Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC + Eircom Phonewatch

Options
  • 04-02-2009 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Quick enough question, will UPC's phone service definitely not work with Eircom Phonewatch alarm monitoring?

I called UPC and she said no, but maybe someone here has found a way around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

AlanD wrote: »
    Quick enough question, will UPC's phone service definitely not work with Eircom Phonewatch alarm monitoring?

Nope, it wont work with any voip service, neither will a Sky box if you have one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Without meaning to sound smart but would Eircom phonewatch not the be the right people to ask about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

dub45 wrote: »
    Without meaning to sound smart but would Eircom phonewatch not the be the right people to ask about this?

that's ok, they are next on the list...I'm just in the middle of a conference call (listening only!) so won't get a chance for a little while yet, so said I'd ask here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

that's ok, they are next on the list...I'm just in the middle of a conference call (listening only!) so won't get a chance for a little while yet, so said I'd ask here.

Even if UPC assured you that it was possible ulitmately its Eircom Phonewatch who would have the final say.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Nope, it wont work with any voip service, neither will a Sky box if you have one.

More subtle.

Phonewatch uses landline SMS. It will only work on an eircom analogue line. You can get a GSM adaptor from eircom in cases where your line isn't working any more or you order phonewatch but have no line. It won't work even on a real phone line that is not on an eircom network (CPS doesn't count). SMS uses a number of a "service centre" or SMS Router. If you are not on the host network the number doesn't answer. Mobile phones have the SMSC number of your phone operator in the configuration for the SMS setup.

A Sky digibox may work on VOIP if the Quality Of Service is OK and it is using G.711 codec with low jitter and very low packet loss. Similarly with a Fax. If you can send more than one page at once with fax, then a Digibox will likely manage to phone home.

Phonewatch can never work on VOIP as even if SMS was enabled (for DECT phones), you can't edit the SMSC number (eircom's) in the Alarm unit. Landline SMS can work very happily on VOIP networks if the VOIP operator has an SMSC (or equivalent) as it uses low speed FSK or DTMF, both of which work over VOIP.

It could be solved if every operator could use the SAME SMSC number on their own network. But apparently that's not allowed.

You COULD complain to eircom, Consumer Association, Comreg, the EU ... It's not the fault of UPC or VOIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Darando

Sorry for resurrecting this thread.

Currently have analogue NTL (UPC) for tv and Eircom for phone (actually Imagine). Thinking of switching it all to NTL.

We have a house alarm that will send out text messages to my mobile if it goes off - (the alarm is NOT Eircom phonewatch, its just a standard house alarm that the installer hooked up to the phone line)

Am I correct in assuming this present system is not transferable to NTL (UPC) phone line???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Just some info, which you guys may already know, but from my experience running broadband, in particular EBB with a phone wired home alarm is a major pain. The company I work for do the home installs for Eircom (along with some other companies) and the main issue we had was that people would say that they had contacted Eircom Phonewatch, but in reality Eircom and Eircom Phonewatch are 2 different companies, it caused us no end of grief, and often meant that users would be left waiting for weeks for one side or the other to get their sh1t together and make the first move!!!

I've also worked for a company that installed Sky dishes / boxes in the past, and they were in the same boat, either way it's a pain on the punter. I understood that the alarms used the bandwidt that the broadband service don't use, or so I've been told from several Eircom staff members, I wonder is it possible to have the alarms send messages in several formats? automated phonecall and maybe a language common to both linux and windows (I'm assuming base code would do this?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Darando wrote: »
    Sorry for resurrecting this thread.

Currently have analogue NTL (UPC) for tv and Eircom for phone (actually Imagine). Thinking of switching it all to NTL.

We have a house alarm that will send out text messages to my mobile if it goes off - (the alarm is NOT Eircom phonewatch, its just a standard house alarm that the installer hooked up to the phone line)

Am I correct in assuming this present system is not transferable to NTL (UPC) phone line???

It depends on th alarm system.

UPC use a digital line.
    If the alarm system is compatible with a digital telephone system, it'll work, if it's an older analogue only system, it won't work.
    Check with your alarm company and they can tell you.

Yes it will work with a Sky box.

Advertisement