Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Digital Photo Frame (For A Geek)

Options
  • 04-02-2009 5:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a Philips frame without doing enough research - never had one before, thought they'd all be much of a muchness - but it's far too finicky and basic for a geek. I mean seriously, you have to either leave expensive storage media in the frame all the time, popping it in or out every time you want to add or remove a photo, or you have to copy photos to the frame one at a time. Even then you can only add a limited, unspecified number.

Anyway, enough with the ranting. At at an absolute minimum I need something with an interface that doesn't suck the sweat off a dead man's balls, preferably with touchscreen UI. (Having the buttons on the back is sheer idiocy.) Onboard storage a must, and WiFi would be nice, but failing that direct USB connection to my comp.

Anything out there with a spec like that, or close to that? Anyone really pleased with theirs? What are the good brands?

Thanks,
    adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

I was shopping for one before christmas but I was buying for a non-techie so went for a basic model.

However I remember seeing frames with touch-screen controls and also philips had a wireless one - http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/ie/consumer/cc/_productid_8FF3WMI_05_IE_CONSUMER/PhotoFrame+8FF3WMI-05

SD cards are quite cheap though with Peats selling 2GB ones for €10
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=20082&sid=14&cid=130&scid=608

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I got a Kodak EasyShare wifi frame, it's really good. You can configure it with RSS settings - so, for example, it'll display your and your friends KodakGallary and Facebook settings, and you can also configure it with newsfeeds, even feeds from boards! (which actually is pretty crap, as it's only the first ten words of new posts). You can also use cards in the frame, or use the frames internal memory. A neat feature is that you can upload photos to the frame using the interface on your pc - you don't need a direct usb connection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks very much tbh, that sounds good. A bizarre query probably, but does it restart automatically if you pull the plug on it, or do you have to power it on? I have all my peripherals plugged into an extension lead that powers everything off automatically when I shut my computer down, so I'm wondering if it'll come back up automatically if it's powered off by that.

EDIT: What model do you have btw?

adam

hey hamsta - I'll check for you this evening. I'm guessing it does come back on, as another neat little feature that you wouldn't think would be as good as it is - you can configure the frame to come automatically and switch off automatically at certain times. I'll check the specifics and get back to you.

Appreciate it tbh, thank you.

• Advertisement

Hey Hamsta - when I powered it off, it didn't come back on. The timer for it is set to come on from 5pm to 10pm and I did the poweroff outside that time, I'll try it later and see if it works differently during the timer period. It's a Kodak Easyshare frame W2010

Review here

Thanks very much tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sp1derman78

Unless there is a newer model I don't know about its a W1020 you want. I've purchased one for my folks as a surprise for when my first baby is born in April.

Its the Wifi features already mentioned above but you cannot email the frame directly(ie it doesn't have its own email address). You set up a Kodak Gallery Account and associate it with the Frame.

So in my situation I've set up an account for my folks..... associated it to the frame. Then set up another account for our baby. I've added each other to both accounts as 'friends' to share photos albums. If I load up pictures to our baby's account and 'share' that will be displayed on the Kodak w1020 photo frame.... a little tune will play as the message is displayed on screen that I've shared new photos. My folks can then press the frame beneath the message and a slide show will start.

You can schedule the frame to turn ON and OFF at a particular time. When it does come on it continues with slideshow.

By the way if you using all the RSS features and WIFI etc you don't need to install all the Kodak software on your PC (no mac version) just find the IP address you frame is using on your network and type it into your browser there you can see the settings you need. The only reason you need the software installed is if your moving photos directly from your PC to the frame.

Here are some links to youtube videos about it.
    First is a Kodak one and the second one is a real persons experience(although its 8inch version)...this helped me to choose the w1020 as I wanted the wireless feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FqQw4hekXE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcwCihwE1eA

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cenahs

Hi, first time poster - been browsing for a while.

what's the viewing angle on that Kodak photo frame? My parents got the Kodak EX-1011 WiFi 10" (25.4 cm) Digital Photo Frame and the viewing angle on that is rubbish. It blacks out if you're slightly off horizontally or vertically.

I was looking at that Philips one - looks quite good, and it has DLNA support. Was in the Sony shop today and they say they've a new one coming shortly with wifi support.

I want one with a good viewing angle and it has to have wifi support.

Advertisement