Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subjects For The Leaving Cert

Options
  • 04-02-2009 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

For the leaving cert I'm taking the usual irish, english, maths and french.
    So far I've picked biology and history and I'm stuck between social and scientific, art or chemistry. I enjoy all of them and i got the same marks in the junior cert. Hoping to do journalism and media after the leaving so i don't thinki need any of them specifically, anyone have any ideas or opinions on what i should do ??

Comments

Well, from what I've heard from other people, art is extremely hard - next to impossible, actually - to get an A1 in. The history section of the course is meant to be a real pain - but, I don't actually do it, so better wait until somebody who does comments.

I do chemistry - and I really like it, I don't think it's that difficult at all. Many people say that they hate it and it's impossible etc. etc., but, if you like science, and you have an ability to learn large amounts, then chemistry may be for you.

What area of journalism would you like to go into? I'd imagine that art would probably be the most benefitial - certianly more benefitial than chemistry or home ec. (that is, of course, unless you want to do journalism in a scientific manner). Art history supposedly has a lot of writing etc., so I imagine it may help.

Well, from what I've heard from other people, art is extremely hard - next to impossible, actually - to get an A1 in. The history section of the course is meant to be a real pain - but, I don't actually do it, so better wait until somebody who does comments.

I do chemistry - and I really like it, I don't think it's that difficult at all. Many people say that they hate it and it's impossible etc. etc., but, if you like science, and you have an ability to learn large amounts, then chemistry may be for you.

What area of journalism would you like to go into? I'd imagine that art would probably be the most benefitial - certianly more benefitial than chemistry or home ec. (that is, of course, unless you want to do journalism in a scientific manner). Art history supposedly has a lot of writing etc., so I imagine it may help.

Ok, I don't know what happened with the double comments there - some glitch or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TYs0809

Not completly sure what type yet which I no is something I should know by now, I no for sure it won't be science anyway.

I asked my art teacher and he said not to do it unless I have a genunie interest but he thinks I will get a B or higher anyway. He took me threw the entire course and I know a lot of it consists of art history but then there is the figure drawing,craftwork and still life drawing. I don't have a genuine talent in art but when i worked for the junior cert I got a B so with work I could probably get a good mark.

When I asked another teacher they said art would be a waste of time as its so hard to get an A in and my best bet in the long run would be to do chemistry.

I really like art home ec and science and would probably enjoy any of them but I have no clue on what would be the best regarding points and for later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

Well not sure if any of waht im about to say will help but im doing chemisty,biology and home ec at the moment

Chemistry is grand as long as your willing to put a bit of work into as theres loads to learn helps if you like science!

Home ec is dead easy especially as i do biology as well there very similar in parts.
    Biology you can get a good mark in by just simply doing the h/w well and home ec just requires a bit of learning not a whole lot

Also one of my friends say art is fairly easy as for 1 paper you have to do 3 questions out of 21 which seems ridiculous!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I dunno about the others but I wouldn't do art again. I think it's really difficult. There's so many different bits and pieces to it and you have to be really good to do well. Plus I didn't know art history was 30 something %. I had to choose between art, biology and geography though so tbh I'd say art is the lesser of 3 evils

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'd so Home Ec, it loks like a really interesting course, and you get a certain percent for your journal so that takes some stress off around exam time. It also has a bit of biology and food chemistry in it which is really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Geography is probably the easiest LC subject, so I'd definately go for that.

Business is a nice subject too. A lot of people do really well in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TYs0809

Thanks anyway but geography is probably the only subject other than irish that i can't stand and I didn't do business for the junior and i don't really want to pick it up now.

My only options are chemistry,social or art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

Beware the "easy" subjects - they get the highest proportion of dossers.

I only did chemistry out of those, didn't like it but I'm glad I did it. It can be useful if you change your mind later about your college course. Also I think home ec has a tiny percentage of A1s too, few people fail it but very few get top marks.

In the end, go for the one you'll enjoy most. No point doing a subject for points if you hate going into the class every day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 grizzim

could anyone answer me this please. i was wondering if i didn't get the MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS for a college could i do a plc and then go back and try getting into that college.....here is my example

nui is 3 honours 4 pass for music technology. If i dont get this but i get into a plc coarse can i go back to nui with my plc trying to get into that college again???

Advertisement