Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soy milk V regular milk , the final word

Options
  • 04-02-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi Folks ,

Have been a veggie now for three years , slowly trying to up it a notch by cutting out dairy foods .

Im wondering about soya milk though . Animal cruelty aside , is it really a healthy alternative?I see a lot of sweetners etc in the ingredients . Its also twice the price of a pint of regular milk . Is regular milk really even that bad ? . I hear its full of adrenaline and other nasty stuff , but then loads of healthy people drink it all the time . Im not worried about the fat content as im a very active person .

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

There are unsweetened versions of soya milk available, so they're probably more healthy than sweetened versions. Soya milk can help with lowering cholesterol and reducing mucus build up. So there is health benefits to it. I don't think its twice the price of regular milk, there is cheaper versions out there, you just have to shop around a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

biZrb, where can you get the cheaper stuff. It's 2.25 a litre.

I'm not sur on the milk/soy milk issue. I mean cows milk is loaded with calcium. I know you can get soy milk with added calcium, but its not the same. That being said, I'm only drinking soy milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

Tesco do their own brand, which tastes the same as alpro and I think its about 99 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Its SOY JUICE not milk! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 lallybaby

I spent a summer in Spain and found their fresh milk left me with an upset tummy and awful bloating.So i changed to their UHT milk and found that i felt so much better in general, not just with the bloating.
    When i came home i couldnt get hold of UHT milk so i changed to soya milk.I felt fantastic. Ive read plenty of articles that say that its because of the amount of cow hormones in milk that cause a large portion of the population to be slightly intolerant to milk. I convinced some family members to change to soya milk and they felt much better too.The only problem is that as we are all big tea drinkers....tea has lost its appeal.It never tastes the same with soya milk or with rice milk.
    The tesco own brand soya milk is exactly the same as the more expensive brands and it's only half the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    Its SOY JUICE not milk! ;)

No, milk is a whitish opague liquid. Soy milk fits that definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Aoifums wrote: »

milk is a whitish opague liquid produced by the mammary glands of female mammals If your going to use a definition then use the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Have a read of http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html for a convincing reason why dairy milk could be thought of differently.

Anyhow, soy milk isn't the only answer; think about oat milk, rice milk and almond milk. Oat milk can be easily made at home yourself and almond milk also, though I haven't tried that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

You can get a litre of unsweetened soya milk with added calcium for 87c in Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Aoifums wrote: »
    It fits your incorrect definition, sure. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

biZrb wrote: »
    You can get a litre of unsweetened soya milk with added calcium for 87c in Aldi

I was just about to post this :)

It's really nice too !!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    It fits your incorrect definition, sure. :)

Actually your definition is wrong, well moreso incomplete. Milk is a white liquid produced from animals and is the white liquid obtained from plants/trees etc also. Coconut, soy, oat, cow and goat... all can produce milk. So sayeth the dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Has anybody any links to info on the estrogen effects of soy products on men?

I have heard of weightlifters not taking soy based proteins as they can boost estrogen and/or lower testosterone, and some forumlas especially formulated for women do have it.

Advertisement