Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most hated names

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

d22ontour wrote: »
    Geldof i presume.

:pac:

That or Mugabe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Bob?

Bob the Bastard , borrowed my rake last summer,still have'nt got it back.Lives round the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

javaboy wrote: »
    That or Mugabe.

Or Newhart?

I'll handle this....Bob Newhart everybody!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Louise.
    It's not that I hate it exactly, it just sounds like a prescription for a kidney infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Bob the Bastard , borrowed my rake last summer,still have'nt got it back.Lives round the corner.

Glad to see you don't hold a grudge Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Cutey names that are fine for children but frankyly sound ridiculous on adults, especially if they're ugly. eg:
    Molly
    Polly
    Holly
    Chloe
    Poppy
    Sally
    Rosie

And people who christen their children abreviated cutey names instead of giving them the fully version so that when they grow up they can have the option of a dignified "grown up" name. eg:
    Dave
    Josh
    Katie
    Mikey
    Issey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Simon, Graham, Jeremy. Also Aaron when pronounced "Erin".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Tom Trojan

Hitler, Bush...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

I'm glad to see that a few people share my hatred for Fiachra. It is without doubt the worst name I have ever heard. The D4 stereotype I picture in my head when I hear it is probably why I despise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Aileen
    Helen

Fergal, Fergus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

Fiachra Rory in fact most Irish names and people who name their poor kids Scarlett Duffy or Charlene Doyle or Brittany Boyle...I shudder at the celebrity induced first name attached to the paddy trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

I was in a queue in credit union when a little girl was riding around in circles inside the office.then i heard a shout SHAKIRA WILL YE GET OFF DAT BLEEDIN BIKE.How does that poor kid stand a chance with a name like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mytummyhurts

totally gutted that my name was mentioned! i always hated it now my worst fears have been confirmed.... its shyte!!!

hate any name that sounds like a guest on maury, jerry springer etc
    also...
    rachel
    sorcha
    denis
    alanna
    claire
    ciara
    brownyn
    grainne
    ashling
    shane
    alan
    patrick
    eugh eugh eugh!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

there is a young fella called elvis in town and i heard there is also a tupac. I sh1t you not .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

amacachi wrote: »

With a thick cork accent Aaron is pronounced Erin.

Caoimhes a mingin name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

IronMan wrote: »
    Robert
    Kyle
    Jason
    Brendan
    Eamonn
    Emmet

Yay, I got mentioned!

As much as I hate to say it I hate most Irish names, the worst ones being Grainne, Una, Fiachra, Seoirse (for a man) and Oisin.
    Also hate the names Maurice, Alfred, Lucinda and Verity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Boxxy

I only know one Boxxy, and she's hot...in a strange way!

totally gutted that my name was mentioned! i always hated it now my worst fears have been confirmed.... its shyte!!!

hate any name that sounds like a guest on maury, jerry springer etc
    also...
    rachel
    sorcha
    denis
    alanna
    claire
    ciara
    brownyn
    grainne
    ashling
    shane
    alan
    patrick
    eugh eugh eugh!!!

I pretty much agree with you there, but leave Alan out of it.
    Not my name, but one I would consider if I had a son..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Gregory is a real sh1thole of a name imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Crea wrote: »
    And people who christen their children abreviated cutey names instead of giving them the fully version so that when they grow up they can have the option of a dignified "grown up" name. eg:
    Dave
    Josh
    Katie
    Mikey
    Issey

Katie is a full name in it's own right. It's incorrect of people to assume it's an abbreviation of 'Catherine' or similar.

Gregory is a real sh1thole of a name imo.

Yeah, but Greg's okay with the right surnane. It's not a faddy name. timeless IMMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I pretty much agree with you there, but leave Alan out of it.
    Not my name, but one I would consider if I had a son..........

such a boring name!

Well, I think boring is best, with regard to names. It's your'e personality that counts really. But being saddled with a siith name cos your parents had a "beautifal thought" is worse........

Sammag wrote: »

Sam you're a genieio,welll you're very brainy. I'd LOVE to see that on the streets of Ireland. Twould expose all the stupideios who call their kids Dungeen etc.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭IHATELIBERTAS

depends on surname

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭caridee2

hate the name Aodh... and Francis.... gick.....

How do you pronounce Aodh?! Never heard of it

Personally can't stand Aifric, Fergal, Fionnula, Majella, Ciaran, Nancy, Jacinta...or Gretchen! Ugh

Well, I'll give you an example. Hoare is not a brilliant surname,at the best of times, but I've heard of a couple with that surname who had "a beautiful thought" when their little girl was born. Sonobha.

NOW Isn't that lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Amy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

Rachel is gorgeous so dirty mits off! I had a neighbour who called her poor kid Eanna...pronounced AY-NA so what happens everytime he has to lay claim to something? Eanna's coat, leave little Eanna's stuff alone...how gross and indecent of his parent's and their 10 watt bright idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Sammag wrote: »
    Katie is a full name in it's own right. It's incorrect of people to assume it's an abbreviation of 'Catherine' or similar.

Your name is Katie right? This is the most stupid thread I've ever seen on AH, and there've been some really idiotic ones.

Everyone's name will be mentioned eventually. Just because people are idiots. Someone mentioned further back about common names not even being names anymore, because they're so common. So what is a name? Should we make up completely new and ridiculous ones - Lashiqua or whatever the fúck - that are ****e, or stick to tradition in our culture?

If I have a child, I'm gonna go in some way Irish. My wife to be is Aoife, and I love her name, because it's Irish, and I think it's a pretty name. My name is David, and I would rather a better name, but it'll do.

Not that the internet is always right but a quick search shows numerous resulst for the origin of Katie;

http://wiki.name.com/en/Katie

Again, I say, stupid thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    This is the most stupid thread I've ever seen on AH, and there've been some really idiotic ones.

Oh, lighten the f**k up!

Btw..............Ingrid is horrid :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Feckin hate the names Aoife & David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

My name not mentioned yet and I hate it,I was sure it would have been in the top ten.

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    Your name is Katie right? This is the most stupid thread I've ever seen on AH, and there've been some really idiotic ones.

Everyone's name will be mentioned eventually. Just because people are idiots. Someone mentioned further back about common names not even being names anymore, because they're so common. So what is a name? Should we make up completely new and ridiculous ones - Lashiqua or whatever the fúck - that are ****e, or stick to tradition in our culture?

If I have a child, I'm gonna go in some way Irish. My wife to be is Aoife, and I love her name, because it's Irish, and I think it's a pretty name. My name is David, and I would rather a better name, but it'll do.

Not that the internet is always right but a quick search shows numerous resulst for the origin of Katie;

http://wiki.name.com/en/Katie

No sh*t Sherlock! Yes, my name is Katie and I was christened Katie because my parents liked the name Katie - not Catherine/Katherine/Kathy/Katlin/Katerine/etc. The amount of times in my life (in Ireland notably) I've been asked the same irritating question: "Katie so you're a Catherine/Katleen really".. :mad:

'Katie may be a 'variant of Katherine' going by your link above, but it is not an "abbreviated cutey name" given to me (or any other Katie's I would imagine for the most part) so I may; "grow up and have the option of a dignified "grown up" name"...

Getting back to the topic in hand, I dislike most Irish names - there's too many to list, most have already been listed by other posters, only real exception is I've always had a liking for the name: 'Daragh'. Anyway even if I did like Irish names on the whole, now as a resident of Oz should I have any kids, they'd be in for a life of mispronunciation hell from the get-go here.

I tend to find names like; John, Brian, Simon, Stewart/Stuart, Dave, Paul, Michael, Alan and the like, a tad boring...
    And then there's the ones that should only be given to people once they hit 78 years of age aka: Aileen or Eileen, Nora, Margaret, Gladys, Ursula, Hilda, Agnes, Esther, Edith, Frances etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

Darren,Jay,Wayne,skangery or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Girls: Imelda, Majella, Caoimhe, Gretchen, Hilda, Olga, Madison, Alexis, Breanne/Brianna, Destiny, Roisin, Maeve, Zara, Emer, Courtney, Abigail, Stella, Phoebe, Summer, Clodagh, Bronagh, Cliodhna...

Guys: Jacob, Dwayne, Wayne, Elijah, Oisin, Reece, Mohammed, Jace, Cooper, Jayden, Harry/Harold, Bailey, Zack/Zachary, Xavier, Cody, Brodie, Darcy, Hamish, Archie, Lewis, Larry, Padraig, Paraic, Pierce...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭jaffa20

My name hasn't been mentioned yet. Keep them coming. It's actually not a nice name, it's boring but still uncommon enough compared to others. Suppose t doesn't bother people much:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I absolutely detest the name Noel. Whoopdedoo! You were born around Christmas time. I was born around Easter but my parents didn't feel the urge to name me Egg.

:cool::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Sinead. It's a fcuking horrible name. Jane is way nicer.

Mine's yet to be mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭jaffa20

javaboy wrote: »
    I absolutely detest the name Noel. Whoopdedoo! You were born around Christmas time. I was born around Easter but my parents didn't feel the urge to name me Egg.

:cool::pac:

:p:p How did you find that out! Jboy---> now come on! :eek:

taibhse wrote: »
    yeah so? I said "English" because they're frequently taken up by English and increasingly Irish middle classes

That's a pretty pathetic reason to hate a name.

Or 'Air-on'. No, it's Aaron!

A lot of Irish names popping up on this thread! I'd have to agree, the majority are horrible imo.

Dáibhí - what a crap name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

/throws "Geoffry" into the pot

Abigayle wrote: »
    /throws "Geoffry" into the pot

...*destroys it so we never have to hear of it again* :D

Helen. Always reminds me of Helen Keller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Also Aaron when pronounced "Erin".

In other words,when pronounced the correct way?? How would you pronounce it?

My most hated names are generally anything silly and baby-like applied to unfortunate little girls by celebrity types - Poppy, Daisy, Molly, Honey, Lily and all that malarky.

Also anything that suddenly becomes trendy - Jayden anybody? Knackertastic. Can't stand the American influenced surnames as first names and all the Jewish type names that are doing the rounds - Samuel, Joshua, Jacob, Ben etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭ceannair06

Sorry if it's been mentioned before but I detest the people you get on your average Yank talk show, Maury etc, who use 14 apostrophes in their name.

You know them - "D'l'shawnee" etc.

Makes me want to kill, it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Jim
    Jose (Female)
    Michael
    Thomas
    Kathleen
    Maggie
    Dan
    Toddler

kekekekeke

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Madison
    Taylor
    Skylar
    Amber
    Candy
    Tiffany
    Destiny
    Misty
    Tammy
    In other words, girls' names that sound like stripper names

What do ye mean sound like? They ARE strippers names ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭ceannair06

jazoo wrote: »
    I was in a queue in credit union when a little girl was riding around in circles inside the office.then i heard a shout SHAKIRA WILL YE GET OFF DAT BLEEDIN BIKE.How does that poor kid stand a chance with a name like that

God I know!

My mate worked in a Social Security office in the UK and there was this delightful young family (ahem!).

The mother was having some trouble managing her brood of brats (the father of none/some/all of them was skinning up outside).

One kid was particularly disruptive, leading mother to yell:

"SAPPHIRE JADE MARIE AM GONNA F**KING KILL YOU".

Bad enough, but then when forms needed to be filled on it turns out that there are boys called Jack Daniel and Miller and girls called Cookie and Pepper.

I despair!!

Advertisement