Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thread on secondary schools in Limerick

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

oh well wrote: »
    Secondly, the common school application getting into secondary schools in Limerick is almost a disaster if you don't already have a right of entry either through location, feeder school or if a parent was a past pupil. In this case, you are in the pool of "random" selection. Now, as with everything in life that is randomly selected, if it isn't done openly it allows itself open to all kinds of misuse and abuse. If you have a school you'd prefer for your dd (and please do let her have an input into the choice too) your best bet is to get friendly with the principal of that school somehow. I've gone through this new system twice and think its a nightmare situation to put children through. You are relying on pure luck that you will be chosen "randomly" from the pot. There is only one school in Limerick that I know of that actually has an overseer to ensure that its random selection is in fact truely random and all above board (Scoil Carmel). Cases of appeal have been taken to the dept of education over the veracity of the random selections used by Limerick schools.

I'd be interested in hearing more about this tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

4 years ago LH Colaiste were taken by approx 13 sets of parents to Section 29 appeal. In almost all cases the randomness of the procedure was called into question. None of the parents won their cases but I believe there was plenty of doubt shown and plenty of questions. In that year after the Appeals had finished, the Colaiste BOM did take the unusual step of offering places to all girls who had the school as its first choice for that year only. The Section 29 Appeal can only be won (I believe) where you can prove that that the Enrolment Policy of the school wasn't adhered to. Since these cases, I would imagine all schools have tightened up their procedures, and some schools have handed their policies to Solicitors to ensure their wording is legal.

As I said earlier, its a nightmare situation to put 12 year olds into. If you don't get your 1st choice school, it can be extremely difficult to get into 2nd or 3rd choice. If your application to 1st choice school is rejected, the application gets passed back to the Education Office in (I think) the Parkway. The form then gets passed to 2nd choice school. By this time however, the 2nd choice school is more than likely full by its own 1st choice applications. Forms gets passed to 3rd choice, same story, etc, etc, etc. Many of the children being rejected are good children who want to learn. What a real kick in the teeth to learn that your 1/2/3/4/5 choice of school doesn't want you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

How dare you traduce the name of Arscoil in such a manner? Ardscoil remains the best school in Ireland, best school in Ireland, best school in Ireland, and we won blackboard jungle, we won blackboard jungle de na na na.

+1 on all that.c0ck shalloo c0ck shalloo!!

The transition year program being run in ASR is top notch. Used to love the motto Affirm Challenge Excel. As a former student of the year :o, I can honestly say it helped me out exceptionally.

When I was a student in ASR (graduated in 2000), they had a very good music program in place, but I was disappointed to see it get the boot after some time. Even though its a great school for sport/academia, I found it lacking in the arts programs. Although recently I saw that they were involved in with Laurel Hill in the making of a musical, so I guess thats a step in the right direction. Still though, way too much emphasis put on sport in my opinion.

I took part in a scheme called workplace in the school, in Crescent Comp a few years ago where my employer at the time had a few of us (with varied educational backgrounds) come in and chat to the kids who were deemed 'at risk' educationally, about how we got to where we were at that time. From what I could see, it was a good program encouraging kids to stick it out and move on to third level education.
    The realisation that the demographic in the school is/should be,a cross section of society, and not everybody is an A Grade student/Sporting hero is what sets these institutions apart from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

ninty9er wrote: »
    I can't say a lot against Laurel Hill apart from the few of the oompa loompa brigade who go there giving it a snobby rep. Be prepared for significant "voluntary" contribution requirements. If you can't afford it's not a massive deal, but they will expect a contribution of approx €800 if you have a steady job.

yeah comp had those voluntary payments as well i think probably most schools do at this stage. We never paid it , can't remember how much they were now, but they were up around that figure as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Yeah comp had the fees that were around 400 i think then if you'd two kids in i think it was like 600. Nothin happens if you dont pay it.

Harpy was right in her post about it being a great school but being almost impossible to get a girl in but it can be done. You should really look into it soon though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I'd suggest Colaiste Chiarain in Croom - my kids go there - it's a mixed school. The results there are very high - it's got a strict regime - can be expensive (what school isn't now a days) and there's a bus service every day. They have evening study - and great out of school activities too - music, gaa, and anything you might like ur son or daughter to do. Contact Trish or Susan out there and they'll be able to give you more information. Will be sending 3rd child there sept 2010....oh and all the kids use laptops for homework and teaching purposes.. Good luck with ur placement.

Advertisement