Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more beginners ?'s

Options
  • 04-02-2009 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

I recently decided to take up shooting inspired by my fathers exploits in Canada in the 60's (Grew up playing with wolf and bear skins in the sitting room) and also the good location I live in (Wicklow).

So I came here and read..and eventually bought CZ452 style.

I got my permission from about 6 farmers and used 2 to go with my application.

When I left in my application the 2 local guards were heading out the door so were in a hurry.

The Garda dealing with me got me to sign and said he would fill in the details later and send it off asap.

I sort of mumbled aboout putting down 10,000 rounds on the application form (I didnt actually get to read it in detail) as I may join a local target shooting club.

So the question is If the default number of rounds on my licence is going to be 100 or even 500 and it be changed easily to a higher number?.

I presume I should use some form of eye protection for both hunting and target shooting?.

How about ear protection ? I think my kids would damage my ears more than a .22.

What website can anyone reccomend for getting glasses or ear plugs?.

Nem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nemesis wrote: »
    I recently decided to take up shooting inspired by my fathers exploits in Canada in the 60's (Grew up playing with wolf and bear skins in the sitting room) and also the good location I live in (Wicklow).
    Well done, welcome to the best sport&hobby around :D
    So the question is If the default number of rounds on my licence is going to be 100 or even 500 and it be changed easily to a higher number?.
    Default is 100 (the 500 is for the europass) and it can be changed to a higher number. Whether that change is easy or not depends on your local Superintendent.
    I presume I should use some form of eye protection for both hunting and target shooting?.
    Dunno about hunting, but for target shooting I've only rarely seen people using eye protection for .22 rifle shooting - the targets aren't frangible, they're only paper; the round exits the barrel fairly far from your eyes; and the target is a fair way's away so splashback isn't a major problem.
    That said, buying a new eye is kindof expensive, so if you want to wear eye protection, no intelligent person would laugh at you.
    How about ear protection ? I think my kids would damage my ears more than a .22.
    Depends, do your kids regularly shove objects into your ears? Seriously, even airguns will damage your hearing over time. It's just that the nature of chronic hearing damage means that you don't feel pain as it happens - you just lose your hearing, higher frequencies first.
    I won't shoot without ear protection. Not air pistol, not air rifle, not .22, nothing. I won't even watch without cans if it's cartridge rifle/pistol/shotgun (and I prefer to wear them with airguns if I can).
    Your milage may vary, but I like Bach.
    What website can anyone reccomend for getting glasses or ear plugs?.
    For a .22, the yellow foam earplugs are generally fine. Any chemist will have them, as well as any firearms dealer.
    Eye protection, well I got some for the archery (one too many horror stories of folks pulling arrows and managing to poke themselves with the nock in the process) from ebay, and they meet the relevant standards and cost me about €60 at the time.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Sparks wrote: »
    Default is 100 (the 500 is for the europass)

I know I've heard that number for the Europass, but I've never seen it written down anywhere, least of all on my Europass. Do you have a reference for it?

Hm. It's virtually become part of accepted lore at this stage; I don't remember digging into it before.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Sparks wrote: »
    Hm. It's virtually become part of accepted lore at this stage; I don't remember digging into it before.

That's the thing that's been niggling at me for a while. I think it's just lore and doesn't have any basis.

I had a good look at the various bits of law around the European Firearms Pass a while back and don't remember anything about ammunition limits.

I must find my old DURC europass (the first one I had) and check it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭BountyHunter

Hi lads,

I picked up mine last Friday and the ammunition limits were just copied over from my current licences eg. I have 100 on my sporting rifle licence so he just put 100 on my europass, don't remember anything being mentioned about a 500 minimum though.

BountyHunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LOUTHSHOOTER

IRLConor wrote: »
    I know I've heard that number for the Europass, but I've never seen it written down anywhere, least of all on my Europass. Do you have a reference for it?
    How do u go about getting a Europass

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭.50 (MOA)

You just need to apply for the european pass in the station. Its done at a local level so doesn't take much time to get it. You will need two passport photographs, and you will have to sign a form.

I tried to get an an ammunition limit increase on my shotgun licence and was told by the firearms officer that the european pass could have a higher limit and was easier to get than change the limit on the licence.
    I had been thinking 1000 but he only put 200 on it (i could see the computer screen he was typing onto) so i asked if he could go higher, only went up to 300, and I didn't try to push it, he kinda sounded as if 300 might even be rejected.

Were the new three year licences that were supposed to be coming out not a standard limit of 500? think I read this somewhere on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Nemesis wrote: »

Nem.

Get a moderator for the 22 you don't need hearing protection then. BUT you will need premission for the mod from your Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

My Europass just has my ammo limits copied over from my licence. Granted that is 500, but I definitely get the impression the Europass gives you no extra authority to possess more ammunition than your licence states already, and I really, really wouldn't chance it. Can't wait for the day we no longer need temporary permits and the like though. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement