Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smashing Pumpkins yay or nay?

• 04-02-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Good songs, not your usual rock band in that they tried to be original. However one thing that could actually be used as a form of torture in Guantanamo is Billy Corgan's vocals. He sounds like a lethal case of constipation. Also something about the mixes in some of the songs means everything sounds very claustrophobic, like theres no room for any of the tracks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

what the ****?!
    great band,end of story.
    always thought they were timeless.
    Gish,Siamese Dream,Mellon Collie are all classics and I quite enjoyed Zeitgeist

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

They have some great songs but I never liked Billy Corgans vocals either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Great music, whiny-nasal vocals..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

gish is a great album as is siamese dream,I did'nt anything after that,there new album has some good tunes on it though,some great drumming too,corgans voice can sound whiney though at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Nay f****n way. Is all I have to say. Wahey!

That whiney bastard f**ks it all up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

Baaaaaaaaaaaad vocals!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

YAY!!!

I know Corgan's vocals are a bit whiney- okay, quite whiney- but still, they're still a great band. Besides, I think his vocals complement the music. Not every band needs an amazing vocalist to be successful- Sex Pistols, anyone?

It's the passion and intensity that counts. I'd pick Bob Dylan or Tom Waits over the latest X-factor winner every day, for example, and they certainly don't have the best singing voices.

Anyway, best SP albums- Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie. Thinking of getting this as a tattoo, in fact- :D

heart8.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Definitely yay. Although if I didn't love them I'm sure Corgan's vocals would ruin most of their songs for me. However Jimmy Chamberlain's drumming would make up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

However Jimmy Chamberlain's drumming would make up for it.

Yay for that! what a drummer! (when he isn't injecting drugs into his foot! :D)

I like the Pumpkins music a lot, Billy's vocals do grate after a while though imo too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't know how any rock/metal fan could dislike Smashing Pumpkins! I can see how people could dislike Corgan's vocal style but I think he has quite an extensive vocal range and when it comes to songs that mix quiet and loud parts his voice suits perfectly I think.

Their best album in my opinion is Siamese Dream. Today, Cherub Rock, Mayonaise and Soma are genius! I think the only below-average quality tracks on it are Luna and Sweet Sweet.

Here's Soma being played live:

Gish (I Am One, Triestessa) and Pisces Iscariot (Hello Kitty Cat, Starla, Frail And Bedazzled) are well worth checking out to see how their sound evolved from it's early days. Mellon Collie would have made one excellent album I think rather than two bloated ones but I think there would be a lot of argument over what tracks to omit :).

I was quite disappointed in Adore when I got it first but the electronica aspect has grown on me over the years.

Machina, Machina II and Zeitgeist I haven't really listened to enough to comment. They didn't appeal to me when I heard them first though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nay all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Definitely a terrific band. ;)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I liked all their older stuff, but must confess to not having listened much to their newer material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

that video of Soma that Malice posted is very good,that and Cherub Rock are probably my favourite tunes by them,although Quiet when it kicks in that opening riff is excellent,Siamese Dream is just epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

byte wrote: »
    I liked all their older stuff, but must confess to not having listened much to their newer material.

You know, I loved their later stuff. So many people at the time hated Adore, but I rank it very highly indeed. Machina also, really enjoyed that album.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I 've only listened to one song off of machina,and that heavy metal or somthing,I cant remember the song name,but a good song all the same :D.chamberlin rocks whooooooooo :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Bestest band ever!

I love the Pumpkins, have done for years.

Corgan's vocals are hard for some to take, but his lyrics and musical creativity are unreal.

Superb band, even if the current line-up misses Iha and Wrestsky badly.

You know, I loved their later stuff. So many people at the time hated Adore, but I rank it very highly indeed. Machina also, really enjoyed that album.

Adore's beautiful. Far and away their most emotive, unsurprising giving the effect that year had on Corgan. Machina is also wonderful. It's a superb evolution of their original style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Saw em at V festival in Melbourne last year. :o cant remember much

I have dug out Gish here now, :eek::eek::eek: i forgot how fukkin amazing it is!!............oh sh1t, song with Darcy singing has come on:mad::mad::mad::mad:. Ill just go back to the start of the album again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Pumpkins were awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

released their new single as car commerical during super bowl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Corgan's vocals are certainly an acquired taste but don't let that put you off some of the greatest alternative rock music created.

There's quite a few recently released live tracks like peace and love, 99 floors, as rome burns etc that are worth checking out. Smashing Pumpkins release a lot of really good stuff inbetween albums that never gets picked up beyond their core fanbase. Shame, because there's some fine tracks there.

dead air wrote: »
    Corgan's vocals are certainly an acquired taste but don't let that put you off some of the greatest alternative rock music created.

There's quite a few recently released live tracks like peace and love, 99 floors, as rome burns etc that are worth checking out. Smashing Pumpkins release a lot of really good stuff inbetween albums that never gets picked up beyond their core fanbase. Shame, because there's some fine tracks there.

Even their fans miss out a lot of it.

Not helped by Corgan lambasting us at any opportunity. ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Probably my favourite band. Great albums in the 90's. Not a bad one in 2007 either. People should also check out G.L.O.W. and Superchrist as I think they're two of the best songs they've put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

My favourite band, every album is completely different. Adore being my favourite.

Gish was quite psychadelic, Siamese Dream was epic back when that word actually meant something, Mellon Collie did everything from metal to folk-style stuff, Adore was dark and introspective, the Machina records were nothing like the previous records and Zeitgeist was an encouraging return after the split.

Pisces Iscariot and Judas-O are also must listens. Apparently they're only going to release a handful of songs every so often now, no more albums. Of their very recent stuff I really like Superchrist, As Rome Burns and 99 Floors. GLOW and the newest song haven't quite hit me like the old stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Acacia wrote: »
    Anyway, best SP albums- Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie. Thinking of getting this as a tattoo, in fact- :D

heart8.gif

Got that a few months back:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58261357&postcount=17

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

dead air wrote: »

Very true, theres also some fantastic stuff on the Mellon Collie singles (Aeroplane Flies High Boxset) such as Set the Ray to Jerry, The Aeroplane Flies High, Tribute to Johnny, Tonight Reprise, Transformer, etc...

Really liking the new acoustic stuff, not so much the heavier stuff they're putting out these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yay imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 HercHauk

Muisc for Sudo Depressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

HercHauk wrote: »
    Muisc for Sudo Depressed.

Pseudo?

Advertisement