Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N9 Castledermot to Kilcullen -when will it open?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

unfortunately, castledermot, what you dont see, is one of the great incomes after the big 3(carlow/dublin/waterford) for jj anyway. but the traffic will not in castlederomot. so you'll fly through.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

jiggajt wrote: »
    Does that mean the contractor is getting paid 8% less than what was agreed in the contract?

Yes, everyone who has a public contract has been hit with an 8% reduction in whatever the contract price was and all incentives for early delivery etc. have been withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Yes, everyone who has a public contract has been hit with an 8% reduction in whatever the contract price was and all incentives for early delivery etc. have been withdrawn.

Hang on a sec, are we to believe that Roadbridge, who signed a contract with the Govt in April 2008 - a legal and binding agreement between two parties, that one party can now unilaterlaly revoke said contract without any recourse?

becasue this is what you are advocating. Do you seriously think that any company will now work for the Govt if their contracts are not worth the paper they are written on?

Bards wrote: »
    Hang on a sec, are we to believe that Roadbridge, who signed a contract with the Govt in April 2008 - a legal and binding agreement between two parties, that one party can now unilaterlaly revoke said contract without any recourse?

becasue this is what you are advocating. Do you seriously think that any company will now work for the Govt if their contracts are not worth the paper they are written on?

Yes they can do so (in the small print of such contracts they have both walk away and renegotiate options if circumstances change which they certainly have) and are doing so in respect of contracts over €100,000.

Yes they will work for the Govt. under these new terms. They all have the option to walk away if unhappy with the new terms but none have done so presumably because they have no option i.e. nothing else lined up so better to see it out at reduced rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

all incentives for early delivery etc. have been withdrawn.

So ALL bonuses have been completely removed. I find this unlikely. Have you any information source to back it up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Bull**** on the 8%, the early-completion bonus is gone, this much is true.

jiggajt wrote: »
    So ALL bonuses have been completely removed. I find this unlikely. Have you any information source to back it up?

I went back to the source of my information and have now had it clarified. In my first post on the subject I said "contract terms can and have been changed consistent with the 8% across the board reduction in all Govt. contracts". This was correct but when I replied to a query I subsequently said "everyone who has a public contract has been hit with an 8% reduction in whatever the contract price was and all incentives for early delivery etc. have been withdrawn". My source tells me I got that bit partially wrong in that the across the board 8% reduction in the value of all public contracts specifically excludes construction contracts. All other contracts with Govt. (goods, supplies, services, consultancies etc.) have been hit with the 8% reduction. For road construction the incentives for early delivery etc. have been withdrawn but the penalties for late delivery can still be imposed. This means the M9 north to Kilcullen may not now be finished until Q4 2010 and south to Waterford is sometime in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

I really don't care about contracts. I just want to know how soon before I can say "I will never Knowingly be in Castledermot" again.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Maximus82

Its opening in December this year....18th I think but not certain of the date but its def December.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

This means the M9 north to Kilcullen may not now be finished until Q4 2010 and south to Waterford is sometime in 2011.

All you have to do is check the NRA website to disprove this part of what you said. ALL the major interurban motorways will be complete by Q4 2010. The section from mulinvat to waterford is pretty much complete now but cant be opened until the waterford bypass is finished which is supposedly late this year.

Does your source work directly for one of the contractors? I work with roadbridge on a regular basis and havent heard anything about the scrapping of bonuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Roll on the New Road

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I have to agree with maximus82. There is gonna be a 10k road race in november on the road before they open it so will be dec when traffic takes to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JMcCR

Infra forum is saying Nov now...

They are starting the tie in with the Kilcullen motorway this week or next and its scheduled to take 8 weeks. Can't wait as I'll be driving Carlow to Naas every day (again!)

Some Good pics also posted here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61602364&postcount=493

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

any further updates?

I heard there would be a 10k run or something like that first, between Carlow and Castledermot sections, and then it would open the following week.

I also read that the waterford to Kilkenny section will open in December (kilkennypeople website, ahven't got the link), and the waterford bridge/by-pass before that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

they have the link between the old Southbound M9 and the new M9 almost completed at kilcullen and looks like alot of the road markings are done up as far as the priory when i pass daily so reckon they are on target to open in next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

sk8board wrote: »

I heard there would be a 10k run or something like that first, between Carlow and Castledermot sections, and then it would open the following week.

The 10k run is on Saturday 7th November.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Sweet jebus this is going to be awesome. Two Sundays ago I was driving back up to Dublin and the traffic was built up to the bypass flyover on the Carlow side of Castledermot. Grr.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

best news i.ve ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paulfitzg

According to the AA website the roadworks at Kilcullen are to be in place until January - does that suggest that it will be the new year before the road opens?

Anyone got any reliable info on a proposed opening date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭shaymousse

The road will open in November after the 10k run. Full thred on this in the Infrastructure section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

is it wrong that I'm so excited about a piece of tarmac?

my 100 mile journey will soon be motorway/dual-carriageway all the way

M1, M50, M7, M9.

and all for a €2 toll on the M50; whatever we feel about tolls, thats value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Called the county council this morning. They are saying it'll be open before the end of Q2 2010.

That basically means anytime between now and then. Who knows when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

It's a Motorway, it has nothing to do with the Council, it's the NRA you need to be asking...

Remember the Carlow Bypass was finished for months before it was opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

testicle wrote: »
    It's a Motorway, it has nothing to do with the Council, it's the NRA you need to be asking...

Remember the Carlow Bypass was finished for months before it was opened.

It wasn't really, there was an issue with ducting on one small section which delayed the opening, to onlookers it seemed finished but not so.

Is there anything more depressing than passing Moone and about to come into Castledermort,usually around the Alpine petrol station, first you see the brake lights, then you see the hazards, then complete standstill. grr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Is there anything more depressing than passing Moone and about to come into Castledermort,usually around the Alpine petrol station, first you see the brake lights, then you see the hazards, then complete standstill. grr.
    Turn off at the High Cross Inn and go back over onto the Athy, Carlow road

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

or turn at the high cross and come into town via Oak park, or in by the golf club. There's many many ways around Castledermot.

Ah yes, but I am going to Leighlinbridge, so If I go through Carlow then I miss the oppotunity to put the boot down on the sweetest piece of road this country has seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

ahha

• Advertisement

ShayK1 wrote: »
    ahha

Indeed, I want motorway and lots of it!

Advertisement