Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long will I be down for?

Options
  • 04-02-2009 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Hey there. Just wondering if anybody can give info on how long I can expect to be offline for if I am moving from the Eircom 7mb package to the 24mb BT one.
    (I WOULD go with Smart, but that is a no-go on the Dun Laoghaire exchange, sadly.)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

When my household moved over to BT in December there was no downtime. We were connected to BT Broadband around the 18th. For the telephone we weren't switched over to BT until the beginning of January.

All I had to do is change the password for the broadband and it worked right away.

Does anyone know if it is normal to be switched over at two different times for Broadband and telephone services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Isaac702 wrote: »
    All I had to do is change the password for the broadband and it worked right away.

That works for bitstream, up to 7Mb, but not for the LLU, which requires them to actually plug out the line in the exchange. I'm not sure what the downtime would be on that. You may have to get your current eircom broadband stopped before the BT order can go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

A troubleshooting page somewhere on http://btireland.custhelp.com seemed to suggest that I could do it the way Isaac702 suggested. However, those pages looked kind of out of date, and might not be set up to deal with the 24mb speed.

I'm fairly sure that once you give BT the magical account number on the Eircom bill, they deal with shutting down the Eircom account though.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

jor el wrote: »
    That works for bitstream, up to 7Mb, but not for the LLU, which requires them to actually plug out the line in the exchange. I'm not sure what the downtime would be on that. You may have to get your current eircom broadband stopped before the BT order can go through.

I'm actually talking about BT LLU package. I'm sure there was some downtime but it wasn't noticeable. It was working on Eircom that morning and that evening when I needed to use it again it was working on BT's LLU system. It was not any lengthy downtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

With Glump (Moving your number and line at the same time) it should be only a few minutes these days...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Isaac702 wrote: »
    I'm actually talking about BT LLU package. I'm sure there was some downtime but it wasn't noticeable. It was working on Eircom that morning and that evening when I needed to use it again it was working on BT's LLU system. It was not any lengthy downtime.

Ah yes, I'm thinking of the good old days when you had to cancel the old broadband yourself, or eircom wouldn't do the line move. Once broadband was off the line, you could only then apply with the new company. Transfer took up to a month.

Nice to see there has actually been some improvement.

Will be switching over once I find an old Eircom bill to get that magical number. Will report back.

If I'm gone for over two days, send a technician!

crawler wrote: »
    With Glump (Moving your number and line at the same time) it should be only a few minutes these days...

Oh, I don't plan on moving the phone provider to BT just yet. Maybe in a while. Just internet, for now.

EDIT: Hold it... is this even possible? Stick with Eircom for the phone, but use BT for the internet?

Gonna have to wait until monday when I can get access to the bill. If only I could rememeber my Eircom login details...

Made the switch on Tuesday. Still on my Eircom line though... Wondering when will BT transfer me over to happy land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

It happened to me move the house and my BT account also. Couldn't imagine it will take 30 days ! to make the move at the same phone exchange area. Still waiting for official explanation from BT
    I thought it's 21 st century around :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

slasher_65 wrote: »
    Hey there. Just wondering if anybody can give info on how long I can expect to be offline for if I am moving from the Eircom 7mb package to the 24mb BT one.
    (I WOULD go with Smart, but that is a no-go on the Dun Laoghaire exchange, sadly.)

Thanks.

Ideally, Eircom guarantees a downtime of no more than 15 minutes plus then whatever it takes for BT systems to activate your username/password. Shouldn't be much more than 20 minutes.

That's if everything goes smoothly...

Well, I have now been waiting... almost a week. Oh well...

I have now been waiting for just under two weeks. This is getting a tad silly.

Anybody have any ideas as to what I might be missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I have now been waiting for just under two weeks. This is getting a tad silly.

Anybody have any ideas as to what I might be missing?

Be patient. LLU transfers can take up to 4 weeks. On Average they take 15-20 days

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

This is getting a tad silly.

:eek:That's more than silly!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jocko4

I've also been down since Mon 2nd at 14:00 & the reported completion date is March 9th. None of this was I told about up front & in fact I get mixed messages from BT themselves that there should be no down-time at all (or very minor). I've checked other forums (UK) and the general view is that more than 30 mins is a cock-up.

I suspect they can't get LLU ADSL2+ working on my line as I was complaining for 2 weeks before this about dropped connections (this coincided with the upgrade work that they did in my exchange in readiness for LLU - so maybe I'm the first upgrade & the guinea pig)

It's only because of the kindness of a neighbour's unsecured WiFi that I'm not pulling my hair out. In the true spirit of philanthropy the neighbour is unknown to me and I'm unknown to the neighbour :D

So Bohrio where do you get your timeframes from?

Right. I have working internet now, after about 4 days of having no connection at all, but at times it goes down to dialup speeds. (Seems to be when I have a torrent running. Throttling?)

And I get lots of dropped connections as well.

Sounds like a faulty line - have you reported to your telco yet (BT?). Mine isn't back yet but this is what I fear will be the case once I get it back as it already had dropped connections prior to upgrade but getting them to agree it was a faulty line was a nightmare.

From what I read on various forums anymore than 30 mins downtime is a cocked up installation/changeover. So I guess this is what you have!

If they agree it is a faulty line do they replace it? How long does THAT take?

• Advertisement

Nope they fix it which might require replacing some part of the line. The irony is that Eircom are supposed to do all this as part of the LLU before handing it over so what have they been doing for the last 4 days - playing with their wire so to speak ha ha!

Well... It didn't work. :p

Do BT throttle bittorrent, by the way?

Have been switching BT on and off all day. If it is on, My speeds go WAY WAY down. Off, back to "normal" (though nowhere NEAR 24mb)

This is kind of annoying, because I download a fair few podcasts through bittorrent, and really wanted to try out that studio version of ubuntu.

This is simply terrible.

Here is a speed test of me connected directly to the router.

425377770.png

I was getting three or four times the speed, both up and down on my 7mb eircom line. And that ping? Terrible.

Now, I am seeding ubunto studio at 5kb/s (turned off downloading). Note the ping NOW!
    WHAT am I doing wrong, if anything?

425380526.png

I had heard that ping rates go up with interleaving (which is LLU) -what modem?

Still waiting for the BT one to arrive, so stuck on my really old Netopia for now.
    I can understand why that modem would not bring me near even 10 mb, but it can easily handle 6.

My Ping on eircom was more like... 120ish

Is your modem ADSL2+ which is needed to avail of the higher speed?

I doubt it. It is the first bb modem Eircom ever started sending out, that hidious black Netopia box. However, i KNOW that it can do 6mb, so I expected to be sitting on those sorts of speeds until the BT router arrived.

Am I wrong in this? Tech issues maybe?

So it looks like i'm all transfered over, with the new router and the likes.

While I now have about 512k up, I'm still on about 5mb down. Lets hope this gets a tad better. Will do another speed test really early tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement

Well I phoned BT on Mon 9th (the final deadline) to ask where my LLU was and the annoying thing is that technical support said "oh that was handed over on Mon 2nd" and customer care said "Oh that was done on Thur 5th".

So I had been without DSL from Mon 2nd & had phoned every day until Thurs when i gave up - strange coincidences.

Now the second thing that annoyed me is that my speed is still 3mB - this was supposed to be a 6mB LLU upgrade. They now tell me the most I can get from my line is 4 mB. Frankly I wouldn't have bothered if they said this up front. Seems very shambolic to me and I haven't given up with them yet

Advertisement