Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of NBB??

• 04-02-2009 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

All, log on to www.nbb.ie thats the official website for National Broadband.. This is the message you get

This web site is undergoing routine maintenance at the moment.We are sorry for any inconvenience.

Please forward your queries to admin@nbb.ie

This is the beginning of the end for these cowboys, I suggest you get out now!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

boggerboy wrote: »
    All, log on to www.nbb.ie thats the official website for National Broadband.. This is the message you get

This web site is undergoing routine maintenance at the moment.We are sorry for any inconvenience.

Please forward your queries to admin@nbb.ie

This is the beginning of the end for these cowboys, I suggest you get out now!

Whats the story with these guys anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Routine maintenance is a common occurrence for websites. Hardly means they're going out of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Jumping to conclusions much????

Boards.ie often needs maintenance, but its still going strong and people don't immediately jump to the conclusion they are shutting down.
    I suggest that you get some proof before trying to take a dig at a company this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭48nico

Still no sign of nbb website coming back online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭boggerboy

Jumping to conclusions much????

Boards.ie often needs maintenance, but its still going strong and people don't immediately jump to the conclusion they are shutting down.
    I suggest that you get some proof before trying to take a dig at a company this way.

smellslikeshoes,
    Basically these guys' existence depended on getting a slice of the National Broadband Scheme pie, take a look back through the various threads re this, especially their failed legal action against the government. Anyhoo, 3 have been awarded the tender and are going to " roll out" their version of broadband to the places that can't get traditional broadband, which is NBB's target market. I'm sure more tuned in individuals such as Watty could explain it better, but NBB were never a solid outfit to begin with...
    Regards to actual proof, I doubt that they would show us their balance sheet or even their sales for the last year, not even taking the current economic climes into consideration...

• Advertisement

Speculation Speculation Speculation. ^^^^

What you are saying now is basically bordering on libelous. Unless you have proof of this I suggest you give it a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sheer speculation.

You can ring, email, fax or write to them
    National Broadband Limited (the "Company") is a limited liability company incorporated in Ireland.
    Head Office location and contact details:
    Main Street, Clane, Co. Kildare, Ireland.
    Telephone: 045/98 21 30 Fax: 01/686 54 18 eMail: admin@nbb.ie
    International Tel: +353 45 98 21 30 International Fax Nr: +353 16 86 54 18
    From their website via Google's cache.

Astra is not going bust. NBB is local agent/installer for the Astra2Connect service, which is a neat VSAT. The only reservations I ever had was dish size south west of Sligo/Waterford town/city line, lack of ability to upgrade to a higher speed as the transmitter (ODU) is about 1/8th power of professional VSAT systems and finally the VOIP claims given minimum 790ms latency.

I think you would have heard posts hear lately if the Astra2Connect was down (The real ISP behind it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SereneWanderer

Hi, I am new to this forum. Is it ok to raise a question re: NBB terms and conditions in this thread?

We have subcribed to NBB (as there is no option in our place in West Cork). The 2 Mbit/s product is ok in general, but as we consume quite a bit (7 or 8 Gig p. month can happen) they cut our speed down dramatically. So many days we are down to 2 or 3 or 7 KB/s, which is less than the rotten old Eircom analog modem line.

NBB´s terms and conditions - (as they were online in August 2008 when we subscribed) never stated this radical option. The description of the so called Fair Usage Policy was absolutely vague (and now the website as well as terms & conditions have been offline for nearly 2 weeks.) not telling us any details nor about any ratio of reduction.

NBB never gave us a tool to measure and manage usage. Only recently (end of January) they started giving us usage data to let us know were we stand.

I intend to start legal proceedings re: breach of contract to force NBB zu re- establish full speed or at least reasonable good speed you could call BROADband once you already got very low expectations.

Any advice, any experience made with the same problem? Thanks!

I think that you had to ring or email to find out the FUP. Astra2Connect's FUP would apply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hi, I am new to this forum. Is it ok to raise a question re: NBB terms and conditions in this thread?

I answered this in the last week ...somwhere.

Read this thread here please

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58579070

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

As for the website. That's probably a standard fallback, if the database or something underlying fails. Maintainance could also just have gone plain wrong.

If it's been like that for a while, they might just not have noticed. Maybe you'll mail them as advised or call them up and ask them :)

/M

Thanks for replies. I had informed NBB about website being offline. After more than two weeks it still is.

My question however was: Can a Broadband provider reduce speed to almost zero as long as the terms and conditions (Fair Usage Policy) do not say so and are more than vague / unprecise.

Thanks, Markus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

My NBB connection is not working today - is anyone esle on NBB OK ?/

Just five minutes ago I was reconnected. NBB says there is "a problem with Astra".

Snap - I turned around and the orange light was gone off .
    Are you still getting slow speeds? I'm not happy with NBB really - like you said the fair usage policy was so vague it was meaningless. We often hit 2Gb a month (3 teenagers in the house) and speeds are really slow - especially on Sundays and between 4pm and about 10pm.
    Did you ever get anything about the promised phone service from NBB?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭48nico

Ogham wrote: »
    Snap - I turned around and the orange light was gone off .
    Are you still getting slow speeds? I'm not happy with NBB really - like you said the fair usage policy was so vague it was meaningless. We often hit 2Gb a month (3 teenagers in the house) and speeds are really slow - especially on Sundays and between 4pm and about 10pm.
    Did you ever get anything about the promised phone service from NBB?
    Regarding the phone servive i heard last friday it should be a week or two their getting phone numbers from eircom

48nico wrote: »
    Regarding the phone servive i heard last friday it should be a week or two their getting phone numbers from eircom

48nico
    did you get anything in writing?
    to the original people who responded thinking that my thread was just slander, that was not the point of the thread, the point is to let their current/prospective customers know the situation
    Since my original post I have heard that they have let all but 2 of their staff go and they are only being kept on for a few weeks..
    i'm not being bad, just trying to be informative

48nico
    did you get anything in writing?
    to the original people who responded thinking that my thread was just slander, that was not the point of the thread, the point is to let their current/prospective customers know the situation
    Since my original post I have heard that they have let all but 2 of their staff go and they are only being kept on for a few weeks..
    i'm not being bad, just trying to be informative

I think think you realise peoples objections to the original post or any of your posts for that matter. You are speculating and spreading rumors.

I think think you realise peoples objections to the original post or any of your posts for that matter. You are speculating and spreading rumors.

smellslikeshoes, i am not speculating or spreading rumours. I never retorted to your original post of "pure speculation" but i don't see why you have to jump on everything i have to say about this matter - do you know for a fact, that what i am saying is untrue?
    also, not sure what this means " think think you realise peoples objections to the original post or any of your posts for that matter" ??

and what have my other posts got to do with this topic? have you taken a dislike to me?

• Advertisement

However... NBB has to go down, down, down. They do deceive their customers in many diffferent ways. I did now start war with them ,although i know, they will be out of....

However... NBB has to go down, down, down. They do deceive their customers in many diffferent ways. I did now start war with them ,although i know, they will be out of....

What are you on about??

Marlow wrote: »
    As for the website. That's probably a standard fallback, if the database or something underlying fails. Maintainance could also just have gone plain wrong.

If it's been like that for a while, they might just not have noticed. Maybe you'll mail them as advised or call them up and ask them :)

/M

March 14. NBB Website still off-line. Still undergoing "routine maintenance". They know for long.

smellslikeshoes, i am not speculating or spreading rumours. I never retorted to your original post of "pure speculation" but i don't see why you have to jump on everything i have to say about this matter - do you know for a fact, that what i am saying is untrue?
    also, not sure what this means " think think you realise peoples objections to the original post or any of your posts for that matter" ??

The think think was just a small typeing error, should have said, "don't think", little surprised I missed it to be honest :p

No I don't know for a fact that what you say isn't true, but its generally better in a case like this not to say anything unless you can prove it. You are speculating on a companies demise and you don't see the problem there? And yes you are speculating because you can't prove anything other than their site is having problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

do you know for a fact, that what i am saying is untrue?

And do you know for a FACT that what you are saying is True?
    Pls post the facts here..we'd all like to see it..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kerrywings

I took out a contract with them last year since they were a lot cheaper than the Eircom product delivered by Mediast. The connection is much better and the bloke i spoke to several times (Vincent??) was always helpful.
    Their website is still 'down for maintenance' , my connection is still working but I must admit for how long..
    Emailed Avanti to see if they can provide me with a solution for me in Kerry...

Avanti's own satellite isn't even launched. Their existing rented beam would need at least a 1.8m dish for reliable reception in Kerry.

There are other larger suppliers of Satellite in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 irishguy09

kerrywings wrote: »
    I took out a contract with them last year since they were a lot cheaper than the Eircom product delivered by Mediast. The connection is much better and the bloke i spoke to several times (Vincent??) was always helpful.
    Their website is still 'down for maintenance' , my connection is still working but I must admit for how long..
    Emailed Avanti to see if they can provide me with a solution for me in Kerry...

Hey Kerrywings.....see attached suppliers as per www.broadband.gove.ie

cheers

Irishguy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

NBB have an Astra2Connect UK franchise as well , I think .

There are other astra2 connect resellers who could provide the exact same service as NBB. Some of them even explain the 64kbit throttling policy on their websites

All resellers.

http://www.ses-astra.com/consumer/en/astra-broadband/astra2connect/index.php

UK

http://www.beyondsl.net/

a dealer will reconnect you no problems .

Throttling policy

http://www.beyondsl.net/astra2connect/service-levels.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 kerrywings

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    NBB have an Astra2Connect UK franchise as well , I think .

There are other astra2 connect resellers who could provide the exact same service as NBB. Some of them even explain the 64kbit throttling policy on their websites

All resellers.

http://www.ses-astra.com/consumer/en/astra-broadband/astra2connect/index.php

UK

http://www.beyondsl.net/

a dealer will reconnect you no problems .

Throttling policy

http://www.beyondsl.net/astra2connect/service-levels.html

Thanks for the replies! I checked the beyonds.net site but that doesn't give me a lot of confidence either... ;-)
    Tried to get their contact information from the contacts page but there is not contact listed..

Anyway I rang Astra and they are aware that there is some kind of an issue and they will get back to me. As soon as I have an update I will post it here.

Advertisement