Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laws Regarding Dive Knives and Spear Guns in Ireland

• 04-02-2009 8:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi All,

I'm currently living in the US, in California where I dive twice a week, great life eh? I am set to return to Ireland soon ( Visa is up) and am wondering what the laws are regarding flying into Ireland with dive knives and I also have my trusty spear gun. I will probably leave the spear gun in the US as it would freak out the authorities way too much back home but as regards dive knives can I just put them in my checked luggage and fly back with them???

All my American friends laugh about the spear gun being possibly illegal in Ireland then again they're used to the firearms culture here that seems insane to the reat of the world.

Advice from any exoerts would be appreciated.

P365

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

P365 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm currently living in the US, in California where I dive twice a week, great life eh? I am set to return to Ireland soon ( Visa is up) and am wondering what the laws are regarding flying into Ireland with dive knives and I also have my trusty spear gun. I will probably leave the spear gun in the US as it would freak out the authorities way too much back home but as regards dive knives can I just put them in my checked luggage and fly back with them???

All my American friends laugh about the spear gun being possibly illegal in Ireland then again they're used to the firearms culture here that seems insane to the reat of the world.

Advice from any exoerts would be appreciated.

P365

Well with aerlingus at least you can even check in a sports gun as long as you have the proper paper work so ass regards the knives, no problem I imagine.

Don't know about the spear gun though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The shooting forum would be a good place to ask about the spear gun.
    I suspect they would be classed similarly to crossbows and would require a licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

You will be able to check the knives. Better if they are part of dive equipment.

As you are probably aware, it is illegal to use a speargun while on scuba in Ireland.
    If you intend to use it freediving then it may well be carried as checked luggage.
    If you do not intend doing so ther wouldn't be much point in bringing it back IMO.

Seadeuce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 P365

The spear gun is a dangerous bit of kit I must admit. There are 3 powerful rubber slings on it and a big warning that says do not load or fire out of the water. Spear fishing is so much fun though. I'm going out Lobster hunting tonight in Los Angeles (2 dives with air and boat $50). License was $48 and you can catch 7 legal lobster at a time. The spiney back lobster have no claws so it is just like 'Lamping Rabbits'. You dive at night shine your light at them and then grab and pin them to a rock or the seabed, but be under no illusions when the whip that tail they're gone like a bullet through the water.

Is there a similar lobster license divers can get in Ireland.

If anyone is moving over here or coming on holidays get as many qaulifications while here. I got my PADI rescue diver certification for $125 at a 'Very Reputable' dive shop in LA. Nitrox course next week with books is $125 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

As seaduce said, spearfishing in Ireland is illegal on Scuba.
    There is no such licence to enable you to do this and if caught you run the risk of all equipment being confiscated (possibly vehicle too) and prosecution.
    Not aware of catch limits while free diving though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

P365 afaik limits are 40cm minimum for bass and a max catch of two per person per day. No spearing of salmon is allowed no spearing in freshwater is allowed. Dont even have scuba kit back in your car/van as its a big no no to have the two together. Pollock is very plentiful and relativly easy to shoot a good size one. Pneumatic spearguns need a license as are regarded as firearms but band guns are cool and the gang. Also depends on the size of the gun if it would be any good here I think a 70-90 would be loads any bigger and you wont have the vis or will cut the fish in half. Alos bass or mullet move very fast in shallow water and a smaller faster moving gun would be a bonus imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Some misinformation here.

Band guns are fine. 90cm is good for most conditions, 75cm for dirty water/east coast
    Pneumatic are classed as airguns/firearms and will need licensing.

Scuba spearing is fine (if not exactly sporting), there are no laws regarding spearing fish while using breathing apparatus.
    In fact there are no laws at all regarding marine spearfishing in Ireland.

Taking shellfish on scuba is illegal (lobster, crab, urchins, scallop mussels etc.)
    Taking shellfish while freediving is fine, although the caveat applies that not all shellfish lying on the seafloor are yours to take.
    Some areas are set aside for scallop farming and if you are found by the farmer it would not make for a great scene.

Bass limit and MLS is correct at 40cm and 2 per day.

Salmonids are asking for trouble, and freshwater spearing will also not make you any friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

As far as I'm aware, if you're bringing multiple dive knives with you, I'd make sure you also have plenty of other scuba equipment with you too, to at least make it look like it makes sense that you have the knives.

They are, after all, life saving pieces of kit.

If you just have a stack of knives in your suitcase I'm sure questions will be asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Ratsathome

I took two sets of samurai katana's on the plane to South Africa.As long as they are with your main luggage it will be ok.I phoned the baggage department before and they said in will be ok.Had them in their boxes wraped with brown box tape.

Advertisement