Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first communion - the devil?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

Phototoxin wrote: »
    while I agree about teh black and whiteness of it all... i think the emboldened comments themselves were a little ignorant and close minded tbh
    Also what about atheiests who believe that the davinci code is true?

Eh, that was my point: I was being ignorant & close-minded (like Dave) to prove a point - that we can all sum up things in ignorant ways that make us look stupid.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Phototoxin wrote: »

why not ? alcohol is just another drug, ecstasy is safer than horseriding for goodness sake... its all about moderations (note : i do not condone ecstasy use or any other illegal drug. I dont really condone alcohol either as most people just get skuppered but that's a different story///)

I thought it was fairly clear from my post I was just pointing out the logical conclusion of the templey body argument. My actual world view is similar to yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

seriously, is it just me or is God getting more politically correct. He really moves with times doesnt he. Not so long ago, when I was in school, you were told that if you werent baptised you were "sent to HELL" ...... apparently youre not sent to hell anymore. Dont get me wrong, I believe in God .... just not in the church or their misguided attemps at scaring people into christianity by putting the fear of God into them or scaremongering with the threat of eternal damnation, if you chose to believe then its far better you get into it with a willing heart rather then a reluctant one. A bit off topic I know.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

seriously, is it just me or is God getting more politically correct. He really moves with times doesnt he. Not so long ago, when I was in school, you were told that if you werent baptised you were "sent to HELL" ...... apparently youre not sent to hell anymore. Dont get me wrong, I believe in God .... just not in the church or their misguided attemps at scaring people into christianity by putting the fear of God into them or scaremongering with the threat of eternal damnation, if you chose to believe then its far better you get into it with a willing heart rather then a reluctant one. A bit off topic I know.:rolleyes:

Stuff about Satan and hell is in the Bible, so the Church should teach it. But that doesn't mean the motivation has to be fear. I see the motivation for following Christ to be love, but that doesn't mean wishfully thinking away anything in the Bible that we don't like.

PDN wrote: »
    Stuff about Satan and hell is in the Bible, so the Church should teach it. But that doesn't mean the motivation has to be fear. I see the motivation for following Christ to be love, but that doesn't mean wishfully thinking away anything in the Bible that we don't like.
    too true ..... I just like the way they change the story when its no longer PC to tell children they are going to go to Hell:) Hey if they changed their tune about that, Lord knows what else they have changed. Me I live by the 10 comandments as we were asked and thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Me I live by the 10 comandments as we were asked and thats it.

Cool! We haven't had any regular Jewish posters round these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I thought it was fairly clear from my post I was just pointing out the logical conclusion of the templey body argument. My actual world view is similar to yours.
    ahh :-)

Not so long ago, when I was in school, you were told that if you werent baptised you were "sent to HELL" ...... apparently youre not sent to hell anymore.

depends if you believe in Original Sin as the RCC describes it...
    the word hell doesn't actually appear in the bible as much as you may think. Allusions to it include sheol and a rubbish pit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

So does anyone have an answer to the OPs question? What's the latest on the Devil.

I notice that a lot of the posters here seem to have the ability to conduct complex theological discussions, but can't seem to stick to the original question and answer it in a straightforward way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

dvpower wrote: »
    So does anyone have an answer to the OPs question? What's the latest on the Devil.

I notice that a lot of the posters here seem to have the ability to conduct complex theological discussions, but can't seem to stick to the original question and answer it in a straightforward way.

That is the nature of practically every discussion forum on the internet.

As for the original question, I was under the impression that it had been answered. Not being a Catholic myself I can only posit the idea that the RCC doesn't feel it is appropriate to discuss in detail the notion of the Devil and evil to young children. Though I'm sure this will do nothing to placate those who feel that teaching children about religious beliefs is akin to child abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I finished school in 2005 so I have a recent enough insight into how religion is taught. Basically, religion class=culture class. I imagine OP the reason your Granddaughter was not familiar with the Devil is because she is quite young, and the school perhaps wants to give an objective view on a number of religions before telling the students the "you're going to hell etc etc" aspect of religion.

PDN wrote: »
    Cool! We haven't had any regular Jewish posters round these parts.
    Im not jewish, just doing as God told Mosses.

Advertisement