Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the pay receipt given to all those who receive unemployment benefit and assistance

Options
  • 04-02-2009 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

I'm wondering if there is any situation in which a person who enters a post office to take the cash for the labour does not receive a receipt they need to sign? I'm assumingt he obvious but I need to be somewhat sure that there's no rare exceptions to that process.

Cheers all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

sorry, but could you tell me what you are talking about - you make no sence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭irishbran77

Simply what I said;

Is there any exceptions to the rule that a person must receive a receipt or piece of paper on which they sign when they collect the cash form their local post office as part of their umployment cash payments?

I'm being repaid each week for a loan I gave to a person who claims social benefits. I'm stuck in a bad situation with my rent which I wouldn't be in if I didn't give him the loan in the first place. Now he's claiming he's receiving only 60 euros a week and so gives me barely enough to get a bus with. I have reasons to believe he may be getting as much as 200 euros a week and I'd like to ask him to prove what he's getting.

I know I'm being intrusive into his privacy but I guess for everyone these days living is getting tougher. What I'm worried is he'll simply make an excuse along the lines of 'they didn't give me a receipt.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭morrowa64

When you go in to get your money you hand in your plastic card or temporary yellow card as the case may be. The person behind the counter then either swipes the card in the machine or manually types in your PPS number. When this is done, the machine then prints out a slip of paper that they hand to the person receiving the money for them to sign. Once signed, the post office clerk checks the signature matches the one on the card . The post office then keeps 1 copy and the other copy goes to your friend along with the money. No money is ever given out without the signature and the receipt. And no one would be getting 60 euros a week either, full benefit would be paid which is just over 200 euros per week. Hope this has been of help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I think he's pulling a fast one mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

benefit is 208 per week
    rent claim may be as high as 130 per week
    smokeess fuel allowance is another few euros during wionter months

nobody gets 60 a week and hasnt since probably the 80s

A receipt is ALWAYS given in the post office

If you refuse to sign the RECEIPT they wont pay out the money

Anyone who gets money from a post office without a receipt is LYING

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

madmik wrote: »
    nobody gets 60 a week and hasnt since probably the 80s

This is not necessarily true. It's possible to qualify for Jobseekers Allowance but not the full amount of €204.30. A person may be only entitled to a part of the full amount. Jobseekers Benefit is also variable. The receipt, however, is not.

Kudos for finding out this information before confronting your friend. If he says that he does not recieve a reciept then you could reply "What?! That's crazy, they can't do that. I'm going to ring the Social Welfare on your behalf and report that Post Office. You need to be getting reciepts!" I imagine if he thinks you are going to talk to the Social Welfare he will be scared into telling the truth. He'll certainly know taht they will catch him out in the lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭irishbran77

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I'm of the older generation that shys away from courts and offical routes when trying to remedy problems amongst friends and relatives. But from what I'm hearing in here, there's very little chance he's receiving less than 150-200 euros a week. Demanding a receipt will be the next step I suppose...

Advertisement