Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Adverts

Options
  • 04-02-2009 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

The new advertising that Bus Eireann are using on their city buses in Cork is totally unsuitable for the job. From inside the bus, it is next to impossible to see out through the adverts during the day and IS impossible at night.
    The adverts are made out of a mesh type material which presumably is designed to be see-through but isn't!
    It replaces the stick on advertising that covered windows but was easy to see out through. Frankly, it makes getting the bus an even more unpleasant experience... part of the joy of hopping on the number 3 or 5 or whatever is to be able to look out and take in whats around you on your way. Now this is next to impossible unless you venture to the very end of the bus.
    At the moment, the adverts appear to be merely advertising themselves - i can't remember the name of the advertising company - so they musn't be doing a great job.

On a related point, this week is BUS WEEK - the greatest load of nonsense I've ever heard of. For one week only, we will have a margianlly adequate service on a few routes...next week it will go back to sh*tty normal. And this is suppose to encourage more people to use public transport??
    http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,15652,en.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Advertisements suck and so do buses. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I believe the company is called IMPACT advertising. I hate that gimp on the ad for CIT for CAO that is plastered on so many buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

This bus week is just a few more No.7 and No.5 bus's being run at peak times but I havn't seen a change and am still waiting 40 minutes for the 7 every day

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

CianDon wrote: »
    still waiting 40 minutes for the 7 every day

Sounds like an extra 40 mins in bed should sort that out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Free Bus Week has always been poor, its free from 10 until 3/4 after that its pay again!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Those ads are not new. A few years ago, whole buses used be covered in them (okay, it might have been about 5-10 years ago). There was one for Heinz baked beans that went all around a bus, covering every window. I hated it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

The worst ting is when your on a route you only vaguely know and are waiting for the stop you recognise so you can get up and off in time! Kinda hard to do when you can't see out the bloody windows because of the adverts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Faith wrote: »
    Those ads are not new. A few years ago, whole buses used be covered in them (okay, it might have been about 5-10 years ago). There was one for Heinz baked beans that went all around a bus, covering every window. I hated it.

Yeah, the concept of advertising on buses (even whole buses, windows and all) isn't new and I haven't any problem with it in principle. The earlier adverts seemed to be made of sticky plastic which stuff tightly to the windows and still allowed you to see out very clearly (although not in).
    These new adverts do not allow you to see out because they are made of some sort of mesh material which is entirely different.

I had to help an little old lady to figure out where she should get off the other day because she couldn't see out the window to see her stop. Ridiculous!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

1) the ads are for Guinness and depicts the capitals skyline, whilst a native Brewery closes.

2) Bus Week and Bus February are being run against a background of impending cuts to bus services, numerous cutbacks in routes and frequency are due.

3) most people are too lazy, snobbish and/or attached to their cars to even consider using public transport. Whilst its clear CIEs services were never brilliant in comparison to say London, its too cliche for everyone to to complain about how poor the service is as an excuse for their own laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

1) the ads are for Guinness and depicts the capitals skyline, whilst a native Brewery closes.

2) Bus Week and Bus February are being run against a background of impending cuts to bus services, numerous cutbacks in routes and frequency are due.

3) most people are too lazy, snobbish and/or attached to their cars to even consider using public transport. Whilst its clear CIEs services were never brilliant in comparison to say London, its too cliche for everyone to to complain about how poor the service is as an excuse for their own laziness.

Good points all of those...especially number 1, it's not rubbing salt in the wound. Big deal like Guiness is aorund 250 years, Beamish (was around at it's real site) for 600 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

The Beamish Brewery is as native (or not!) as the Guinness Brewery these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

The Beamish Brewery is as native (or not!) as the Guinness Brewery these days!

How did we get on this?? I swear....attention span of a goldfish :)

Advertisement