Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I right to push?! Rent?! Advice required

Options
  • 04-02-2009 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

2 bed FF apartment in D18. was paying 1650 when signed up lease last april. Obviously that is WAY too much now. Going rate is about 1200 - 1400 average.
    Agent initially offered to lower to 1500 for the next year, said landlord would be fine with that he was sure. I did some research and realised it was way to much. I said 1400. the agent said, landlord wanted 1450 but would meet half way at 1425. am I wrong to stand my ground here. I think 1400 is more than fair given we are secure tenants (secure jobs, always pay on time) and that prices will continue to fall for next 12 months. Plus availability is sky high with 68 smilar properties in the immediate area for lease. In fact there are 2 FF apartments in the same building! for 1200 and 1300 respectively. they are a floor lower than us, but still, hardly warrants an extra 2700euro a year in rent for ours surely.
    We kept the property very well and never contacted agent or landlord once. Replaced broken transformer in a spotlight ourselves and some other general maintenance. I would have thought we would be a landlords dream given the current climate. Guess I was wrong. No qualms in moving, Im just really surprised someone(agent? or landlord?) would push tenants who were secure, reliable, and willing to pay over the odds at 1400.
    Am I totally on the wrong page here? (I may be, so open to constructive criticism)

*edit

By the way, Im not on about adjusting the current lease. We agreed to pay 1650 for 12 months and will do so. I'm on about trying to arrange a new 1 year lease for the same property from april.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Tell the agent you are going to move to an apartment in the same block that is 1200 a month, send him/her the daft link as proof of it's existence. Tell them for the sake of the hassle of moving you'd be willing to stay where you are for 1300.

See how they react.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

spockety wrote: »
    Tell the agent you are going to move to an apartment in the same block that is 1200 a month, send him/her the daft link as proof of it's existence. Tell them for the sake of the hassle of moving you'd be willing to stay where you are for 1300.

See how they react.

I didn't send the link on daft, but I fully made clear the other two apartments for 1200 and 1300 one floor below us! The agent doesn't seem interested at all, and often takes a week to get back in touch. Im sure he is busy but Im not really feeling this is a priority for them, but he is on the verge of losing us for the landlord. I'd probably text the landlord direct except I don't have his number. I'd be amazed he is really pushing this (risking finding fresh tenants over 25 euro).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭FibbersON

Go look at the other apartments in your block, if you need to move stuff it'll only take half a day.

Stand your ground, 1400 is the highest you'll pay, or else you'll just move in downstairs.

Edit: Actually no, say 1250 if you can get one for 1200

I know your right... I do like the apartment and it is probbaly more convenient to stay than to change, but 1400 is more than fair as far as I can work out from comments here, and from the availability and price in the same area (and building).
    I have left email and voicemail for agent. I 'll see what he says when he rings back. but I have to draw the limit at 1400. We are basically agreeing to pay 1400 for a year, and I can't imagine what things will be like in october or november with new budget, more taxes, and lower rents still, so just can't budge over 1400.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I'd move if I were you and let the agent/landlord worry about finding other tenants... Especially since you can move down a floor! TBH, the same thing is happening to me, we've been where we are for 6 years, been very good and solid tenants but the price we're paying is unreasonable by today's standards and the agent/landlord seem oblivious to that fact. As soon as our lease is up in April, I'm out of there (the attitude of the agent we're dealing with has led me to not bother staying even with a fairly drastic rent reduction).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Some good advice in the other posts, after the fuss and considering the other two available apartments I would be sour even paying €1400.

some good points there. thanks alot. I know I should just leave and forget bargaining. even 1400 is over priced. I suppose we are just comfortable (lazy is unfair) and would prefer to stay. but hey... preferences and finance don't mix well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

The agent must know you're a soft case. Time to grow some balls. Offer 1300or you move.

Did you see today's unemployment figures...horrifying stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bugnut

Your landlord and his/her agent must like the rest of us take a hit and do their bit for the economy.

There has to be a resetting of prices and expectations across the board if our children ever have a chance of having a reasonable standard of living without a lottery win.

Don't feel that you are being mean but we all know the current situation it just takes a little time for the penny to really drop for some like Real Estate agents and Car Dealers.
    They are so used to naming their price to lemming like consumers( no offence) they are having a hard time adjusting.

Anyway how will you feel when those empty appartments are still for rent at maybe 900-1000 euro as they probably will in 4-6 months.

All the best.

DJDC wrote: »
    The agent must know you're a soft case. Time to grow some balls. Offer 1300or you move.

Did you see today's unemployment figures...horrifying stuff.

haha.. That made me laugh... :D Oj, good point though. your right about the unemployment figures. The landlords need to get real. Having a secure income from your property should be their number one concern, bit squeezing out as much as you can. those days are gone... I should do my bit and move. Will mobilise the missus this evening.

Bugnut: It's a stark picture, but damn it your right. I would be kicking myself when those apartments are still for rent in 3 or 4 months for a few 100 less. And thats certainly likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I am an owner occupier, who recently advertised a room, and unlike the others on the market in the area, I went below the going rate, as I have the view that is better to have some rent coming in, rather than leaving a room empty. Needless to say, all the others are still up on Daft, whilst due to my thinking, I secured a tenant. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

A similar thing happened to a girl I work with. She was paying €1,100 for a 1 bed place in Dublin city centre when a place went up for rent in the same building (exact same size/layout) for €900. Her contract was ending so she asked the landlord to match the new price. He didn't return the calls for 2 weeks and when he did he offered €1,075. She moved into the other flat and the old one is still empty (he has since ended up dropping it to €1,000, but not filled it).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to whoever is advertising the other apartments and see if they will go below €1,200. :)

Tell the agent you aren't happy and suggest that the landlord contact you directly - he may be willing to go lower than the agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Tom123

Doesn't the letting agent get paid more when they find a new tenant?

I think it would be a good idea to get in contact with the landlord directly.

your both right... Still no word form the agent after I left voicemail and email yesterday morning. Totally being blanked. No excuse.
    Went to view the other apartment in the block. The person showing me the apartment said yes, the landlord would drop below 1300 for the right tenant and she could not actually believe I was being blanked by my current agent.
    Tom123, I think you are right. They must get more getting someone new in. regardless of what they get that person in for. I need to speak to landlord direct. you are right. I really wish I still had his number (lost it in a phone wipe issue). I have met the landlord before when I phoned him to pick up a ring we found under the bed shortly after moving in, and he seemed like a very nice man. I need to just ring him and explain there are 2 apartments below us for 200 and 250euro cheaper per month! Does he wish to have our secure rent for another 12 months or will we move. simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Play hard ball. Do you want that 2700 in your pocket or in the landords pocket due to laziness on your part?
    Its a business transaction, the landord is not your friend.

still no reply to my voicemails and emails to the agent one week on. sent a letter to the landlord direct regarding my intentions to move across the hall if an agreement that suits both partied cannot be found. I'm sure we'll be able to come to a compromise. will wee.

spoke to landlord. situation resolved. Found mutual agreement very easily. Still no word from the agent. Told landlord to contact him regarding lease or whatever, I've given up on him. useless. Sometimes having a 3rd party facilitate is more hindrance than help. :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

How much did you agree to pay in the end?

Advertisement