Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, I signed a document but I don't know what it was and I can't get a copy

Options
  • 04-02-2009 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi, I’ve signed a document thinking it was a lease but now I'm being told it wasn’t. Yes I know I shouldnt sign things without understanding them, but its the same document I signed in my last house.

The document was about 4 or 5 pages iirc and I filled in my PPS number and the rent I was paying per month and the days date. I don’t have a copy of it and he says he cant give me one.

I'm living in a 2 bed flat with one other person. He says that the lease is in his name, and that it’s a huge big document and that the form I signed is for claiming rent relief tax credits. I applied for tax credits myself separately several months later.

I'm a little concerned.
    I don’t know what I signed.
    I don’t know what my rights are re: the house, especially what happens if one of us wants to moves out.

Can anyone please help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭slagger

Can you remember if it is this document that you signed??

http://www.prtb.ie/DownloadDocs/RegistrationForm.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

he says he cant give me one

Who is "he", your landlord, a flatmate? and why can't he give give you a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 SilverChair

slagger wrote: »
    Can you remember if it is this document that you signed??

http://www.prtb.ie/DownloadDocs/RegistrationForm.pdf
    Yep thats it, what is it?

grizzly wrote: »
    Who is "he", your landlord, a flatmate? and why can't he give give you a copy.
    My flatmate, he says the landlord sent it off and there isnt a copy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭slagger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 SilverChair

Thanks. So my flatmate has signed a lease and I am also registered with the PRTB.

Am I covered by my flat mates lease, ie do I have the rights and obligations he has? Do I lose them if he moves out?

Or am I living there without a lease, and if so is that a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you haven't signed the lease, you can't really be held to it. However, in such a case you will have rights and some obligations under what is called a Part 4 lease under the Residential Tenancies Act.

On a day to day basis, this generally isn't a problem. There may be issues if you want to move (you have to give notice) or if you have a dispute with the landlord or flatmate.

Advertisement