Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public open wifi source, how to route?

Options
  • 04-02-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I live right next door to a hotel that has free wifi, I often go into there for lunch during the day and drinks at the bar some evenings. When I'm in there I usually connect to the open wifi network on my phone and browse the web. The network shows up as unsecured and the manager there told me it is free for anyone to use. Now as I said, I live right next door to this hotel, I've found out that I can get a decent signal from corner of a room in my house. Problem is that room is a small crapped utility room, I squash myself in there to check mail and do some light browsing. My question is if I wanted to somehow route this open wifi signal to other rooms in my house wirelessly, how would I go about this? If anyone has any ideas any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

jamesjoyce wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I live right next door to a hotel that has free wifi, I often go into there for lunch during the day and drinks at the bar some evenings. When I'm in there I usually connect to the open wifi network on my phone and browse the web. The network shows up as unsecured and the manager there told me it is free for anyone to use. Now as I said, I live right next door to this hotel, I've found out that I can get a decent signal from corner of a room in my house. Problem is that room is a small crapped utility room, I squash myself in there to check mail and do some light browsing. My question is if I wanted to somehow route this open wifi signal to other rooms in my house wirelessly, how would I go about this? If anyone has any ideas any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris

One option, get a router that supports client bridge mode, so that it can connect to the wifi network itself, and then you can run cable or connect wirelessly to your own router in turn. There's bound to be more ways, that's just the one I know from personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jamesjoyce

Thanks for that spear might investigate that method further. :) Just wondering if I bought this repeater would I be extend the unsecured network through my house
    http://reviews.cnet.com/wireless-access-points/buffalo-airstation-wla2-g54c/4505-3265_7-31230254.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

While the hotel may provide an open network I would presume that they intend it to be for customers only. I doubt very much if they intend it for neighbours. ( I know that they should have it secured and only give access to guests! if that is their intention).

And I think that it is a reasonable assumption that they never envisaged people locally routing it around the house.

Apart from the rights and wrongs of using such a network I wonder are you leaving yourself open to security threats to your machine from using it on such a network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Someon suggested this to me a few weeks ago and I got it, im now picking up free connections from miles away...

http://www.ubnt.com/products/loco.php

I pick up a company thats around a kilometre away, got the key from a mate who works there.

Advertisement