Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

processing/uploading in batches or singly?

• 04-02-2009 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

I remember when we used to do boards trips and when everyone got home, they'd proess all the keepers and whack them up to flickr (or wherever) in a batch. I do still tend to process things in batches, if more than one (the first where you pick out the obvious winners then the second where you go back over and see the 'quiet' ones) and stick them up in sets on flickr.

But a few people i've noticed these days seem to prefer just picking out one or two shots to process and upload at a time, which is more suited to the photoblog type presentation. I'm starting to feel like stuff is getting lost when it's lumped in with another 10 shots and wondering if that's the way to go.

Is it something that comes with time when you've been shooting for a few years, or is it driven by the presentation method?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

you know my answer to that one.. photoblogging has made me lazy. But I have been doing sets again recently to upload to flickr/pix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

elven wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel like stuff is getting lost when it's lumped in with another 10 shots and wondering if that's the way to go.

Maybe it's horses for courses, I would be amazed and delighted to have 10 shots to even consider uploading after a shoot, and by that I don't mean great in their own right, but slightly tarnishing the truly brilliant ones by their presence. I mean ones that I'm 'happy' with.

It depends what the individual wants to upload, I find I'm getting more and more picky about what I want to put out there. Maybe that's a sign that I'm developing in terms of what I want from my photography and finding the discipline I need to self criticise more rigorously. Of course, you may have 10 shots after a given days shoot, the weakest of which will be way 'better' than the best of mine. I suppose it depends where you are in terms of developing your skillz:)

I'm probably heading for photoblog territory even though I haven't taken that step yet. Interesting topic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I think people work in different ways and some kinds lend themselves better to quantity. If I'm shooting at the bots on a half decent day I'd expect to have 10-15 keepers (worth processing at all) then maybe upload 5-10 of those for general consumption, but maybe one would be good enough that I'd consider printing, if I'm lucky. But that's down to the simple fact of having plenty material to work with - if you're shooting something that depends on a lot of elements coming together - environment, specific lighting/weather, placement of people or the likes, you're going to have a much harder time getting what you're after. That shows just how difficult it is to apply an arbitrary standard, like the number of shots, to compare your own photography with someone elses i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I think I've become a lot more critical of my photos and don't upload as much any more (unless it's photos of friends etc and they're more the snap type) because I see things wrong with them that I didn't before.

I agree with you about certain subjects/days just not returning as many keepers. I find that with the bird shots. It's hard to get one good one from a days shooting let alone 5-10.

Advertisement