Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 weeks in Oz/NZ - worthwhile?

Options
  • 04-02-2009 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

We thought we'd have more time off work but 4 weeks is the max we can get, so I'm wondering: is it worth our while travelling to Australia for such a relatively short stay? We'd like to go to Sydney, one or two of the islands on the East coast and maybe Ayr's Rock. Also drive around one of the islands in NZ. Is this possible to do in 4 weeks without being in a bus/plane every waking hour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

depends really on what you wana do/see.

my first trip was for less than 2 weeks, my second for just under 6 weeks. my family came to visit me here there over xmas, for 9 days, which really just wasnt enough time for them, but then went over to perth, for about two weeks, which they foudn to be too much time...

depends very very much on what you wana do/see, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KeyserSöze

rgiller wrote: »
    We thought we'd have more time off work but 4 weeks is the max we can get, so I'm wondering: is it worth our while travelling to Australia for such a relatively short stay? We'd like to go to Sydney, one or two of the islands on the East coast and maybe Ayr's Rock. Also drive around one of the islands in NZ. Is this possible to do in 4 weeks without being in a bus/plane every waking hour?

Hi rgiller,

From my own experience (a few years back) it took us three weeks in a hired car to do New Zealand, but we did both islands. It was fantastic, and I think you need this amount of time to fully appreciate it. I'd go back there tomorrow.

I would take or leave Sydney, but that's very much a personal opinion. I did enjoy Melbourne and surrounds, but once again, it's just a city, not a 'trip'.

Ayers Rock is quite remote so I don't know how you'd fit that into your plans. It's 2500-3000 KMs away from the rest of your itinerary - a whole lotta travel for a rock.

You'll also need time to adjust both going over and coming back. I was out of it for the first couple of days the last time I was there, but I did arrive in the middle of their summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

2 years ago myself and my Wife did 1 week in Sydney and 3 weeks travelling NZ so its definitely doable. We had a friend tour guide us around Sydney for the week - it was brilliant. We didn't go outside of Sydney (except for the blue Mountains) so we'll have to go back again to visit Australia properly.
    However 3 weeks for NZ was enough to see the majority of it - We did few days on the North island and the rest on the south. A lot of driving but well worth it - beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I was in NZ for 8 weeks and didn't see as much as I would have liked. I really think 3 weeks is too short, especially given the start up costs and monster long hauler to get out there.

Advertisement