Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Everton FA Cup Replay

• 04-02-2009 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

On UTV/ITV and Setanta Ireland tonight.

It will be interesting to see what sort of line-up Rafa goes with tonight.

I'd like to see a mostly second-string line-up

Cavalieri
    Arbeloa Hyypia Agger Dossena
    Lucas Masch Alonso Riera
    Babel Ngog

Alonso is suspended for for either the game at the weekend or the one after so he can have a rest then.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/fa_cup/7861675.stm
    Everton v Liverpool
    FA Cup fourth round replay
    Venue: Goodison Park Date: Wednesday, 4 February Kick-off: 2010 GMT
    Everton manager David Moyes is likely to name an unchanged side for the FA Cup fourth round replay with Liverpool.

Moyes still has problems in attack as Yakubu, Louis Saha and James Vaughan all remain injured, while deadline day signing Jo is cup-tied.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has no new injury concerns, although full-back Phillip Degen has been ruled out for several weeks with a broken metatarsal.

Benitez could opt to play the same team that beat Chelsea last Sunday.

Everton (from): Howard, Hibbert, Jagielka, Lescott, Baines, Anichebe, Gosling, Castillo, Rodwell, Neville, Osman, Arteta, Fellaini, Pienaar, Cahill, Nash, Yobo, Van der Meyde, Jacobsen, Jutkiewicz.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Hyypia, Aurelio, Dossena, Benayoun, Babel, Gerrard, Mascherano, Lucas, Alonso, Kuyt, Torres, Ngog, Riera, Cavalieri.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Kick off 20:10, nice one.

With Fallaini back, I reckon Everton will be tougher opposition than in the two previous meetings.

Also, Liverpool have a weakened squad.

So.

Everton win.

AET.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,594 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

hoping we put out that mainly second string side alright, it is an important year for FA cup but League is much more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

copacetic wrote: »
    hoping we put out that mainly second string side alright, it is an important year for FA cup but League is much more important.
    All cups are important pfffft.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Des wrote: »
    Also, Liverpool have a weakened squad.

yep your right
    our main man philippe degen is out, squad is injury ravaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Des wrote: »
    With Fallaini back, I reckon Everton will be tougher opposition than in the two previous meetings.
    Funny if intentional :D

Howard, Hibbert, Jags, Lescott, Baines, Neville, Osman, Fellaini, Arteta, Cahill, Pinnear will be the Everton team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Alonso is suspended for for either the game at the weekend or the one after so he can have a rest then.

Why is he suspended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭bobbyg

As an Everton fan I obviously hope we stuff Liverpool tonight but I'm amazed at how many Liverpool fans there are here that don't seem too bothered about the cup. I know the league is a priority for Liverpool but I honestly can't see them winning it this year. If Utd win their game in hand they are 5 pts clear and will be really hard to catch. I honestly think the FA cup is Liverpool's best hope for silverware this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'd rather have both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

bobbyg wrote: »
    As an Everton fan I obviously hope we stuff Liverpool tonight but I'm amazed at how many Liverpool fans there are here that don't seem too bothered about the cup. I know the league is a priority for Liverpool but I honestly can't see them winning it this year. If Utd win their game in hand they are 5 pts clear and will be really hard to catch. I honestly think the FA cup is Liverpool's best hope for silverware this year.

I'ts not that amazing...theres only 14 odd games left in the league and we are 2 points off United while both Arsenal and Chelsea are having off seasons. Are we likely to win it ? No. But Its the best chance we have had in years. Liverpool fans would love to win the FA Cup, but it comes 3rd priority behind the league and Europe.

PiE wrote: »
    I'd rather have both.

It would be nice alright but reality is a bitch ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hard to care too much, prefer Torres only played a minor part if any.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/04/victor-anichebe-david-moyes-row-everton-football
    The Everton striker, Victor Anichebe, has put his place in tonight's FA Cup derby with Liverpool – and his long-term future at the club – in serious jeopardy following a training ground row with manager David Moyes.
    Bugger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Depending on teams I can see Everton winning this.

RasTa wrote: »
    Depending on teams I can see Everton winning this.

man that is the most non anything comment ever.

"Depending on teams" lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I had originally tipped Pool to take the League match and Everton the FA Cup game.

I reckon an Everton win is on the cards tonight

mayordenis wrote: »
    "Depending on if Man Utd field their u16's team, I can see Derby or Forest beating them."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

"Depending on teams" lol

lol true, basically if Everton field their first squad they will win. I thought they might rest some since they have the same few playing every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If I am honest, I would prefer us to be playing a virtually full strenght Everton side. The weakened Everton side that we have had to play lately played alot deeper and more reserved than they would normally. No doubt some Everton fans will interpret that as a dig but it isn't..

Either way, I am not too worried about tonights match. With Keane gone and limited option up front, I would nearly prefer to be out of the cup so that we can focus on the league and CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

SickBoy wrote: »
    Why is he suspended?

Fifth yellow card against Chelsea => auto one match ban for Alonso

On a similar topic anyone know what the punishment is for 15th yellow card in a season? Fellani must be in with a shout given his form so far.

RasTa wrote: »
    Depending on teams who scores the most goals, I can see Everton winning this.

Had to be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

this on the box or will I have to use sopcast/tvu?

sweetie wrote: »
    this on the box or will I have to use sopcast/tvu?

UTV/ITV and Setanta Ireland (free one on NTL)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

I hope Everton win, but more importantly I hope it's a good game. Ive enjoyed the other two so far. Shouting in a pub full of Liverpool fans is always good. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I'll never claim to be an expert on the rules but for some reason I have it in my head that the match ban for 5,10,15, etc.. yellows doesn't kick in for 7 or 14 days after the last card - or something like that anyway.

Can anyone clarify or am I imagining this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

zing wrote: »
    I'll never claim to be an expert on the rules but for some reason I have it in my head that the match ban for 5,10,15, etc.. yellows doesn't kick in for 7 or 14 days after the last card - or something like that anyway.

Can anyone clarify or am I imagining this ?

i think that's right. and i think i read somewhere today that if we lose to Everton he's suspended for a league game, but if we win then it's for the next round of the cup. For that reason alone i badly want to win tonight.

i think that's right. and i think i read somewhere today that if we lose to Everton he's suspended for a league game, but if we win then it's for the next round of the cup. For that reason alone i badly want to win tonight.

It's seven days after so would be the Man City game in the league. Wouldnt mind Alonso missing that as it's Real Madrid three days after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Just reading through and noticing that people are fancying evertons chances big time for some reason. If they decide to change from their 9-0-1 formation they've played us the last two times they'll get battered and if they stick with 9-0-1 again i fancy us to take it 1 or 2 nil just like when chelsea changed to their 9-0-0 formation after lampard got sent off. All in all Liverpool win cos everton just aren't that good but people have issues accepting it for some reason :p

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Why in the name of God to people want Rafa to put out a weakened side?

There's a cup there to be won and also I don't want the bitters to have the satisfaction of beating us, then celebrating like they've won the Champions League, then making a DVD and then trying to slag us about the game for the rest of time, no no no no no, full strength team, hopefully we batter them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Torres better start, i just put €20 on him for first goal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Iang87 wrote: »
    Just reading through and noticing that people are fancying evertons chances big time for some reason. If they decide to change from their 9-0-1 formation they've played us the last two times they'll get battered and if they stick with 9-0-1 again i fancy us to take it 1 or 2 nil just like when chelsea changed to their 9-0-0 formation after lampard got sent off. All in all Liverpool win cos everton just aren't that good but people have issues accepting it for some reason :p
    Their defence held up alot better than pools did, and it's not like they can play 4-4-2, they've no strikers lol. Yis should hope Cahill doesnt show up your defence again ;)

A7X wrote: »
    Their defence held up alot better than pools did, and it's not like they can play 4-4-2, they've no strikers lol. Yis should hope Cahill doesnt show up your defence again ;)

1-1
    and 1-1

it would appear that neither defence nor attack outshone the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Melion wrote: »
    Torres better start, i just put €20 on him for first goal

me too and got 11/2 in boyles:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I am going for a 2-1 win for either team .

latchyco wrote: »
    I am going for a 2-1 win for either team .

fence sitting chump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

In the event of a draw do we get extra time or penalties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

In the event of a draw do we get extra time or penalties?

Could be another 120 mins of dull football to go along with the 180 mins last month, hope Everton try and make a game of it for their fans at least since they are at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

Im a true blue but if im honest i just cant see us doing it tonight, we are really wrecked after the last 2 weeks where we played liverpool twice, arsenal and man utd. The best we can hope for is penalties and if that happens id still fancy liverpool as reina is a world class peno saver! I hope im wrong though.

1-1
    and 1-1

it would appear that neither defence nor attack outshone the other.

Both games played in Anfield right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

1-0 to Everton.

That Klingon Lescott to score from a set piece AET.

• Advertisement

Both games played in Anfield right?

for sure.
    Your point?

for sure.
    Your point?

You just made it for me

You just made it for me

lol I didn't make any point, A question is not a point.

ok lets retrace this

first person says Everton's defence held up better than Liverpool

I then said 1-1 and 1-1 = stalemate

You mentioned anfield = nosense, unrelated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Don't disminish Everton's ambitious by saying they SHOULD come to places like Anfield and bore out a result.

You mentioned anfield = nosense, unrelated.

I wouldn't say it's unrelated.
    Everton managed to get a draw at Anfield twice.
    So I believe his point is that they are well capable of doing better than that at Goodison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

And on the same point Liverpool beat Everton at Goodison when everton didnt play for a draw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

1-0 Everton

Some superstar like Osman to score early and then the heroic passionate never-say-die Blue half hold on in the corner for teh last 10 minutes to proclaim a glorious win. With an added potential bonus of Gerrard sent off or a late breakaway from Tim the magnificent.

And then go out to Burnley next round

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    And on the same point Liverpool beat Everton at Goodison when everton didnt play for a draw.

We're talking about current form here not a match that took place earlier in the season..

dfx- wrote: »
    1-0 Everton

Some non-entity like Osman to score early and then the heroic passionate never-say-die Blue half hold on in the corner for teh last 10 minutes to proclaim a glorious win. With an added potential bonus of Gerrard sent off.

Make that Peinaar to pad my wallet out a bit an we have a deal :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Tempting, but I think I'll stick with Osman..it is the cup final afterall..Pienaar for the late breakaway do any good? :D

I've just read that the people's club haven't sold all their tickets yet for their biggest game of the season

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement