Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom and Binary Newsgroups (SSL)

Options
  • 04-02-2009 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was just wondering how the new eircom deal will effect users using Binary Newsgroups with SSL encryption.

Not to go too much into it, but obviously there are plenty of legitimate reasons for downloading open source software through news groups.

If a customer is using Giganews with SSL will this be monitored?

It was my understanding that eircom cant really filter/monitor SSL sessions and I would assume it'd be almost impossible for anyone (other than yourself) to obtain you email address.

Cheers,

iRock

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

this only affect people dumb enough to be using torrents and kazaa like programs

or ones not bothering changing their wireless router settings :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

ionix5891 wrote: »
    this only affect people dumb enough to be using torrents and kazaa like programs

or ones not bothering changing their wireless router settings :P

Sounds good to me!

Can't beat newsgroups anyway IMO :D

iRock wrote: »
    Sounds good to me!

Can't beat newsgroups anyway IMO :D

tho we could get into a interesting situation where RIAA could just fire blank letters to any random Eircom ip address (they resorted to extortion before) and Eircom in turn screw the customer

since this "decision" is not grounded in law Eircom just gave a blank cheque book to RIAA (whatever they called in ireland)

anyways read this
    http://torrentfreak.com/eircom-customers-wide-open-to-erroneous-disconnection-090202/

the last paragraph is interesting
    Equally, anyone with one of these routers could simply claim they have been the victim of a hacker and Eircom would have to believe them. I’m sure we’ll be hearing more about this situation before long.

if you are in any way worried about privacy, either setup/buy a vpn service or tunnel via ssh thru your own servers/vps elsewhere

Ireland is turning it China fast :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If a customer is using Giganews with SSL will this be monitored?

It was my understanding that eircom cant really filter/monitor SSL sessions and I would assume it'd be almost impossible for anyone (other than yourself) to obtain you email address.

eircom aren't monitoring anything, or anyone. They're also not interested in your email address.

There's also no detail on how exactly the companies that will be hired to obtain IP addresses will do this, and what networks they will be looking at, or if they will be limited. There are methods, which may well be illegal, by which they could get your IP from the usenet downloads. Whether they will do this or not, is an unknown.

Remember, eircom won't know what's going through an SSL connection, be that torrent or usenet packets, but the computer at the other end does know. It's at that end, that the monitoring will be done.

Also, just because this thread is not part of the eircom thread, doesn't mean you can get away with discussing methods of downloading copyright material. Consider this the only warning, should this discussion go any further.

jor el wrote: »
    Also, just because this thread is not part of the eircom thread, doesn't mean you can get away with discussing methods of downloading copyright material. Consider this the only warning, should this discussion go any further.

vpns or shh tunnels are used by companies and individuals around the world to secure connections, just because they can be used for other purposes means boards will censor the information? interesting

• Advertisement

vpns or shh tunnels are used by companies and individuals around the world to secure connections, just because they can be used for other purposes means boards will censor the information? interesting

As has been pointed out on the other thread, discussing anything like this in the context of circumventing the music industry's attempt to curb music piracy, will not be tolerated. This is not censorship, it is the policy of this board to protect itself against possible legal action.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Hi all,

I was just wondering how the new eircom deal will effect users using Binary Newsgroups with SSL encryption.

Not to go too much into it, but obviously there are plenty of legitimate reasons for downloading open source software through news groups.

It depends on the Rights Holders, not eircom.

Why? Mirror servers, Heanet, Torrents all better and free for Open Source than NewsGroups. The ONLY reason to use Binary Newsgroups is Warez and copyright infringement. It's a really daft way to get OpenSource. Less choice, slower, more out of date, more likely to be trojaned.

As has been pointed out on the other thread, discussing anything like this in the context of circumventing the music industry's attempt to curb music piracy, will not be tolerated. This is not censorship, it is the policy of this board to protect itself against possible legal action.

ok thanks for explaining i understand and agree

maybe moderators can lock the thread

what needs to be said was said

eircom aren't monitoring anything, or anyone. They're also not interested in your email address.

There's also no detail on how exactly the companies that will be hired to obtain IP addresses will do this, and what networks they will be looking at, or if they will be limited. There are methods, which may well be illegal, by which they could get your IP from the usenet downloads. Whether they will do this or not, is an unknown.

Remember, eircom won't know what's going through an SSL connection, be that torrent or usenet packets, but the computer at the other end does know. It's at that end, that the monitoring will be done.

Doh!

I meant IP address.... the guys here were talking about a blackberry server in the background so I was typing what I was hearing! :D Im always doing that!

Question asked and answered. Further discussion is likely to go awry, and could probably be kept to the other thread.

• Advertisement

ok thanks for explaining i understand and agree

maybe moderators can lock the thread

what needs to be said was said

Agreed - I don't mind if thats what you want to do.

Wasn't my intention to stir anything like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement