Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling multipack items individually

Options
  • 04-02-2009 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

Was in the shop the other day went to get a can of coke and noticed they were all multipack cans being sold individually . These were not being sold off at a reduced price, full price €1 each the very same cans that can be purchased in newry for €3 a dozen . Complained at the counter but got the "I know nating" response .
    Didn't purchase of course

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Was in the shop the other day went to get a can of coke and noticed they were all multipack cans being sold individually . These were not being sold off at a reduced price, full price €1 each the very same cans that can be purchased in newry for €3 a dozen . Complained at the counter but got the "I know nating" response .

Only in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

was that a certain petrol station by any chance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

blahblah06 wrote: »
    was that a certain petrol station by any chance

It was indeed yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭signman12

fusco's take away in dublin does the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

contact coca cola about this as if they are using coca cola fridges to sell this stock coca cola will remove it or insist that all this "cheap" stock is removed from their fridges as the only stock allowed in their fridges has to be scourced from them or approved by them and they frown on the practice of using cans/bottles with non-english labels or selling multi-pack cans seperately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭signman12

I did contact coca cola about this & they told me that they could ask their rep to ask them not to do this but there was really nothing they can do about this practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

I've seen this a number of times at my local branch of a supermarket chain. Not lately though. Maybe complaints were made and action taken to stop it.
    The practice is out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Zxc wrote: »
    I've seen this a number of times at my local branch of a supermarket chain. Not lately though. Maybe complaints were made and action taken to stop it.
    The practice is out of order.

Why? Does the coke taste different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

wyndham wrote: »
    No, but it's supposed to retail as a multipack, that has a different mark-up on it. It's nothing to do with taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

I've noticed on numerous occasions some convenience stores selling multipack items individually. I even saw one shop selling deodorants (iirc) clearly marked 'free sample'. Feck them, I just don't buy anything from them anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

At least the shop isn't selling cheap cans imported from Eastern Europe for more than the normal RRP of the domestic cans. The stuff from Eastern Europe tastes totally different to the Coke from the UK and Ireland

A few of the Londis shops in town do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

wyndham wrote: »

It's out of order because the retailer is pocketing the discount that was meant to be passed on to the customer. If coke didn't want to discount it's wares they wouldn't have produced the multipack in the first place.

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If he sold normal cans he might charge more. Who is to say they are not passing on any discount?
    Complained at the counter but got the "I know nating" response .
    What did you say? Were you looking for it cheaper, or thought it was illegal to sell them individually?
    I did contact coca cola about this & they told me that they could ask their rep to ask them not to do this but there was really nothing they can do about this practice.
    Seems it is above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This is between the retailer and the distributor, how a retailer sells their good is up to them, they could break it into a million tiny pieces and sell it if someone wanted to buy it, as long as it wasn't falsely advertised.

I see people complaining about rip off Ireland, a lot of this is due to the control the ditributor has over the channel, to dictate pricing (witness car's being roughly the same price everywhere in Ireland, or Apple have very draconian rules about how much you can sell their product for). The more retailers break their rules, the better for the consumer and for the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'd do the same thing, but why would it matter to the consumer? The can is the same isn't it? Well done wasting your time going somewhere else to buy the same thing for the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Why do you care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Rod & Reel

best thing to do is reverse the logic on them OP. go to the store and open there multipacks and take 1 from there. and if the say outh just say u thou it was common practice as ur coke is multipack sold seperate. dont think they be to pleased but would u care.

Advertisement