Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smashing Pumpkins yay or nay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

keane2097 wrote: »
    Pseudo?

At least we're not pseudo-retarded. ;)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You know, I loved their later stuff. So many people at the time hated Adore, but I rank it very highly indeed. Machina also, really enjoyed that album.
    Hmm, must give them a listen so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 HercHauk

I am mentaly retarded. There.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

byte wrote: »
    Hmm, must give them a listen so.

Adore is a class album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

released their new single as car commerical during super bowl

Brill band:)

Free download of Smashing Pumpkins song FOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

They WERE a good band. They have gont ot **** in recent years, as Corgans ego gren unchecked. I think Adore was the last decent album and even then there was a lot of crap on it. Siamese Dream is their best, followed by Gish. The Aeroplane Flies High Looks Left Turns Right box set is good too. A lot of stuff that should have been on another album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Gish= Tribute to all the musical influences Billy Corgan felt the need to put on one record

Siamese Dream= One of the best albums of all time

Mellon Collie= A cock measuring guitar **** contest with, probably, radiohead.....the judges clearly being Pink Floyd in the early 70's....yes 25 years before this double album of mostly dross was created......except for Bullet With Buttefly Wings.....that was written by Kurt Cobain and called Opinion....but everyone knows that already.Bit of a sickener because it was the only good song apart from Muzzle....and maybe Zero.

Sh1te= everything else....the latest Pumpkins incarnation is not even worthy of my head turn. It isn't the pumpkins.

Of course this is only my opinion.....it merely coincides with absolute truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Den_M wrote: »

Wow, that looks really cool! Love it! :D
    HercHauk wrote: »
    Muisc for Sudo Depressed.
    :confused:

Like SudoCrem for depressed people?

http://beaut.ie/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/sudocrem.jpg

Gish= Tribute to all the musical influences Billy Corgan felt the need to put on one record

Siamese Dream= One of the best albums of all time

Mellon Collie= A cock measuring guitar **** contest with, probably, radiohead.....the judges clearly being Pink Floyd in the early 70's....yes 25 years before this double album of mostly dross was created......except for Bullet With Buttefly Wings.....that was written by Kurt Cobain and called Opinion....but everyone knows that already.Bit of a sickener because it was the only good song apart from Muzzle....and maybe Zero.

Sh1te= everything else....the latest Pumpkins incarnation is not even worthy of my head turn. It isn't the pumpkins.

Of course this is only my opinion.....it merely coincides with absolute truth.
    What an angry post. ^^

Siamese Dream remains one of the best albums I've ever listened to, and will probably always remain one of my favourites. In terms of the Pumpkins canon, I disagree with your take on Mellon Collie, I'd hardly contrast it to Radiohead, it's from 1995, Radiohead didn't really gain massive popularity until OK Computer which was released 2 years later. I take it you don't like Radiohead either? Anyway, while self-indulgent, it's the self-indulgence of a great band at the height of their creative powers.

The crises that followed Mellon Collie for the band and the members ends up with Adore, which I've always loved, which is a nice break from their traditional music, while maintaining their emotional development.

As for Machina, I'd hardly call that shít, it's a great album. The more recent stuff might not be as good, but not too many bands have stayed great over 15 years.
    Acacia wrote: »
    Wow, that looks really cool! Love it! :D

:confused:

Like SudoCrem for depressed people?

http://beaut.ie/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/sudocrem.jpg

Sudocrem rawks! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

this stand up to all their work

still great not convinced by the last album though and thats with jimmy back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What about Where Boys Fear To Tread, Bodies, Tales Of A Scorched Earth, XYU, Jellybelly and An Ode To No One?
    Why do you say it isn't the Pumpkins? You do realise that Billy wrote all the music and played all the instruments bar drums on Siamese Dream? Do you really believe D'Arcy Wretsky and James Iha make that much of a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

I adore the first 2 albums, and MCIS too (but it just doesnt compare to the other 2).

Imo, siamese dream is one of the greatest albums ever created and soma is one of the greatest songs.

The vocals are kinda whiney,but it wouldn't be the same with anyone else!!.

'Pity he went all "tortured-artisty" though, everything after the first 3 albums was a complete let down. He kinda missed the point of music...the music aspect :).

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

malice_ wrote: »
    You do realise that Billy wrote all the music and played all the instruments bar drums on Siamese Dream? Do you really believe D'Arcy Wretsky and James Iha make that much of a difference?

Now thats just not true.
    Iha co-wrote Soma & Mayonaise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

think everything up to mellon collie was class, especially Siamese dream obviously, but there were a few good tracks on adore and the one after it. i lost touch with them though when James&darcy left. its all ****e after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Definately yes!
    Fantastic band - they had it. Melody, lyrics, sound et cetera. Fab band, I love how their albums varied sonically

fortuneg wrote: »
    Now thats just not true.
    Okay maybe he didn't play all of the instruments but then, you didn't address that in your post :). Anyway, you're right, according to here Iha did co-write those two songs.

My question still stands though. Would Wretsky and Iha really make that much of a difference to the modern Smashing Pumpkins? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Okay maybe he didn't play all of the instruments but then, you didn't address that in your post :). Anyway, you're right, according to here Iha did co-write those two songs.

My question still stands though. Would Wretsky and Iha really make that much of a difference to the modern Smashing Pumpkins? I doubt it.

Personally I think Iha was responsible for a lot of the 'dreamy' ambiance during the slower parts of the early Pumpkins stuff & throughout much of Machina.
    The newer stuff has been distinctly lacking those slower ambient breaks.

Now thats just not true.
    I feel the band lacks someone to try and contrast Corgan's considerable ego and talent, which is what Iha offered.
    think everything up to mellon collie was class, especially Siamese dream obviously, but there were a few good tracks on adore and the one after it. i lost touch with them though when James&darcy left. its all ****e after that.

Darcy had left long before Iha. Like, an album before. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I feel the band lacks someone to try and contrast Corgan's considerable ego and talent, which is what Iha offered.

Darcy had left long before Iha. Like, an album before. :P

D'arcy played on Machina, which was their last album before the split, she left before the Machina tour began.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Brilliant. Gish and Siamese Dream are amazing. Mellon Collie is mixed but has plenty of great moments - self-indulgent is correct though. The ego of that man...
    Adore is great too. Couldn't understand the hatred at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

the best band of the 90's for me, I love gish, siamese dreams and mellon collie...everything after that was crap!
    His voice was always out of tune, but it was good as it was! listen at tales from scortched earth for example, it's bloody brilliant even if you can't understand a word!
    Re: last album, I reckon B. Corgan has tried to learn how to sing properly in the last 2 years, he set his voice louder than the guitars and the drumming ... he failed miserably!
    what a pity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Yay. I think they are a class act. Actually came across my Rotten Apples cd so listened to that on my drive down last night.
    I also really like the new album Zeitgeist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

love them or hate them....no other band could do what they did on gish, siamese dream or mellon collie....so that kind of answers the question....i am a fan but i do get annoyed by pumpkins obsessives who have no quality control....song wise.....zeitgeist is a terrible album...machina is ok....adore very good....but the other three....are classics ...FACT

Personally I think Iha was responsible for a lot of the 'dreamy' ambiance during the slower parts of the early Pumpkins stuff & throughout much of Machina.
    The newer stuff has been distinctly lacking those slower ambient breaks.
    I agree on the lack of ambient breaks and it's quite possible that Iha wrote them but I like to give Billy the benefit of the doubt :). Do you know if Iha has done any solo stuff since his exit from Smashing Pumpkins?
    song wise.....zeitgeist is a terrible album...machina is ok....adore very good....but the other three....are classics ...FACT
    You do know that they have released more than 6 albums?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

I agree on the lack of ambient breaks and it's quite possible that Iha wrote them but I like to give Billy the benefit of the doubt :). Do you know if Iha has done any solo stuff since his exit from Smashing Pumpkins?

You do know that they have released more than 6 albums?

although they are amazing i don't class pisces iscariot or machina 2 as albums...more collections....

D'arcy played on Machina, which was their last album before the split, she left before the Machina tour began.
    Yeah, you're right, my bad. :P
    Dudess wrote: »
    Brilliant. Gish and Siamese Dream are amazing. Mellon Collie is mixed but has plenty of great moments - self-indulgent is correct though. The ego of that man...
    Adore is great too. Couldn't understand the hatred at the time.

I've seen no-one else ever stand for 10 minutes demanding applause at a gig, before it ended. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Cool tattoo!

Love Mellon Collie and Siamese Dream and Adore when I'm in the mood... Mellon Collie is one of the most complete albums of the last 20 years for me, it touches and covers so much. Porcelina of the Oceans Blue and Bodies are my favourite tracks from it

although they are amazing i don't class pisces iscariot or machina 2 as albums...more collections....
    That seems like an odd distinction to make. I can understand not including a "Greatest Hits" compilation which will normally be made up of tracks that fans will already have but when it's a set of new/unreleased/generally unheard material why wouldn't you count it as part of a band's discography?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Only started liking Smashing Pumpkins lately. Great band. Love 1979, Mayonaise, The Everlasting Gaze and Disarm.

And dare I say it, their acoustic version of Thin Lizzys Dancing in the Moonlight is better than the original

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Corgan offered both Iha and D'Arcy the chance to rejoin the band - but neither of them got back to him. I don't blame them to be honest, if you hated being in the band the first time round you're hardly going to jump at the chance to do it the second time around. Not that they hated it per se, I just guess that their relationships fell apart and that was the reason for the split. Its not like they were into different music (although a listen to James Iha's solo album might tell you different).

I do believe, however, that Billy was responsible for all the music and although James co-wrote those two songs (and solo wrote a few more), that's nothing in the grand scheme of things. Anyway with Soma he just had the three chords, Billy wrote the song and the riff and everything else about it (as he notably demonstrates in the If All Goes Wrong DVD).

I am one of the few who likes Zeitgeist. I do have a problem with the volume and new vibrato effect in Billy's voice, and of course the lack of the softer, ambient, dreamy sections, with the sighing vocals (I'm thinking the likes of Obscured etc). But maybe we will see that in times to come. Good that they are taking a new approach to releasing new music, the three songs (Superchrist, GLOW and FOL) are all pretty good and certainly better than some of the latter songs on Zeitgeist.

As for their history, now more and more I am appreciating Adore for being an absolutely beautiful, amazing album. There's only two duff tracks, Shame and Annie Dog, but beyond that there is some fantastic music and stuff that stands up to the best of their work. Behold The Nightmare, For Martha, To Sheila, Tear... musically its brilliant, and vocally its Billy at his least whiney.

Of course Siamese is the recognised "best album" - it is for me too. I remember the summer it came out like yesterday, it was a great time for music. Gish too, my first Pumpkins album (with Rhinoceros being the first Pumpkins song I ever heard).

Mellon I feel was let down by the production and the slap dash approach to recording the vocals which often found them fighting for a place in the mix, rather than being nicely tracked and processed as on the previous albums.

Machina is my least favourite, some good songs but as an album has too many bad songs and bad production. I'd kill for a clearer copy of Machina 2 as I feel that had great potential - pity the versions out there are of such poor quality.

Pisces Iscariot is a good collection of b sides, even though some great great songs were left off it - Glynis, Moleasskiss, Slunk, Smiley, Apathy's Last Kiss, Drown. Also The End is the Beginning is The End is a classic. Judas O isn't as good but its alright.

Some nice sounding songs on the If All Goes Wrong DVD, but are these going to be released or just left as they are on the DVD? Pity they are not making any more albums but I like the approach and as long as the songs are all free then that's OK with me! 3 songs down, only 7 more to go and we've got an album. Hopefully a studio version of Gossamer will appear soon - in all its 37 minute glory!

Advertisement