Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many times would you watch the same movie?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Vamoose Killers

So when you saw it for the 37th time was this for pleasure or research? If it was the latter, what did you see that was new to you?

I'm still laughing at the idea of spending roughly 300 euro on this film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

aswell as writing a script which is currently in preproduction with the sci fi channel expressing interest in buying the rbroadcast rights.

This project woudnt happen to be a word for word remake of TDK would it ?

starn wrote: »
    Dress it up all you want but watching a film 37 times in its first run still makes you a loser.... Thats is unless you happen to work as a projectionist. Even then I doubt they could sit thru the same movie 37 times in such a short space of time.

Worked in a cinema for awhile and would routinely watch the same film a few times a week.The Dark Knight played in my local cinema for over 10 weeks. 37 viewings over that time period is not that impressive tbh.
    So when you saw it for the 37th time was this for pleasure or research? If it was the latter, what did you see that was new to you?

I'm still laughing at the idea of spending roughly 300 euro on this film.

Where did I say that I paid to see it 37 times, you seem to be unable to understand what I type. When I go to the cinema I usually go see at least 2 films, I only pay for one of these. Being a film buff I go see as many films as I can, in fact looking at this weeks schedule in the Eye cinema in Galway there are only 3 films I have not seen.
    This project woudnt happen to be a word for word remake of TDK would it ?

Nope, it's a creature feature for which the script was writen nearly 2 years ago. Currently working on a sequel to it as well as rewriting a script for a small horror film that a company plans as the next Saw. It's actually quite a neat idea that they have.

If it was the latter, what did you see that was new to you?

So what did you see ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I've watched loads and loads of movies repeatedly. Like someone else said, it's a bit like listening to your favourite band. I sometimes just have movies on in the background while on the net or cooking dinner.

The ones I've seen the most would probably be Singing In The Rain (and other musicals suchs as Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music), Star Wars, Fight Club, Back to the Future (into triple figures with that one probably), Gone with the Wind (although not the full thing every time), Jurassic Park, The Wedding Singer, Titanic and quite a few more I'm sure.

I don't mind watching any old episode of Friends or Will & Grace, still make me laugh so why shouldn't I watch them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Worked in a cinema for awhile and would routinely watch the same film a few times a week.The Dark Knight played in my local cinema for over 10 weeks. 37 viewings over that time period is not that impressive tbh.

Where did I say that I paid to see it 37 times, you seem to be unable to understand what I type. When I go to the cinema I usually go see at least 2 films, I only pay for one of these. Being a film buff I go see as many films as I can, in fact looking at this weeks schedule in the Eye cinema in Galway there are only 3 films I have not seen.

Nope, it's a creature feature for which the script was writen nearly 2 years ago. Currently working on a sequel to it as well as rewriting a script for a small horror film that a company plans as the next Saw. It's actually quite a neat idea that they have.

So you call yourself a film buff and you intend to work in the area (I presume based on your coillege course)

And yet you sneak into films in the cinema therefore taking money from the sector you claim to love

A little ironic that you want a job in the film industry but are still prepared to fu(k the same industry in the ass

muletide wrote: »
    So you call yourself a film buff and you intend to work in the area (I presume based on your coillege course)

And yet you sneak into films in the cinema therefore taking money from the sector you claim to love

A little ironic that you want a job in the film industry but are still prepared to fu(k the same industry in the ass

Technically I do work in the industry, I may be a lowly script writer but still it counts. On average I spend 30 euro a week in the cinema, given that as a student I survive of a 100 euros a week that 30 is a substantial amount of my weekly allowance so to speak. I average upwards of 200 trips to the cinema a year and pay 7-9 euro every time so I don't feel bad about seeing more than one film when I go. I also have a substantial DVD collection all of which are originals that I paid for. It would be different if I was watching all my films on my computer after I downloaded them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lorcan69

if you do love the industry as you have claimed why do you go see more than one film without paying?? your basically robbing yourself.
    I don't care what anyone say's, if a movie is good you pay for it simple as. in regards to the fact that you live on 100 euro a week, thats a lot of money compared to the 75 i had a week and i was a regular at the cinema and had long bus journeys.

lorcan69 wrote: »
    if you do love the industry as you have claimed why do you go see more than one film without paying?? your basically robbing yourself.
    I don't care what anyone say's, if a movie is good you pay for it simple as. in regards to the fact that you live on 100 euro a week, thats a lot of money compared to the 75 i had a week and i was a regular at the cinema and had long bus journeys.

If you read my post you would see that I say how I average about 30 euro a week at the cinema. I go about five times a week and on some of those ocassions my Gf is with me and seeing as she's not a student I often end up paying for her also which is an additional 9 euro. Over the past weekend I made 3 trips to the cinema and seeing as they don't accept student cards on weekend it cost me 27 euro. What a lot of people seem to be missing is that paying for one screenign and seeing more was common practice for years in cinemas across the world. i do believe that this was changed when Star Wars was on release.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I only watch films I really like twice but the exception is Lost in Translation, 8 times since 2006 and counting.

• Advertisement

What a lot of people seem to be missing is that paying for one screenign and seeing more was common practice for years in cinemas across the world. i do believe that this was changed when Star Wars was on release.

I dont think so. I never heard of it before. One ticket one film. Even when I was a kid I remember ussers standing gaurd on the other screens.

Oh and can you please answer the question I asked you earlier.
    What new insight did you gain on your 37th viewing of The Dark Knight ?

Cheers

Valmont wrote: »
    I only watch films I really like twice but the exception is Lost in Translation, 8 times since 2006 and counting.

I dont think dramas hold up as well to rewatching as a comdey. I think once you know how the story is resolved, the film looses a lot of its appeal.

I dont think so. I never heard of it before. One ticket one film. Even when I was a kid I remember ussers standing gaurd on the other screens.

Oh and can you please answer the question I asked you earlier.
    What new insight did you gain on your 37th viewing of The Dark Knight ?

Cheers

Well my lecturer was telling us today how in her day you could go see a film and wait there all day. If it was such a big deal then why do cinemas not stop it, not once have I ever been stopped going from one screen to another and I've seen dozens of people doing it.

What new insight did I gain, well I did'nt watch it to gain new insight each time. I watched it for the simple reason that I enjoyed it. I'm about to sit down and watch Aliens in a bit. Now having seen it at about 60 times in the past 5 years should I be searching for something I missed before or simply just sit back, put my feet up and enjoy the film with a cup of tea and some biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Some films Ive seen too many times to mention:
    Jurassic Park
    Gladiator
    American Psycho
    Commando
    Showdown In Little Tokyo
    The Wicker Man remake (dont judge me until you've watched it with friends and cans!)

Galvasean wrote: »
    Some films Ive seen too many times to mention:
    Jurassic Park
    Gladiator
    American Psycho
    Commando
    Showdown In Little Tokyo
    The Wicker Man remake (dont judge me until you've watched it with friends and cans!)

I too have watched each of those films far too many times ot keep track of. Think I watched The Wicker Man remake every weekend for nearly a year, was my drunk film of choice and I enjoyed making peopel watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Guess I've seen Die Hard well into the double figures by now. Only once on DVD, for the commentary, the rest of the time on the regular tv schedules: if I flick and happen to catch it, I can't look away. Never once since seeing it for the first time have I actively set out to watch it.

Truly great action film though.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

I've watched Bound about 10 times. Anyone who's seen it will know why :p
    The Big Lebowski x ~5
    A Clockwork Orange x ~5
    Donnie Darko x ~4
    Napoleon Dynamite x 4
    The Dark Knight x 3
    The Host x 2
    The Mist x 2.....

Very few make it on to my repeat list, but I'm sure theres more

Advertisement