Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Speaking in Cork

• 04-02-2009 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey guys, I have an acute fear of public speaking, the thought of even doing a two minute presentation will have me weak at the knees for days! Its weird because I'd see myself as being a confident person in general.
    I've been to toastmasters twice but I found that a bit daunting.
    So I think I need to begin with baby steps!

Basically, what I'm hoping to do is to get together a group of 5-8 people(maybe less) in Cork who also live in dread of public speaking and meet forthnightly. Each person could make a short speech or presentation to the rest of the group, we'd all be in the same boat so I think it would make for a supportive and encouraging atmosphere.

I reckon the only way to overcome a fear of public speaking is to just bite the bullet and start making speeches in front of groups and I think this would be the best way to begin.

So, anyone in Cork interested?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

I, for one, think this would be a brilliant idea if it could get off the ground and people took part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KarmaKazzi

I would be very interested in attending if you were still considering holding this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

OP don't give up on Toastmasters.

Perhaps there are several different toastmasters clubs in Cork that you can check out. so If you didn't like the vibe in one club you could go try another one. check out "find a club" on the toastmasters.org website for other clubs in Cork.

you could approach the president of the club and tell them you are anxious and they can assign one of the more experienced members to act as a mentor, to help and encourage you. It is understood that making a speech, particularly your first speech can be a daunting experience.

alternatively they could assist you in setting up your own club.

your idea of meeting up once every 2 weeks and making speeches sounds like the template for a toastmasters club so if you got help from toastmasters it would take out a lot of the guesswork.

hope that helps.

regards,

Gollem

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭rustopher

I like the sound of that, I used to try to avoid them in college, I was just so nervous but I am out going in general.
    I cant avoid them forever, I have to do a public speech soon and it is on my mind the last month. Now I am looking to take something to help me get through it.:eek:
    I wonder if there are any toast masters near Kilkenny??!!Is there something to help calm the nerves??

• Registered Users Posts: 9 The Speaker

Toastmasters has an education module called Speechcraft which is a slimmed down version of the foundation communication course, shorter projects, shorter speech times but still Toastmasters training. It’s designed for those who, for one reason or another, are not in a position to engage with a Toastmaster club. It is ideal for small groups for 6 to 8 people and can be presented over 6 to 8 to 10 weeks.

If anybody is interested I can put together a small group of experienced Toastmasters who will run the course for you.

So, over to you – carpe diem.

Kilkenny user – there is a club in Kilkenny try http://kilkenny.freetoasthost.info/. There are over 100 Toastmasters club spread throughout Ireland and the best place to find one in your area is at www.d71.org.

• Advertisement

Cheers, I actually googled it and there is one in club house kilkenny. Might be worth a look in. They are in all the near by counties as well so no problem there. I presume I can just drop in on the night! Will find out.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭schumacher

rustopher wrote: »
    Cheers, I actually googled it and there is one in club house kilkenny. Might be worth a look in. They are in all the near by counties as well so no problem there. I presume I can just drop in on the night! Will find out.;)

hey just wondering did ou find out whether you could just drop in? thinkin of going to it myself but would be a bit daunted.

No I was busy with exams but I plan to after the summer. I think when I looked it up , they stopped running classes for the summer so will def take it up after in the Autumn. I will look it up again and if I find anything else on it. Will keep you posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭schumacher

rustopher wrote: »
    No I was busy with exams but I plan to after the summer. I think when I looked it up , they stopped running classes for the summer so will def take it up after in the Autumn. I will look it up again and if I find anything else on it. Will keep you posted!

Ok cool. Thanks a million:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bazm0

Hi, I think its a great idea. I know this is a very late response but how did you get on with your meetings? I'm definitely interested in organising a similar group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 The Speaker

For fini85, who started this, and friends in Cork – at last it’s here – a new group for those who want to perfect their public speaking skills.

Convenient time – 6pm (straight after work), convenient place – The Clarion Hotel, Lapps Quay.

This is a new group – first meeting 27th September. This is a chance to get in on the ground – everybody at the same level (apart from the organisers who are experienced).

And it’s all voluntary – not for profit.

Check out www.corkleeside.org for more info.

Seize the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement