Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc chorus ntl - what to do

Options
  • 04-02-2009 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

When we decided to go with upc last year I was very wary, constantly saying considering bad service I had previously from chorus when I lived in Meath I thought it was a risk. Hubbie wanted the huge broadband so eventually I agreed. I have had non stop complaints. For the first 3 mnonths I had broken service which was constantly being blamed on road works nearby. For most of these 3 months I received service for roughly 2 hours per day. I then had almost one full months without service in May. Each time I disputed with them why I should be paying for the service but they insisted I had to continue paying and when the issue was resolved I would be refunded.

I was never refunded. Problems persisted with a day here and a day there, I constantly called and had manitenance people out to the house but still bad service.

Fast forward January, problems with my bank account and over draft being cancelled my payment was returned, within a couple of days I was receiving threatening mails, you will be cut off etc, I was very irritated as I had so much problems with them that were still going on. The following day my net went once again so I called and said I would be happy to cancel, at this stage they had already cancelled my direct debit after 1 mised payment which would have caused me more hassle to set up again had I wished to stay with them. So the guy on the phone says to me that I was still entitled to proper service for the remainder of my 30 days notice and I got onto technical support to a great guy, he was shocked by looking at my account and even told me that it was against eu regulations for me to have to pay for a service I was not getting and would arrange for someone to contact me about refunds.

Of course someone called saying well if you stay with us you get half price net for 2 months and 20 euro off your tv for 4 months and this will cover all we owe you, I politely declined and said I would prefer the amount being put off what was due as I was closing the account. He was to call back.

9 days later, yesterday I called, I explained my irritation at the lack of reply to the situation and that if it was resolved I would stay as I dont have the time to be messing about with new suppliers. They offered me 37 euro refund which again I declined, I explained all the time I was without and that it was obviously more than that. Again we will call you back.

This morning tv is down to basics. I call again, again offered 37, and told well the last time you called us was October so it mustnt be a monthly thing, every month I call, well they were so wrong because there was a technician here last week so obviously problems are not being correctly noted. I explained I would like detailed information on my account for the previous year with all activity on the internet recorded so I can take the matter further. Oh I can only get that with written confirmation. Last written confirmation was never replied to, so I say sorry just put me through to someone superior that can organise this yet nobody superior is available.

I am so irritated, and dont I have the right to be, so I would love to know who I should contact about this since an employee of theirs admitted the situation was breaking eu regulations there has to be somebody. I have spent countless hours on the phone begging for a service I was paying for and at this stage I cant put up with it anymore. If I displayed this service in my business I would never work again.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Put the complaint in writing with registered post, they will try to get you to accept less but keep on sending it back (and include the cost for the post, the phone calls AND charge a time spent on your side as well to specified up with the loss of service in terms of what you expect).

It is simply standard tactics to try to offer less (I recall with another service for UK our standard set up was first to request it in writing, then offer the outstanding bill, then outstanding bill + 3 month, then +6 months, then +9 months, then +12 months etc.) and always require the answer in writing. The whole point is to frustrate the customer to accept less then what they should get to cut corners. Of course UK has some actual authorities that can put the hut on companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Does anybody know if there is any governing body that this issue can be brought to? I have contacted upc a few times since this each time being promised return contact, the only contact I received was today from a girl insisting immediate payment which I declined saying I had already instructed her colleagues that payment will be made when the oputstanding issue is settled and that her company has owed me a refund a lot longer than I have owed the one months payment she is looking for!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i had more less the exact same problem as you.

i finally wrote to them and told them i was going to Com Reg. if the problem wasnt resolved in 7 days.

Surprise surprise it was all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Good to hear, I have printed a 3 page letter outlining all details of account and sent it to 4 different departments.

When speaking to the rude accounts person I had to ask her to allow me to finish my sentence as she kept cutting across me. I told her she would get her money when I got mine, they owe me longer than I owe them simple as!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I was also having problems with them. It went on for months. I finally mentioned Comreg and it was all sorted the same evening. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement