Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New UPC Customer

Options
  • 04-02-2009 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Two questions, and please don't take my head off for my inexperience.

1 - Do UPC throttle torrents, and is there anything that can be done to avoid this?

2 - I'm using a supplied Netgear router. I'd like to change the network name and WEP key, how do I do this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Bobo148 wrote: »
    1 - Do UPC throttle torrents, and is there anything that can be done to avoid this?
    Not that I'm aware of.
    2 - I'm using a supplied Netgear router. I'd like to change the network name and WEP key, how do I do this?

Depends on the router. Read the instruction manual, and change from WEP to WPA, as WEP is next to useless.

Did UPC supply the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

I just signed up to UPC, it was installed on monday last.

I have noticed a significant speed loss on torrents. I was using BT 8mb and downloading at near 800k/s, however on UPC for the same torrents I am barely getting 20k/s and speedtest tells me the line speed is 10mb. Web pages and email are fine. There are a few posts regarding this issue but nothing that explains it or that fixes it.

My cousin lives a couple of miles away and he has exactly the same service, but he downloads at 980k/s-1.1m/s. Sweet.
    I thought it was the amount of connections i.e. too many uploading and downloading torrents, but I was over in his house last night and he has more than I do. Weird.

I am trying to compare his settings with my own, but as he is using vista and I am on xP it is hard to compare same with same.

Anyone experiencing this throttling of torrents, can you post your operating system, torrent client etc and any other settings you may think of eg - net half open.

I am using uTorrent, winXP, net half open = 8

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KeyserSöze

Two questions, and please don't take my head off for my inexperience.

Thanks in advance.

Probably one of these:
    http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/family/a_id/1296

KB article here:
    http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/112/kw/wgr614/r_id/166

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Also have you tried taking the Netgear out of the equation and connecting directly to the modem?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

PotBelly wrote: »
    My cousin lives a couple of miles away and he has exactly the same service, but he downloads at 980k/s-1.1m/s. Sweet.
    I thought it was the amount of connections i.e. too many uploading and downloading torrents, but I was over in his house last night and he has more than I do. Weird.

From what I've seen, UPC seem to throttle torrents only in areas which suffer from lots of congestion (due to too many users).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Gdep

when you are connected go to 192.168.1.1. this will ask for a username (admin) and a password (password). here you will find the netgear set up wizard page. go to wireless settings under basic settings. this is where you will find your network name and security type.

Advertisement