Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass by Compensation Clarification

Options
  • 04-02-2009 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi guys, Noticed alot of you asking bout Pass by Compensation , well I was confused aswell but I got this e-mail from my programme office. It should answer alot of our questions.

In order to compensate, a student must have 1) completed an attempt at a Stage, i.e 60 credits, 2) student must have passed 75 % of their modules i.e. normally 9 of 12 module. 3) must have a compensatory GPA greater than or equal to 2.0.
    If these conditions are met, E grades are compensated.
    If you meet those conditions, you will compensate your E grade. You can drop your Resit/Repeat with the intention of meeting these requirements. If you do not meet the requirement, you will have a further opportunity to make up the outstanding credit(s) in later Semesters.

Hope it helps , it helped me.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Thanks a lot boss..saves me emailing them!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

before ya go doing anything you really should check with the Program Office....

as someone in one of the other threads said sometimes if the module you failed is a core module then you have to resit/repeat and you cant pass by compensation. personally i dont know but im going on what other people said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jenni-fabuloso

is that a GPA of 2.0 for the end of the year like two semesters together? i have a 1.9 after semester 1 and I'm really confused! Got an E in 3 subjects but can't believe how I did!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Afaik the deal with that is that if the module is a prerequisite for another core module, then you can't compensate it, as you need to pass it to do the next one. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

tbh that actually makes perfect sense. thankfully my Drama Stuides course is on of only 2 in Arts that you dont need any pre-requisites to do subjects next year...you can take it up as a Core Subject in Stage 2....so hopefully my Stagecrafts module wont need to be repeated or resat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Raphael wrote: »
    Afaik the deal with that is that if the module is a prerequisite for another core module, then you can't compensate it, as you need to pass it to do the next one. Could be wrong though.

Thats not true , I read somewhere on the UCD site that if you fail a module that is a pre-requisit for another module you can pass by compensation altho there is exceptions for example Language subjects. Also if you pass by compensation in the pre-requisit it is a sufficent grade to do the subject.

I forget the link but Im sure if you guys browse around the site you'll find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Anyone know when fees for resits/repeats have to be paid!? Is it today?

Advertisement