Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help, shaindaiwa chainsaw

• 04-02-2009 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi, i have a shindaiwa chainsaw and it is so bad at starting and it would pull your arm of trying to start it.I put a new plug in it and had it serviced, But it is still bad at starting. Any ideas how to make it better.It has a 18" bar so its not massive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

When you pull on the start cord does it pull with ease and turn over the motor or is it kind of stoppy starty when you pull on it?

Once started does it stay running?When its running does it run smoothly?Revs may not be set properly?In which case needs to be done with a tachometer.

How old is the saw? Its strange you still have the same problem even after a service. You say you changed the plug which is always best place to start..when it was serviced was the air filter checked and cleaned?

It could be a number i of things..the carb settings could need re adjusting, dirty/broken fuel lines. fuel system could need disassembly and cleaning.

If i had more info maybe i could be more help to you.

JB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

Thanks for reply.
    To answer to some of your questions.
    The cord is hard to pull you have to stand on the saw and pull with 2 arms.It turns the engine. When i finally get it started it runs pretty bad it wont rev very high, if you do rev it , it would probly die.It spluters a lot as well like it will die then rev up, again and again.Id say over 10 years old.The air filter was cleaned, i cleaned it before the service.My father said that all shindaiwas were bad starters, is this true.

regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Do you have the manual? it sounds like the carb needs adjusting. The basic settings should be in the manual also how to tune from there.

Is the petrol clean/new? is the 2 stroke mix accurate?
    Check nothing is jamming the rotors.

If all of the above are ok, I would take it back to the service man and ask him to start it from cold, then ask him to do a proper job!

Dont have the manual.I cleaned out the fuel tank and mixed fresh fuel and put it in.The man who serviced it for me does it out of the back of his house and is fully trained, he only sharpened the chin and gave it a once over.Not a full service, how much should a full service cost including adjusting the carb. and would that make it easier on me to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

Hi again,

one thing that often gets over looked is the bushing in the starter mechanism .These things often become cracked or misplaced when a pull cord gets changed .

adjusting the carb could sort the problem if it is indeed the problem.

one thing i would like you to try is to try and pull the pulley cord with the plug taken out, just to see if it makes it any easier. From what your telling us it sounds to me like it could be a blocked flow of air or fuel. It could be a clogged impulse line or something after the carb. It might even be a reed valve damaged, placed improperly, or blocked. I would check everything you can between the carb and the crank case, since it behaves like it has a hydro-lock. This means that the flow of the air/fuel is being prevented from flowing normally and traps the entire mechanism in place.

You really should bring it back to the guy who serviced it for you if you cant see the problem yourself.(and ask for your money back)

JB

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for replying, i will try the things you said. the ones i cant check ( or know about ) i will get someone to look at them.I will take out the plug tomorrow and see will it be easer to pull.

Advertisement