Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics or Applied Maths ?

• 04-02-2009 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I'm taking a subject before school in the mornings and I have to decide between economics and applied maths.

I didn't take business for the junior cert so would it be to hard for me to pick up economics for the leaving.

Im in honours maths and its one of the subjects I don't have to work to hard at it for a good grade but I'm not taking physics so would it be a bad idea for me to take applied maths.

Anyone with any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

If you do take applied maths, the physics course is ALOT easier, so naturally it would make sense for you to do physics if you plan on doing applied maths.

Economics is okay, JC business would help but is by no means essential. Not alot of hard stuff to understand in economics, just a bit of tedious learning.

If your def not picking Physics, I'd do economics. If you do decide to pick Physics, I'd do applied maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TYs0809

I'm definetly not doing physics jst biology and possibly chemistry.

But at the same time I'm definetly not doing business after school.

So I'm very confused as what to do because really its just another subject for me to do because I'm doing pass irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Applied Maths isn't an easy subject. Don't think that by doing it, you'll be like the majority who get A's. A lot of the people who do it are interested and naturally smart in the first place. You'll need to do a lot of work to get that A. It's a very hard and challenging subject and if you're not interested in the subject, I wouldn't bother.

I'd go with Economics. It's a short and easy course that you can easily take outside school.

I know its not an easy course and i do have a genunie interest in maths.

It isn't an subject outside school the school holds classes in the morning before school starts.

It won't make a difference if you're not doing physics with applied maths. The mechanics section in physics is, basically, retared compared to the mechanics in applied maths (which is what all of applied maths is).

As has been said by Fringe above, don't be fooled by the very high A rate in applied maths. It is unarguably one of the most difficult Leaving Cert. subjects (if you don't have any mathematical ability, that is). It's a very short course, I took it up myself this year (I'm repeating) and covered the complete course in less than six weeks. But, to have two years to cover it would be brilliant, which you have.

I don't do economics, so, I can't comment on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

"I took it up myself this year (I'm repeating) and covered the complete course in less than six weeks. "

Holy Jamoly.
    I thought I was a smartie pants taking it up in a year, but that is pretty impressive man. Kudos.

To the OP, allthough I think It would be great if more students took up applied maths, I have heard that economics is an easy A with a bit of rote learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

I didn't do Business for the Junior either but I picked Economics and I'm doing it in the mocks now, my god I fcuking hate it. Everyday I wish i picked History or Geography instead of it.

Hope that helps :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

It won't make a difference if you're not doing physics with applied maths. The mechanics section in physics is, basically, retared compared to the mechanics in applied maths (which is what all of applied maths is).

As has been said by Fringe above, don't be fooled by the very high A rate in applied maths. It is unarguably one of the most difficult Leaving Cert. subjects (if you don't have any mathematical ability, that is). It's a very short course, I took it up myself this year (I'm repeating) and covered the complete course in less than six weeks. But, to have two years to cover it would be brilliant, which you have.

I don't do economics, so, I can't comment on that.
    just a question. im repeating honours maths, and im of the opinion ill do alot better this year! you say you covered the course in six weeks? was that starting from never doin applied maths maths before or what? would it be doable to take up now? id have the interest in the physics aspect, and i have the interest in maths?

(maybe this is just a rush of blood to the head) :L:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I don't do applied maths but I think economics is really easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

I'd say if you like thinking things out, and have good spatial reasoning, pick applied maths.

So far, for me, it's been the only LC subject that hasn't boiled down to one's ability to simply learn by heart.

You'll really I enjoy it.

:)

• Advertisement

ayapatrick wrote: »
    just a question. im repeating honours maths, and im of the opinion ill do alot better this year! you say you covered the course in six weeks? was that starting from never doin applied maths maths before or what? would it be doable to take up now? id have the interest in the physics aspect, and i have the interest in maths?

Yah, that was starting from never doing it before. But, I've always had a huge interest in mechanics, so, I would of had knowledge of most of the topics in the course beforehand. I wouldn't recommend trying to cover it in that short of a span!

But, if you have an interest in maths and physics, you should certainly consider looking into it. It isn't a long course, and it can be very "easy" if you're anyway mathematically orientated.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

I did both as extra subjects once a week. Is that an option for you?

They were my favourite subjects.

The biggest problem with Economics is the marking schemes:mad::mad:. They are :confused::confused:

Applied maths is the opposite. You get full marks for the right answer and don't lose too many marks for slips.

From the sounds of it you'd probably prefer Applied Maths. Almost everyone who does it genuinely enjoys it. (Projectiles=:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    If you do take applied maths, the physics course is ALOT easier, so naturally it would make sense for you to do physics if you plan on doing applied maths.

What?? Applied maths and Physics only interlink with mechanics and simple harmonic motion, that's hardly the whole phyiscs course?

If you want to do Applied Maths you gonna have to practice at least once a week or your gonna lose it. I've being doing it for 2 years in the Institute, haven't put in any extra work and i'll probably fail it in the mocks. According to my mates however, Economics is easy to revise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LiveMaths

I don't know anything about Leaving Cert Economics but I do know that if you like Leaving Cert Honours Maths you will probably like Leaving Cert Applied Maths also. Also it is an advantage to have Physics as there is some overlap (e.g. Linear Acc Motion, Newtons Laws, Circular/SHM etc.) but it is by no means essential. It is definitely possible to get an A or a B in Applied Maths even if you are not doing Physics as the only real requirement is to be good at Maths. I know of at least one student for definite who didn't have Physics and got an A but I am sure there are countless others

It is also worth bearing in mind that the Applied Maths course is much shorter than the Leaving Cert Maths course so you will have no worries about making time for it - especially if you are only in TY now and if you get organised about your work.

I might be able to do both subjects but the teacher thats organising the subjects for next year doesn't know if economics and applied maths will be on the same day or not untill next year.

When I asked my Careers teacher she said either would be fine to pick up as long as I have honours maths for applied maths but then a business teacher i asked said it would be dodgy for me to pick up economics without having business done for junior cert.

So really I'm getting mixed results from everyone on what I should do and If i take up both I'll be doing 9 subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Applied maths is meant to be a relatively easy course (IMPORTANT) if you have a natural talent for maths etc.If your not good at maths stay well away from it like the plague.

Economics although long is a lot broader and can be approached by anybody.Its a slogger of a subject and with a bit of learning,you can do really well.You dont have to be excellent at essay writing as that not what their looking for here.If you keep it short and to the point they will give you very good marks.I know that last sentence has been said a million times but in this subject i really mean it,with most of the "long questions",you can bullet point them and get equal if not better marks that just doing it in paragraph form.

You wouldnt need to do business in the jc to do economics in the lc.Many if not all of the topics covered in the lc were never done in the jc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I do applied maths and I quite enjoy it, BUT I definetly would not say it's an easy A. If you are definetly very mathematically orientated then it would be for you, but i wouldn't advise taking it up if you think its going to be a piece of piss.
    I haven't done economics but from what I believe its similar to most other leaving cert subjects in how the amount of work you put it in will be directly proportional to how well you do. Applied maths on the other hand has a very compact course, but short does not neccessarily mean easy.

TYs0809 wrote: »
    I might be able to do both subjects but the teacher thats organising the subjects for next year doesn't know if economics and applied maths will be on the same day or not untill next year.

When I asked my Careers teacher she said either would be fine to pick up as long as I have honours maths for applied maths but then a business teacher i asked said it would be dodgy for me to pick up economics without having business done for junior cert.

So really I'm getting mixed results from everyone on what I should do and If i take up both I'll be doing 9 subjects.

nah that's stupid what the careers teacher said. I didn't do business for jnr cert. It has absolutely nothing to do with economics anyway! just as long as you're interested in economics you should be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

nah that's stupid what the careers teacher said. I didn't do business for jnr cert. It has absolutely nothing to do with economics anyway! just as long as you're interested in economics you should be grand
    i have ta say that, if our careers teacher is anything to go buy, she is probably wrong or doesnt know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

on the study-is-fun side,Applied maths is highly interesting ,but on the get-600-in-LC side,is a no no.it is not a very tough course,but you will need a good teacher/good notes/lots of practice for it.imagine there is only about 150+ people take it every year(from what i remember anyway),you know how nasty of this subject.the good thing is you dont need to master everything in the course,you will need about 7 out of 9 questions (well) prepared before hand and you can score an A.

i got A1 in Maths but B1 in Applied Maths,imagine the toughness involved there.that said,i did 3 sciences at that time too,could affect my overall performance:P*not showing off here or something,LC is rubbish to us now*

and for the physics+Applied maths part,is not necessary obviously,but most people i know at that time did physics+applied maths.

and for the business subject part,wouldnt be a bad idea at all if you have some business knowledge,you have a broad knowledge on everything is good for your future too.

good luck OP in your study!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Theres actually over 1300 people sitting applied maths each yr:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Yeah, it has about the same uptake as spanish, so its not that obscure

Des23 wrote: »
    Yeah, it has about the same uptake as spanish, so its not that obscure

Isn't modern Greek ridiculously obscure? I think something like 5 people have taken it in the last 3 or 4 years. Applied maths is pretty damn popular in comparison!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Isn't modern Greek ridiculously obscure? I think something like 5 people have taken it in the last 3 or 4 years. Applied maths is pretty damn popular in comparison!

At least Applied Maths is Time Tabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Cove.Throne

Thinking of picking up Economics myself,but im not sure which leaving cert text book is the best?.Heard some Economics books are ment to be useless.Could anyone point me in the right direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

lol....oh my memory lol left out a 0

Thinking of picking up Economics myself,but im not sure which leaving cert text book is the best?.Heard some Economics books are ment to be useless.Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I would tell you NOT to get mine, it's a pile of ****e but I can't remember the name of it, haven't seen it in about a year! I have a really good revision book, I think it might be rapid revision! I'll find out what the name of mine is so you DON'T get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Not sure of the title, but its a blue covered one, small (not A4) and has red and black print, it seems decent.

Fad wrote: »
    Not sure of the title, but its a blue covered one, small (not A4) and has red and black print, it seems decent.

that's mine, DON'T get it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Cove.Throne

Oh right thanks,would anyone know any good ones then?

Advertisement