth
    Kick-off TBA, tickets on sale TBA

Wednesday, 15 July 2009
    Match 1 - Perth Glory v Fulham Football Club
    Match 2 - Wolverhampton Wanderers v North Queensland Fury
    Members Equity Stadium, Perth
    Kick-off TBA, tickets on sale TBA

Saturday, 18 July 2009
    Perth Glory v North Queensland Fury
    Venue TBA

*Please note dates are subject to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Jaysus, when you said "bad" you really meant bad.

Its funny comparing this to the adebayor incident with RVP.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

bloody hell

Robbie must think he's Eddy Gordo from Tekken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

fowler.jpg

I never knew this...
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In 1999, Fowler was fined £60,000 by his club for bringing the game into disrepute. Whilst celebrating his goal against Liverpool's Merseyside rivals, Everton, Fowler used the white line of the penalty area to simulate cocaine use.[8][18] Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier stated that this was a Cameroonian grass eating celebration, learnt from teammate Rigobert Song.[19]

What an excuse!!

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:D

Funneh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

kenon wrote: »
    I never knew this...

What an excuse!!

yeah, in robbie's book he was saying how he was practically facepalming when Houllier wheeled out that one!

lol at the tackle while lying down !!

incidentally i prefer this version of the tackle; Headphones definitely needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Did he not get a card for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    incidentally i prefer this version of the tackle; Headphones definitely needed!

Nice bit of acrobatics from Fowler there. 10/10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

He scored a cracker last week against Brisbane Roar, cant find a decent youtube clip of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Melion wrote: »
    He scored a cracker last week against Brisbane Roar, cant find a decent youtube clip of it.

One thing Robbie will always do is score goals if he's given the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

kenon wrote: »
    Jaysus, when you said "bad" you really meant bad.

Its funny comparing this to the adebayor incident with RVP.
    I doubt Fowler meant that in fairness. He tried to flip himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

God may be up front but with a guy who couldn't get a game for Bray Wanderers in goal, they're going to struggle. Just looking at some of the goals in the Gold Coast game, a lot of them seemed so easy to score giving the keepers positioning and time taken to dive for the ball.

Went along to see Fowler's boys take on Perth Glory today and Robbie was pretty awful. Fluffed a couple of chances and was hauled off after 70 minutes. Major let down.

Few pics and a bit of a report here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

What are attendances like for A league games Xabi, looks like a good crowd there?

• Advertisement

Pretty bad tbh. There was just under 13,000 there today and that was the second highest attendance Glory have ever had apparently. The teams over east get better attendances I think, though one or two of the newer teams are really struggling to turn a profit.

The standard of football is pretty poor in general though so that doesn't help.

Scored a sneaky free kick yesterday (3.10 mins) -

The winning goal wasn't too shabby either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Scored a real strikers finish again just there. The Fury are actually starting to look like a football team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

2-0, Fowler with a penalty! Surely should be called up to the England squad on this form!

And he has walked out!

Got dropped and refused to sit on the bench so he stormed out right before their weekend game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

And he has walked out!

Got dropped and refused to sit on the bench so he stormed out right before their weekend game.

I'd heard he'd caused some grief all right, didn't think he'd actually be so low as to walk out over it though. And for all he's treated them, it seems they are still offering him an olive branch (or is this out of date?)
    ''You don't get too many Robbie Fowlers on your door step. I still want him at the club, I want to make it perfectly clear, I don't want rid of Robbie Fowler. The only thing that happened here is Robbie's been put on the bench, Robbie didn't want to be on the bench and I think it's all been blown out of proportion.''
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/nth-qld-hierarchy-sort-out-fowlerferguson-dispute-596301

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

"God":pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

he would not lace Cantona or Bergkamps shoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

"God":pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

he would not lace Cantona or Bergkamps shoes
    No, you are right, he wouldn't.

And why should he, he was far better than both of those.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Zola>Bergkamp>Fowler>Cantona

CHD wrote: »
    Zola>Bergkamp>Fowler>Cantona

quality players all, i'd have your top 3 just about on a par with each other, when in their prime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement