Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N9 Castledermot to Kilcullen -when will it open?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Ah but if you turn off at the high cross inn you can still cut across the back roads and come out 100 yards on the carlow side of where you take the roundabout off the bypass to come into castledermot

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

homerhop wrote: »
    Ah but if you turn off at the high cross inn you can still cut across the back roads and come out 100 yards on the carlow side of where you take the roundabout off the bypass to come into castledermot

...hardly the same now as whizzing by at 120 kmh on safe wide motorway.

mfitzy wrote: »
    ...hardly the same now as whizzing by at 120 kmh on safe wide motorway.

Lets see now, I have said you turn off at the High Cross Inn to avoid Castledermot when the traffic is backed up and it can brings you 100 yards from where you have to get onto the motorway when you go through Castledermot.

Lets see now, I have said you turn off at the High Cross Inn to avoid Castledermot when the traffic is backed up and it can brings you 100 yards from where you have to get onto the motorway when you go through Castledermot.

My apologies, I mis read your post...I thought you were talking about after the motorway opens for some reason ;), i'm a bit slow!. That's actually a handy little short cut alright, bit crappy this time of year. Not long to wait now thankfully..

Very handy but keep it a secret ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

I wonder will their be tolls on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 futsal

Dont know about TOLLS but we will be paying for it for the rest of our lives!!!!!:D

SIX PACK wrote: »
    I wonder will their be tolls on it ?

No, no tolls on it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Interesting, I might give it a go next time out. Is it straight forward to get from the High Cross Inn to the exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Interesting, I might give it a go next time out. Is it straight forward to get from the High Cross Inn to the exit?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=N9&daddr=52.917494,-6.904392+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=FVYBKAMdYK6X_w%3B%3BFQ4EJwMdIkeX_w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=13&via=1&sll=52.896891,-6.883106&sspn=0.050224,0.154324&ie=UTF8&ll=52.934362,-6.858902&spn=0.100361,0.308647&z=12

I'd imagine that's the route in question.
    I don't find it logical tbh. You're gambling that the traffic going into C'dermot is moving very very slow. Unless the traffic is backed up as far as the High Cross I'd say you'd be as quick in the queue through C'dermot.

I used to take a similar route but that took me back onto the Carlow - C'dermot road around Toughers and I was going to Carlow.

• Advertisement

Is there anything more depressing than passing Moone and about to come into Castledermort,usually around the Alpine petrol station, first you see the brake lights, then you see the hazards, then complete standstill. grr.

Yup thats the route ShayK1.
    If the traffic is backed up as far as the alpine filling station how long will it take you to get through castledermot out onto the motorway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

ShayK1 wrote: »
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=N9&daddr=52.917494,-6.904392+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=FVYBKAMdYK6X_w%3B%3BFQ4EJwMdIkeX_w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=13&via=1&sll=52.896891,-6.883106&sspn=0.050224,0.154324&ie=UTF8&ll=52.934362,-6.858902&spn=0.100361,0.308647&z=12

I'd imagine that's the route in question.
    I don't find it logical tbh. You're gambling that the traffic going into C'dermot is moving very very slow. Unless the traffic is backed up as far as the High Cross I'd say you'd be as quick in the queue through C'dermot.

I used to take a similar route but that took me back onto the Carlow - C'dermot road around Toughers and I was going to Carlow.

Have to agree with you ShayK, It's a bad enough road and coming into winter it's always greasy and very dark. I have taken it maybe 5-6 times and took a wrong turn on one occasion and ended up near Athy. I have a friend who took it one evening and ended up having a head on collision on it. The guy he hit ended up in a coma for weeks. Ever since that I hav'nt used it.
    If it's just volume in Castledermot causing the problem I reckon it's better to stay put..

kwalshe wrote: »
    Have to agree with you ShayK, It's a bad enough road and coming into winter it's always greasy and very dark. I have taken it maybe 5-6 times and took a wrong turn on one occasion and ended up near Athy. I have a friend who took it one evening and ended up having a head on collision on it. The guy he hit ended up in a coma for weeks. Ever since that I hav'nt used it.
    If it's just volume in Castledermot causing the problem I reckon it's better to stay put..

The same could be said for any back road.
    Twas but a suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

kwalshe wrote: »
    I have a friend who took it one evening and ended up having a head on collision on it. The guy he hit ended up in a coma for weeks. Ever since that I hav'nt used it.

I use this section alot. Part of it has been upgraded to deal with the bridge crossing of the new road. And once you get to the R418 you can just head into castledermott from there as once your in the villiage you have essentially missed the delay. The bad section is around maganey, however after hearing of the above accident i think i'll be alot more careful in future.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=N9&daddr=Unknown+road+to:52.910973,-6.837959+to:N9&hl=en&geocode=Feo4KAMdWOqX_w%3BFUzQJwMd0_qW_w%3B%3BFS0GJwMdY2aX_w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=15&via=1,2&sll=52.914803,-6.840706&sspn=0.01356,0.026479&ie=UTF8&ll=52.918425,-6.869202&spn=0.108472,0.21183&t=h&z=12

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Is there any news yet as to when this new stretch of road will open?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

I heard before xmas anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

It'll be soon enough anyway as they wouldn't have started joining it onto the existing M9 at the Kilcullen turn off otherwise. That's looking fairly neat atm, won't be long till it's done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Wwhen I was passing by yesaterday evening they had alot of road sweeping machines out and going up and down both sides of the motorway section between kilcullen and castledermot which would indicate to me that it will be very soon indeed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

looks like it is getting closer as the barriers northbound at castledermot have now been removed and looks lile only line painting is remaining on the new link section at Kilcullen .. :)

Word around Castledermot is that the official opening day is the 16th of this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Ill be passing down tomorrow, still not open :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

This roard really is like santa coming everyday i drive on it i see it closer to completition and i'm like a kid driving to it thinking is today the day the bollards will be gone but alas i'm faced with disappointment but i know it agonisingly (pretty sure i spelt that wrong) close.

pwease pwase pwease come early this year santa (no mrs clause jokes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭shaymousse

Drove to Dubln today. The traffic has switched back to the north bound lane now as they complete the concrete median. Wont be long now!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

It's great to think that the days of driving through Castledermot are nearly over,and dont get me started about the stupid 80km/hr section from Crookstown to Kilgowan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭partypiper

Anyone do the Carlow to Dublin commute??

I'll be moving there soon driving from Carlow to Clarehall/Darndale/Coolock essentially the end of the M50 northbound.

Any idea on the current time it takes??

and the time after the Kilcullen section opens?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

I used to do the carlow to clondalkin commute, and that was bang on an hour, sometimes i had to be in coolock or ballymun, and depending on the traffic from the greenisle to red cow and then on to m50 it could take an extra half hour to 45 minutes, (sometimes I'd go over through Clondalkin, or Lucan, or by liffey valley, via the Nangor road, but you can get caught there easily too) the sooner the m50 is complete the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭partypiper

when you were you doing that

they made alot of improvements on the red cow with the freeflow lanes and all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

was doing it earlier this year, at peak times it can take an age still just to get to the redcow.. it's just the sheer volumes from newlands cross on, i did it recently with this job and it took the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

partypiper wrote: »
    Anyone do the Carlow to Dublin commute??

I'll be moving there soon driving from Carlow to Clarehall/Darndale/Coolock essentially the end of the M50 northbound.

Any idea on the current time it takes??

and the time after the Kilcullen section opens?

I drive to all parts of the city from Carlow once or twice a week. To Swords takes 1.30 if I leave at 7:00 and If I leave at 4:30 from Swords Labs on the north side of Swords I can be home anytime between 1:30 - 1:45 hrs. But all it takes is some small incident on the way and it gets messy. Newlands Cross is not too bad. The most you will ever spend there is 10 mins max.
    I'm working in Baldoyle later this week and Chivers Jams next week which I think is Coolock so I will give you a better idea . Will let you know my times. I live 10 mins south of Carlow Town aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Doing Carlow Sandyford at the moment. It takes about 75-90 Minutes but the biggest hold up is the m50 for me (tend to dodge the red cow on the way in)

Advertisement