Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thread on secondary schools in Limerick

Options
  • 04-02-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

after reading the rants in the other school thread, "CBS Sexton Street: Hell on earth" I for one would be interested in reading a sensible mature and balanced thread about secondary schools in Limerick city and county. my eldest child will be starting her last year in primary school in this Sept, and we have no ideas yet where to send her. Our nearest school is St Endas, and Im not sending her there Im afraid, hear too many bad things about it. We would love her to go to the Castletroy college, but from what ive heard, as we dont live in their catchment area, we have very little hope.
    as neither myself nor my wife are from Limerick, we dont know too much about the other secondary schools.
    Any feedback from other parents who have recently gone thru this?
    - and please, only post if its relevent!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Send her to Laurel Hill Colaiste and it will give her a good knowledge of her native language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Laurel Hill is a good school.

I hear mixed things about Castletroy College.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah i would probably suggest Pill Hil too! :D Just kidding, yeah Laurel Hill either the Irish or English school are grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

yes ive heard good things about Laurel Hill too, only problem is I have 2 boys and 2 girls and ideally I would love a mixed school so that they can all go to the same school, which I believe would rule out Laurell hill. ive only heard good things about Castletroy College. Another possibility for us would be the one beside the Crescent SC in Dooradoyle, think its called the Comprehensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

banjobongo wrote: »
    yes ive heard good things about Laurel Hill too, only problem is I have 2 boys and 2 girls and ideally I would love a mixed school so that they can all go to the same school, which I believe would rule out Laurell hill. ive only heard good things about Castletroy College. Another possibility for us would be the one beside the Crescent SC in Dooradoyle, think its called the Comprehensive?

Yes it's called the Cresent Comprehensive or the Comp by those who go there. Very tough to get your kid in there though I'm told unless you already have a child goin there or their primary school has right of entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Send her to Laurel Hill Colaiste and it will give her a good knowledge of her native language.

I'm afraid it's not as easy as that. I know of 12 girls from a Limerick Gaelscoil who applied there as their first choice, all brilliant students, only 2 got in.

There are currently 14 children in Limerick who have not received any secondary school placement for Sept. 2009.

Your best bet would be to go to as many open nights as possible in the various Limerick secondary schools. Just contact the school secretaries and they will advise when they are held.

Secondary school placements are every parents nightmare. I wish you the very best of luck in looking for and securing a school of preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

If I were you I'd want my daughters in either Laurel Hill (preferably colaiste) or the Crescent. If they have good Irish, the Gaelcolaiste could be a runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It would be no big deal, they might even prefer it if their brothers weren't in the same school.

I can't say a lot against Laurel Hill apart from the few of the oompa loompa brigade who go there giving it a snobby rep. Be prepared for significant "voluntary" contribution requirements. If you can't afford it's not a massive deal, but they will expect a contribution of approx €800 if you have a steady job.

For the lads Ardscoil Rís is my old place (Hi Graham:D) and while it's far from perfect, it's one of the best public schools in the state as regards university entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

ninty9er wrote: »
    For the lads Ardscoil Rís is my old place (Hi Graham:D) and while it's far from perfect, it's one of the best public schools in the state as regards university entry.

Now who might you be? :eek::eek::pac::eek::eek:

You'll find me on your Bebo friends:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Send the lads to Clements if they like GAA!! Big GAA school, because of the principal being an Adare man!

Other than that....its okay, your child is pretty much fecked if he doesnt get into the top two classes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

I'd be honest, If I had girls or boys, I would never put them in a single sex school. I don't like the idea of them at all. I went to St. Nessans. Its ok. 1st,2nd,3rd are tough and a have a nicce number of dirt balls in there. but they filter out after 3rd year. 5th and 6th were very enjoyable. had a great laugh. If I could, I would try to get them in the comp or castletroy college (preferably the comp). the good thing about Castletroy college is the facilities and the area. Lovely park opposite with lots of things to do and less traffic when crossing roads and stuff. The comp i'd say is a bit better education wise. at least 6 teachers that are in CC were in Nessans when I was there and I can tell you they were not the brightest pick of the bunch. I'd try them two schools though. really good, new schools with great facilities. great for sports too.

I wouldn't let the single sex / mixed argument get in the way of a good education though. If mixed was a must, then Comp is really the only viable option, I hear too much moaning about Castletroy from people at work.

I'm not sure what you mean by outside the cachement area though as people pass many schools and even county boundaries to come to schools in Limerick City. My cousin travels almost 30km to Laurel Hill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

TheLoc wrote: »
    at least 6 teachers that are in CC were in Nessans when I was there and I can tell you they were not the brightest pick of the bunch.

I don't think anyone ever said you had to be good at doing something yourself to be able to teach it.

Through work, I know and visit a number of schools in the Limerick area. In terms of success at school/in exams, the over-riding factor is parental support, encouragement and involvement, so regardless of where they go, your children will do more or less the same.

Of course socially (and academically for boys, less so for girls) a mixed school is a better idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

Speak to the parents of any child in ANY secondary school in the city and you will hear good and bad stories.

Despite some of the naive parents, there are drugs in all the schools. Your child will come in contact with drugs at some stage sooner rather than later. Don't stick your head in the sand.

There is also bullying of some shape or form in all schools as well.

Research has shown that girls do better in single sex schools, boys in mixed sex schools. I can never reconcile that one!!

Laurel Hill is expensive but not as expensive as the €800 quoted, its €600 for the first child and there are discounts for subsequent children.

Crescent is pretty nigh on impossible to get into. Castletroy isn't all its cracked up to be. The new Gael Colaiste is getting very good reports, Laurel Hill Colaiste appears not to be as brilliant as it was a few years ago. Laurel Hill Secondary gets mixed results. Villiers is fine if you're in the top groups but very problematic if you are not.

But as Spurious has said, parents play a huge role in how a child progresses through school. And also whether your child is happy or not.

Has your daughter expressed a preference for any particular school?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

I wouldnt rule out St Endas just because of some stories you were told. I went there myself, albeit i started nearly 20 yrs ago, and received what i'd deem to be a good education. Of course there are always going to be people in the school acting the pr1ck, but can you realistically say that it doesn't happen in every school? I remember hearing stories about presentation girls (secondary) school that would make some of the bold boys in endas look like right pansies

just my tuppence worth...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Its fairly obvious that if you want a good upbringing for a child coupled with a good education then you need to get your child into a school surrounded by a good middle class demographic just like the one you are looking for in Castletroy College.

There are only two schools in Limerick which still have a name that means something.

St Munchins College
    &
    Laurel Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

Berty wrote: »
    Its fairly obvious that if you want a good upbringing for a child coupled with a good education then you need to get your child into a school surrounded by a good middle class demographic just like the one you are looking for in Castletroy College.

Are kids in this middle class demographic less likely to do drugs in school? I'd doubt it. I'm from a working class background and I can tell you that the other kids in the school from the "middle class" areas of the town/county did more drugs than anybody.
    There are only two schools in Limerick which still have a name that means something.

St Munchins College
    &
    Laurel Hill

Laurel Hill - can't comment
    St. Munchins - I think their name went out with the abolition of the entrance exams of old.

Are kids in this middle class demographic less likely to do drugs in school? I'd doubt it. I'm from a working class background and I can tell you that the other kids in the school from the "middle class" areas of the town/county did more drugs than anybody.

Laurel Hill - can't comment
    St. Munchins - I think their name went out with the abolition of the entrance exams of old.

I did not say anything about drugs. I said a good upbringing coupled with a good education.

St Munchins still has a good name and always will because of its long history and sporting background. I went to St Munchins on the back of an entrance exam so didnt know any better then so I cant really comment on the state of the entry requirment now.

I have been in job interviews with the mere fact I went to St Munchins gave me on extra point over other candidates because the interviewer would have gone there. Its not quite yale tie syndrome but its as close to it as possible. In that instance the name still means something to some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FunBall

My daughter goes to Laurel Hill Colaiste they voluntary contribution is nothing like the €800 quoted in these posts, my son goes to Ard Scoil and his contribution is only slightly less. Both are big into disipline, hard work and sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

St Munchins College
    &
    Laurel Hill

How dare you traduce the name of Arscoil in such a manner? Ardscoil remains the best school in Ireland, best school in Ireland, best school in Ireland, and we won blackboard jungle, we won blackboard jungle de na na na.

and we won blackboard jungle, we won blackboard jungle de na na na.

And you still parade that out every so often along with the clapped out bus you were given. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And you still parade that out every so often along with the clapped out bus you were given. :D

That bus disappeared when I was in third year. That's about 5 years ago! :eek:

But seriously though, ASR is definitely not a school to be ignored (even if all the old rivalries are still funny :D ) It's far from perfect, but there are some top-class teachers there. It's not a great place to send a lad who doesn't play hurling or rugby though :(
    That said, the TYP they run is one of the best around (as long as one applies themself to it properly) and there is a world class retreat programme for 6th Year students.

I suppose I should clarify my query, which is two fold:
    1/some general feedback on what are the best mixed schools in Limerick area (including, as I live in the general Ballyneety area, Co Limerick eg Bruff etc);
    2/and, probably more importantly, what if anything can be done to get your child into your chosen school? While my daughter is still a year away, the more research I do, the more difficult it seems to be to get your child into the school of your choice, as we are not in any of ther "Catchment Areas" and therefore dont fit into their first choice of streams?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

firstly every school has the good and the bad and that includes teachers and pupils. More importantly, parental support and encouragement is essential in secondary school. Don't think that they will suddenly be blessed with the life skills required to deal with all different types of teachers, subjects, much bigger school, study, etc. Primary school is so closeted as by the time you reach 6th class, all the primary teachers in a school would know your child and the child knows the whole primary set up. Plus, parents generally would know the child's friends for a long period of time. Secondary school brings a much bigger school (generally), and new friends where you may not know them, their values, etc. So home and parental involvement and encouragement is important.

Secondly, the common school application getting into secondary schools in Limerick is almost a disaster if you don't already have a right of entry either through location, feeder school or if a parent was a past pupil. In this case, you are in the pool of "random" selection. Now, as with everything in life that is randomly selected, if it isn't done openly it allows itself open to all kinds of misuse and abuse. If you have a school you'd prefer for your dd (and please do let her have an input into the choice too) your best bet is to get friendly with the principal of that school somehow. I've gone through this new system twice and think its a nightmare situation to put children through. You are relying on pure luck that you will be chosen "randomly" from the pot. There is only one school in Limerick that I know of that actually has an overseer to ensure that its random selection is in fact truely random and all above board (Scoil Carmel). Cases of appeal have been taken to the dept of education over the veracity of the random selections used by Limerick schools.

Also, remember that the school that will suit one of your children may not necessarily suit your other children. I know my second child would not have prospered in the school the eldest is going to. Still debating where to send my third child.

Best of luck with decisions - wouldn't wish this new system on anyone.

thanks oh well.
    Yes the whole situation does seem to be a nightmare (ie tring to get your child into your chosen school). I know of one parent who falsified their address in onrder to get their child into thier preferred school!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Echoing An File's statement about ASR it is first class if your child is into Hurling. They beat Flannans there last week and it's now the standard bearer for Gaelic Games in Limerick city.

I couldn't say a bad word about the place but I have heard the place has got a hell of a lot stricter since Liam Martin left. Some great teachers there aswell and nearly everyone in my year got the course they wanted in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

As far as I know there is a bus from Ballyneety to Croom? thats our families first choice, personally I wouldn't choose Bruff, I know of at 2 families who took their kids out cause they felt held back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 HughOS

I can recommend Castletroy. It's a relatively new school, the facilities are all top notch - labs, computers, a/v.... They've had good success in the Young Scientist year on year, usually winning a category or two. In fact a few years ago one student won the whole thing.

They're trying to build up a sporting reputation in the school too. They've had all Ireland winning girls hockey, soccer and basketball teams and last year they won the Munster Junior and Senior schools cup. Everyone is quite tight nit as well. You'll make great friends out here for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

i went to crescent comp great school, but as people say its very hard to get into unless you have right of entry via a brother or sister already there or if you know some one.. also trying to get a girl in is near impossible seen as more boys get in then girls.. Castletroy college or laurel hill are also two good schools so i hear..

Advertisement