Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five Years (and a bit...)

Options
  • 04-02-2009 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

So.

I've been a member of Boards for just over 5 years (actually, longer, but an account I had in college back in '01 has been lost).

I started off as a troll. :o

But fairly quickly settled into posting, mostly on the Soccer Forum. I was unemployed at the time, and using a 56k connection in my mother's house, browsing was painful.

I was around at the time of the Soccer Forum Closure, and was considered not to be as troll-ey as some of the others, so didn't have to go through the "application process". Something which I am glad of.

Then I went to Australia in '05, and Boards was a good way of keeping in touch with folks back home, I used the blog feature here a lot for that, instead of emailing everyone, I just wrote in my blog for people to read.

Then, when I came back from my travels, there was talk on the Soccer Forum of people getting together and starting a football team. I headed to the Phoenix Park that August night, and somehow ended up with the job of manager (truth be told, I was the thirteenth best player of the thirteen who turned up :P). A couple of days later, I got my first modship. Of the Team Forum of course :)

I'm glad to say that two and a half years later the team is still going strong, a high percentage of our players are Boardsies, some aren't, but it makes me kind of proud to stand on the sideline every week and hear the roar of "Come on Boards!!" from our players just before kick off :)

I picked up a few more modships along the way too, I was made Rugby mod for a time around the last World Cup, I hate the game, but volunteered because I was at a loose end and the lads would be out watching games. It really was what being a mod is all about. Being the janitor, cleaning up spam, and keeping the discussion in some kind of order. A facilitator.

Then came BGRH.

I really loved that forum, and attended the first BGRH Beers, at which I met my girlfriend, the poster known as "pink fluffy bunny". Just this past weekend, I moved in with her. I've met many friends through that forum, people I'd call close friends at this stage, and because of it even spent some time in France with an SMod :eek: (they aren't really that scary ;)) Unfortunately now, I don't really know why, people change I guess, I have drifted away from BGRH.

I've met some great people, both through BGRH and the team.

Some of my favourite forums (fora? who cares?) are the ones I mod, and only last night was saying that I love the way someone might have a little browse around Cooking & Recipes, then end up cooking a meal for twenty a few weeks later. I myself started out as a naive fella having moved out of mammies and looking for ideas on what to cook. Someone suggested a Thai Red Curry, and now I make the nicest one I know. We have a great little community on the Beer/Wine/Spirits forum, with some very knowledgeable contributors.

Most of the forums I moderate in are fairly quiet, and some people may say you aren't a proper mod until you've had a feedback thread complaining about you :D. Well I'm glad to say there never has been.

I think I get on with a fair chunk of the people I interact with here, not everyone gets on though, and I enjoy the run-ins as much as the get-alongs.

I love this website, and more often than not it's the first thing I check in the morning, and the last at night. Say hello to my friends, and bid them adieu.

So, thanks to the Admin for this brilliant website. I sound like a lick arse, but fúck it, I mean it. It's a fantastic resource, a great social tool, and is growing every day.

Thanks to the users, my friends, anyone who has ever helped with questions I've asked on a wide range of topics from computery stuff to cooking, from football to the randomness of After Hours.

Cheers guys
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Busy in work, babes?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not one fucking mention of the AFL forum? Sound Des, reeeeeeeal sound :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Des wrote: »
    I started off as a troll. :o

I thought you still were?
    <_<

I've met many friends through that forum, people I'd call close friends at this stage, and because of it even spent some time in France with an SMod :eek:

Am I the only one who read that and thought it came across as dodgy, very dodgy indeed?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Don't have time to read that Des...

Still have a job \o/

Good job on the *cough* *mumble*.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

tl;dr

whats happening now? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I know exactly what you are up to Desmond.

I'm on to you!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Great OP. I'd thank it only for the fact that Des supports Shels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Sherifu wrote: »
    Don't have time to read that Des...

Still have a job \o/

Good job on the *cough* *mumble*.......
    benylin_chesty_cough.jpg

:D for the cough .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So you did apply for that Community Moderator job after all, Des?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What the fcuk is going on with all the life stories? If I wanted an emotional outburst by Des or Amp I'd bloody PM them.

/fold arms and hurumphs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

As much as you and myself had had a few clashes this place is better of with you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

tl;dr

whats happening now? :pac:

Des stepped on some broken glass and caught the ghey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The Boards Team was set up 3 years ago :eek: Remember that like it was yesterday. Time flies. Doesn't it, seansouth? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

The Boards Team was set up 3 years ago :eek: Remember that like it was yesterday. Time flies. Doesn't it, seansouth? :D
    Sean South always seemed to be angrier for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Chong wrote: »
    Sean South always seemed to be angrier for some reason.

He wasn't getting any, apparently.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

pffffffffffff tl;dr :)

But PFB burned you, right there. Burned.

Ow.

DeV.

Ah Des........ lay off the weed while in work! You can get fired for that sorta thing! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Heh, you went and wrote a very long glowing dedication to Boards.
    Your gf wrote a one sentence reply and got more thanks for it.

That's gotta hurt! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

o hai, I cant post on d soccer forum I mean like, wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

WTF!!

What brought all this stuff on??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

What brought all this stuff on??

Well he did mention that he moved in with PFB at the weekend.
    Perhaps he's gone all mushy and squishy on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Well he did mention that he moved in with PFB at the weekend.
    Perhaps he's gone all mushy and squishy on us.

"Mushy and squishy":eek:

Didn't think you had such soft words in your vocabulary:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

this is clearly an attempt to curry favour and get the soccer mod gig.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

More like an attempt to redress the balance after the kerfuffles here lately.

Nowt wrong with a bit of positivity, and the guy talks sense.

Boardeaux is one of this site's happier achievements as are the myriad of friendships and relationships that have sprung from people's interactions.

I've met both pfb and the op, and am glad to see them sharing ESB bills and such :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

More like an attempt to redress the balance after the kerfuffles here lately.

Nowt wrong with a bit of positivity,

yes, there was a lot of that in my post.

God knows I've been involved in some trainwrecks myself.
    and the guy talks sense.
    lol
    Boardeaux is one of this site's happier achievements.

thank you RoundyMooney :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Curse you and your concoction of zambuca and tobasco sauce Des, curse you to hell :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Eh ... who is this Des fella ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

trout wrote: »
    Eh ... who is this Des fella ?

I think I remember him back when he gave an F.
    Muahuahuahuahua.
    Mmyes.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Awe Des. . . <3 from me and who know who ;):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Is somebody wanting a Mods job or something?

:p

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement