Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should developers include online achievements?

• 04-02-2009 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, was just wondering whats peoples views on this.

For example if i buy a second hand game a year after its released, and i've gotten all offline achievements, chances are that no one plays it online anymore, so i have no way of getting the other ones. Unless i force my friends to buy the game and make them go online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Pesonally it wouldn't bother me as i don't play games for achivements. What would bother me more is if I bought the game and I wanted to play it online and nobody was playing online anymore leaving the game useless after completion.
    To answer your question I think yes they should include them as some people I know like going for the online achivements in games. Also the developers arguement would be that you should have bought the game when it first came out if you were that bothered by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I think so,

Look at Call of duty 4 and world at war,

I have played days worth of online games and not one achievement gained i think..because there are none:rolleyes:

I play most of my games online rather than ofline so id rather they keep achievements for online gaming too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

was just thinking about this the other day, im sure MS have a say in it too as they want to push live as much as they can.

I have no problem with it as long as the balance is right.

I don't mind online achievements, though I can see where you're coming from - for example, I've tried playing Geon online, but have yet to find anybody playing online at the same time as myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I think so,

Look at Call of duty 4 and world at war,

I have played days worth of online games and not one achievement gained i think..because there are none:rolleyes:

I play most of my games online rather than ofline so id rather they keep achievements for online gaming too!

WaW has loads of online achievements

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

MiCr0 wrote: »
    WaW has loads of online achievements

No it doesn't!

Get Your Left Foot Wet 30g
    Complete a match in Campaign Co-Op mode over Xbox LIVE. (Online co-op only)

Get Your Right Foot Wet 30g
    Complete a match in Competitive Co-Op mode over Xbox LIVE. (Online co-op only)

Blue Ribbon 25g
    Complete a 4-player Competitive Co-Op match in 1st place over Xbox LIVE. (Online co-op only)

It’s All about Prestige 0g
    You achieved the first level of Prestige. Only 9 more to go.

Go Get Some Sun 0g
    You achieved the highest level in the game. Time to go outside and find some things to do...

That's about it really, a couple you can get co-operatively, but that's only optional! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

I don't mind online achievements. But I feel they should never outweigh the offline achivements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Well it doesnt bother me personally, it bothers some of my friends so thats why i brought this topic up. I have no problem if a game has a few online ones, as long as they're not all online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Was just pondering this myself today whilst browsing for a cheap 2nd hand game to kill a few hours.

I think Halo3's online achievements are an example of well done achievements, in that they are in the most achievable whilst still being wothwhile and not a grind to get them.

GTAIV spring to mind as having crappy, actuallly there's loads of games with crappy online achievements - The Darkness, Condemned 2.

I think unless a game is part of a franchise with a proven online element and following the online achievements should be minimal like WaW or none at all.
    Otherwise there's a strong chance that there won't be games to join in the future to earn them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

I think halo is alot different from cod4 and world of war as the online achievments can take some serious skill to achieve and this skill is well balanced but in cod you can be killed by dogs in the middle of a match.

Imagine trying to get an overkill achievment and you keep getting killed cus your team is crap and the other team keep sending in air strikes and dogs !!

the only way to be fair would be to have team based achievments and this leads to an elitist online community and i dont think thats what the developer wants as it will put potential new players off.

This can be a good thing but as is the case in halo it also leads to scum bags cheating or a big fight in the lobby before a match because some people want to get the oddball achievment and other people dont ! , i like that cod side steps that issue by having no online achievments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement