Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many times would you watch the same movie?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Ones I've watched the most
    Bladerunner ,Jacobs ladder ,The shining ,Withnail & I,trainspotting ,easy rider ,full metal jacket,dead mans shoes.

find it hard to watch blockbusters a second time ,films that use big bangs are usually crap the second time. With exception of a few classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I've seen Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas probably about 50 times. I love that film.
    watched that about 20 times at least. Class film.
    Watched fight club hmm must be about 40 or 50 times easily.
    Shawshank redemption is probably me most watched film. Easily 60 times probably more like 80+. Just love that movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Vamoose Killers

Bizarre that someone would watch The Dark Knight that many times. It's not as if there's some hidden message or deep meaning in that film that you need to watch it over and over again. I'd understand numerous viewings of Mulholland Drive/Inland Empire/Magnolia/etc, but for TDK it's just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

yoshytoshy wrote: »

find it hard to watch blockbusters a second time ,films that use big bangs are usually crap the second time. With exception of a few classics.

+ 1

thats why im waiting on rewatching black night because if i get boared i minimise movies and just browse the web while it plays in a small window

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I don't think there has to be any hidden messages or deep meaning behind some films for people to enjoy rewatching them over and over. If you've enjoyed a film a lot, whether it's a no-brainer popcorn movie or not, you'll enjoy rewatching it a lot.

For my own fave films I would probably number the repeat viewings at anything from 5 - 50. There's a mix of what would be perceived as thoughtprovoking and deep, some complete no-brainer actioners that I find visually arresting, and some comedies that crack me up no matter how often I see them.

I'll also watch a good few films for nostalgia's sake whenever they're on TV - the films I loved as a kid, the likes of the Indiana Jones trilogy, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, anything with Steve Martin/Chevy Chase/Dan Ackroyd in it, Star Wars, etc etc.

When I was a teen I used to babysit once a week for a family that only had RTE1 and 2, back when TV scheduling used to end at around 11.30pm or so. They had only 1 video in their collection, so I ended up watching their copy of "Die Hard" once a week once TV programming had finished up for the night, every week for about 4 years. :eek: That's what, over 200 viewings! And what's worse, if Die Hard happens to be on TV, I'll still leave it on in the background and read or surf the net while it's on. I look on films as similar to music - if you love a certain band, you'll stick them on in the background while you're pottering about; it's the same with films for me.

In my defense though, I did study film and broadcasting at college many moons ago, so I tend to rewatch films a few times to analyse everything, and often rewatch films just to look at factors like editing or shot setups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Bizarre that someone would watch The Dark Knight that many times. It's not as if there's some hidden message or deep meaning in that film that you need to watch it over and over again. I'd understand numerous viewings of Mulholland Drive/Inland Empire/Magnolia/etc, but for TDK it's just silly.

Read up about Game Theory and its relation to the The Dark Knight as its riddled with nods to some of the fundamentals of it. The Joker seems to be a keen advocate of game theory and its general conclusions, although he miscalculated a variable at the end which is why he failed.

Batman tries to explain it off as the fact that the people where necessarily good, but the real reason is that the joker introduced too many variables into the game. In most instances survival tends to trump morality when given a situation where only those two options are available.

Knowing this and the Jokers use of game theory made watching it a lot more interesting the second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Typically once, then wait 3/4 years, until I've forgotten most of it, then watch again.

Exceptions are films I love, or ones with great soundtracks, which I find makes an alright movie a lot more watchable.

User45701 wrote: »
    Fair play on the giving things a 2nd watch, i watch allot of B-movies which tbh can be hard to give a 2nd watch if you didnt enjoy them the first time

I would be the same as you on serenity, the main reason i bought a HD DVD player was because they where being recalled and i wanted to have that movie in HD, ive lost count the amount of times.

But Dark Night? Watched it once and well i was bored at parts, ive never been a big batman fan, Great acting and all but the movie just didnt hold my interest i was all for getting home and watching the new house when we where in the cinema.
    But i do plan to give it another watch ive heard its worth one even if its just for the sfx on bluray.

I too watch a lot of B movies and find that certain films may be dreadful on first viewing but slapped on on a Sunday afternoon and they can be great fun second time round.

The Dark Knight on Blu Ray is amazing to look at, especially the scenes shot on the IMax cameras. I find myself pausing the film over and over again in order to take in all the detail.

Was going to point out the game theoy aspect but L31mr0d beat me to it. You don't have to watch a film a second time in search of a deeper meaning nor should you. If you enjoy a film and enjoy rewatching it what's the harm?

Take a film such the Punisher or Taken, two films that I really enjoy and have seen a number of times at this stage. I rewatch them because I enjoy the experience, I'm not searching for deeper meaning or subtle messages just 90 odd minutes of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I've lost count of the amount of times I've watched Rambo (IV).

But to put things in perspective, I've watched it three times in 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Well, I am repeatedly getting back to interesting films - Pulp Fiction, Dead Man's Shoes, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Apocalypse Now (redux), The Doors, 12 Monkeys (I didn't get it at the first time), Fight Club (the same reason), Life of Brian, Save the Green Planet,...
    - I have just realised that I am a pretty depressive person :eek:

• Advertisement

Well if I like the movie enough, it goes on what I like to call my "Desert Island DVD" list. Obviously they're movies I'm happy to watch time and time again and not get bored - in fact, if I'm browsing over DVD's looking for one to watch, I'll often find my hand straying to them over movies that I haven't watched as often.

They don't have to be "Citizen Kane" quality, I just love them. Millions probably wouldn't.

A quick list off the top of my head:

1. Conan the Barbarian
    2. Batman Begins
    3. V for Vendetta
    4. Master and Commander
    5. Revenge of the Sith
    But hey, that's just me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Have seen Commando at least twenty times.Including sober,drunk and playing the commando drinking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Believe it or not back in the day of VHS i watched Waynes World 1 so many times i knew the entire script for each character verbatim. I then started to watch it with the sound off a do the talking myself. I won a lot of money doing that :D ....i know i know i'm a sad fcuker but i lived in the middle of nowhere and really had nothing else to do back then.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd very rarely watch a film more than once. There are just so many other films to watch I feel like I'm wasting precious time watching something I've already seen.

Have seen Commando at least twenty times.Including sober,drunk and playing the commando drinking game.

See, that's fair enough. The film has been around for years so I can understand someone watching it so many times. But it's pathetic for someone to have watched the same film in a cinema 37 times.

Also, some of the choices here are astonishing. John Rambo??

See, that's fair enough. The film has been around for years so I can understand someone watching it so many times. But it's pathetic for someone to have watched the same film in a cinema 37 times.

Also, some of the choices here are astonishing. John Rambo??

How is it pathetic? Generally when I go to the cinema I will watch 2 films, the fact that I chose to watch the same film repeatedly because I really enjoyed it is'nt that big a deal. Would itg have been more acceptable if I had used that money to go out and get off my tits drunk?

Also I think you'll find that a lot of people have seen Rambo dozens of times. You see all a film has to do is entertain the viewer and one which do so successfully can be watched over and over again with the enjoyment factor never lessened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Do you have a cineworld (or similar) card at least? I think it'd be a bit mental to spend over 300 euro going to the same movie. Also out of interest, how many days would these 37 viewings have been spread over?

What was it like on the 28th viewing?

Not sure why you've brought drinking and clubbing into this, a little bit odd that. Ever think of checking out some of the other releases in the cinema? Seeing one film 37 times doesn't leave you with much time for the other ones out there. And I'm afraid to ask you how many times it's been viewed on dvd.

John Rambo was one of the worst cinematic experiences I had last year. I was surprised I lasted the one time.

Pigman II wrote: »
    Do you have a cineworld (or similar) card at least? I think it'd be a bit mental to spend over 300 euro going to the same movie. Also out of interest, how many days would these 37 viewings have been spread over?

I don't unfortunatly. I generallt=y go to the cinema 3 times a week and will usually watch 2-3 films each time, depending on the mood.
    What was it like on the 28th viewing?

Not sure why you've brought drinking and clubbing into this, a little bit odd that. Ever think of checking out some of the other releases in the cinema? Seeing one film 37 times doesn't leave you with much time for the other ones out there. And I'm afraid to ask you how many times it's been viewed on dvd.

John Rambo was one of the worst cinematic experiences I had last year. I was surprised I lasted the one time.

It was as much fun on the 27th viewing as it was on the 2nd or 9th. The reason I brought drinking into it was that some of us don't see the point of going out and gettign wasted every night we go out and the cinema can be the only other option outside of the big cities. Also I'm fairly certain that I see more films in the cinema and on DVD than most.

And as far as Rambo goes, well you're just wrong. It was 90 mintues which delivered exactly what it promised. Oodles of mindless violence and fun.

My opinion is wrong? Haha, good one. I'm glad you used the word 'mindless' when discussing the turd of a film John Rambo. I can think of numerous terms for that movie but I won't even go there.

I'm still lost as to why you're still yapping about drinking. And I'd be pretty certain you're the only person to have watched TDK 37 times. You rawk!

• Advertisement

I thought was Rambo was enjoyable and a throw back to eighties action mayhem.Plus it did some good in highlighting the situation in Burma and in particular the suffering of the Karen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd be pretty certain you're the only person to have watched TDK 37 times. You rawk!

Nah I'd say there's someone who can beat it. I've read of people going to stuff like LOTR, Star Wars or even Titanic hundreds of times whilst still on the initial run in theatres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Nah I'd say there's someone who can beat it. I've read of people going to stuff like LOTR, Star Wars or even Titanic hundreds of times whilst still on the initial run in theatres.

Losers

I can understand how someone might see Commando or Die Hard 20 or 30 times over 20 years they have been released.

But going to see a film 37 times while its still in its inital run. Thats just pathetic.

Titanic wow thats something else.All three hours plus of it.

Even though Titanic is a poor film it's streets ahead of Rambo. Still no excuse though.

Rambo 1 hr:25 mins Titanic 3hrs:14 mins. Rambo for me but each to their own.

My opinion is wrong? Haha, good one. I'm glad you used the word 'mindless' when discussing the turd of a film John Rambo. I can think of numerous terms for that movie but I won't even go there.

I'm still lost as to why you're still yapping about drinking. And I'd be pretty certain you're the only person to have watched TDK 37 times. You rawk!

In my home town where I lived up until recently my options for a night or evening out were the pub followed by a club or the cinema. I'm fairly certian millions others have seen the Dark Knight far more times than me, I read a forun where one guy saw it twice a day for its entire run. I would continue this arguement but this is the third time I've explained why I mentioned drinking and you still seem to be missing the point.
    Titanic wow thats something else.All three hours plus of it.

Once was enough for me. I bought the DVD a few years back and ended up just skipping to the fx scenes.

Millions :D

No problem with going to the cinema so often. Problem with going to the same film so often. Thought that was pretty obvious.

And you can hardly comment on Titanic if you haven't seen the entire film.

Millions :D

No problem with going to the cinema so often. Problem with going to the same film so often. Thought that was pretty obvious.

And you can hardly comment on Titanic if you haven't seen the entire film.

Like I said on this board before I'm a film studnet and have worked for some studios as a writer script doctoring various projects aswell as writing a script which is currently in preproduction with the sci fi channel expressing interest in buying the rbroadcast rights. For me watching a film which I find perfect is not only for pleasure but also research.

I have seen all of Titanic, subsequent viewings have involved skipping about 2 hours of it and going striaght for the money shots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Like I said on this board before I'm a film studnet

Dress it up all you want but watching a film 37 times in its first run still makes you a loser.... Thats is unless you happen to work as a projectionist. Even then I doubt they could sit thru the same movie 37 times in such a short space of time.

Advertisement