Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of NBB??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kerrywings

just checked their website address and there is a website again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 declanskidneys

Hi All,

I'm thinking about buying the meteor togo product, im not familiar with broadbrand products so was googling some options. I had a look at this website, looks good, i currently can't get landline broadband in my area, so i did a bit of background on this company when i saw the address. The feedback i got, from a publican in clane co kildare (head office of nbb) was that one of their sales guys is a regular in the pub and the company let him and all the sales staff go a few weeks back, due to current economy. The only people working their now are the accountant and order process guy, I'm a bit worried about entering a contract with a company in trouble, but the products look good, digiweb have a similar product, but when i spoke to the order guy in NBB he said there satellite is way better than digiwebs and better speed and value.
    Has anybody and helpful direction on this? NBB - good or bad? Digiweb - is this good? Meteor Togo - has anybody used this, if you have good meteor coverage will the broadband be good?

All help appreciated - thaks lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

NBB is cheaper than Digiweb and the max speeds are faster. NBB don't charge up front for the equipment - it is rented to you.
    If you do go with NBB I would advise paying for an engineer install. Also - the promised phone service is still not active (for me anmyway) - so don't be relying on that. (ask for a reduction in price) The only thing to watch out for is the speed restrictions when you go over a certain amount of download in a month. It isn't (or wasn't) stated on their site - but once you hit 2Gb speeds will drop drastically.
    Meteor broadband coverage is nothing to do with satellite coverage. You can probably try meteor on a 7 day trial basis and if it is no good give it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Ogham, I beg to differ regarding the NBB v Digiweb pricing and speeds

Digweb have just launched a new satellite service http://digiweb.ie/business/satellite/

whilst you still need to pay for the equipment and install, the monthly fees are not too bad for satellite broadband and the speeds are faster than the old Digiweb stuff.

As far as I know too, the Meteor ToGo is only in Cork and Dublin at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The NBB product can't upgrade, only a 500mW transmitter. It's transponder beam is better suited for East Coast than West Coast as it's a mainland Europe service really.

Digiweb has several differerent satellite products and the newest one is a new service using more advanced technology. There is "old Digiweb stuff" that is much faster than NBB's Astra2Connect, which is particularly limited in upstream/upload by the low power 0.5W. Some of Digiweb's are 2W or 4W. I think about 30% of schools maybe be using Digiweb's even older stuff.

Digiweb is also a large ISP with their own real data network and voice network. NBB is just a reseller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

35notout wrote: »
    Ogham, I beg to differ regarding the NBB v Digiweb pricing and speeds

Digweb have just launched a new satellite service http://digiweb.ie/business/satellite/

whilst you still need to pay for the equipment and install, the monthly fees are not too bad for satellite broadband and the speeds are faster than the old Digiweb stuff.

I hadn't seen the new Digiweb prices - which I see are a lot lower than the previous prices. A bit harder to decide now. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 irishguy09

Ogham wrote: »
    I hadn't seen the new Digiweb prices - which I see are a lot lower than the previous prices. A bit harder to decide now. :o

Hi Ogham....check out another provider, Satellite Broadband Ireland. They're providing a 2-way satellite service, 2Mbps 'Always-On' service and offering better customer service and have partnered with Europe's largest provider, Eutelsat & Skylogic. Irishguy

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

irishguy09 wrote: »
    Hi Ogham....check out another provider, Satellite Broadband Ireland. They're providing a 2-way satellite service, 2Mbps 'Always-On' service and offering better customer service and have partnered with Europe's largest provider, Eutelsat & Skylogic. Irishguy

Irishguy, I think you will find they are exactly the same service - Digiweb are just cheaper and bigger!

Some good info here lads, thanks for that. Had a look at the new Digiweb Tooway stuff, the price and speeds look good value for money. Spoke with NBB too, they hope to have the mobile phone option shortly also, the guy on the phone said its ready for launch soon, so I might hold to see if I can get a good deal on all four, TV, Broadband, House phone and mobile. The lad in NBB reckons that NBB are the only company in the country that can cover all the broadband blackspots in the National Broadband Scheme, he said 3G haven't a hope and that A2C is way better on latency than Eutelsat for VOIP (not sure what he meant) he also said they have proven it in the courts :confused:. Sounded a bit wound up about it to say the least. Anyway thanks lads for the info, oh and a tip for anyone phoning NBB, set aside at least 20 mins to listen to the rants, oh and dont mention 3G or the National Broadband Scheme, seems to be a sore point, i think the guys name was Jim or something :)

Free info, for you guys. NBB - stay clear if you are looking for good customer service. One week on and I still hadn't received the promised call back, so I contacted the new website and heard nothing back, then I called the customer "don't care" department...what a response. Phrases like "should have", "might be able" oh and the classic, sure "why would you need broadband speed of 2MB all the time, couldn't your kids download youtube over night":)

The options are you pay up front, and you "should have" product within a couple of weeks, "have a go" at installing it yourself first, and if it doesn't work then we "will try" and arrange an engineer to visit. Absolutely comical man this lad, and tells me he used sell the old one way broadband for years and understands technically that I "the customer" doesn't need 2MB all the time....:)

I had a read back through the thread here lads and Boggerboy, you might not be far off by using the phrase cowboys. Smellslikeshoes the above are facts, but if you doubt, give them a call yourself, its like Broadband coming to Killinaskully ....:confused:

Oh and, Smellslikeshoes, the correct spelling is typing see your comment below.

The think think was just a small typeing error, should have said, "don't think", little surprised I missed it to be honest tongue.gif

• Advertisement

The lad in NBB reckons that NBB are the only company in the country that can cover all the broadband blackspots in the National Broadband Scheme, he said 3G haven't a hope and that A2C is way better on latency than Eutelsat for VOIP (not sure what he meant) he also said they have proven it in the courts :confused:.

One claim is untrue and the other is hyped by at least x10

It's possible the latency is MARGINALLY better than other satellite suppliers for VOIP. But it can't get below a mind-numbing 790ms. That's physics. Typical 3G, which is POOR latency for VOIP and gaming is 120ms. I get 20ms latency for VOIP on my fixed Wireless.

There are a few satellite suppliers. NBB have no better coverage than some for covering NBS blackspots. In fact in the main NBS areas the NBB needs a BIGGER dish than some other satellite services for reliable operation in the rain.

Satellite is not a mainline NBS solution, even if NBB think they ought to have been able to tender for the entire job.

These guys ever since they started have made hyped claims. They are not even an ISP. At least one major Satellite Terminal seller is also an ISP and do upgrade people almost automatically when real terrestrial broadband comes to a location.

"load YouTube overnight" :) Don't they know that is a real-time streaming service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭boggerboy

Free info, for you guys. NBB - stay clear if you are looking for good customer service. One week on and I still hadn't received the promised call back, so I contacted the new website and heard nothing back, then I called the customer "don't care" department...what a response. Phrases like "should have", "might be able" oh and the classic, sure "why would you need broadband speed of 2MB all the time, couldn't your kids download youtube over night":)

The options are you pay up front, and you "should have" product within a couple of weeks, "have a go" at installing it yourself first, and if it doesn't work then we "will try" and arrange an engineer to visit. Absolutely comical man this lad, and tells me he used sell the old one way broadband for years and understands technically that I "the customer" doesn't need 2MB all the time....:)

I had a read back through the thread here lads and Boggerboy, you might not be far off by using the phrase cowboys. Smellslikeshoes the above are facts, but if you doubt, give them a call yourself, its like Broadband coming to Killinaskully ....:confused:

The think think was just a small typeing error, should have said, "don't think", little surprised I missed it to be honest tongue.gif

declanskidneys,
    thanks for the support, very cool and well timed name by the way!
    just to reiterate what i said before, the original and only reason i started this tread was to inform people who may be considering NBB as a supplier. As things have got generally worse for people in the money area,every penny spent is vital. If people search back through broadband threads they can see opinion and facts about NBB. Posters like smellslikeshoes like to hijack threads and diss the OP as has been pointed out before. When things don´t go so right for NBB, i don´t want to say "told ye so" as i want people to be aware of it before the fact.
    if i hear of any other companies in trouble that may affect peoples money i´ll be sure to let them know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

boggerboy wrote: »
    declanskidneys,
    thanks for the support, very cool and well timed name by the way!
    just to reiterate what i said before, the original and only reason i started this tread was to inform people who may be considering NBB as a supplier. As things have got generally worse for people in the money area,every penny spent is vital. If people search back through broadband threads they can see opinion and facts about NBB. Posters like smellslikeshoes like to hijack threads and diss the OP as has been pointed out before. When things don´t go so right for NBB, i don´t want to say "told ye so" as i want people to be aware of it before the fact.
    if i hear of any other companies in trouble that may affect peoples money i´ll be sure to let them know!

I have never once "dissed you" OP, I called into question your claims that the company has after collapsing, nothing more and certainly nothing personal.

You were making wild accusations of the company collapsing without any proof. I have nothing against you saying the service they provide is poor or the claims they make are exaggerated, but you can't go around saying a company has after collapsing just to stop people from using them. I'm a pretty vocal critic of Satellite broadband in general and have previously called into question NBB's claims of good VOIP etc. especially around the time of the the NBS court case. But I stand by my point that starting rumours about a company collapsing without any proof is just not proper.
    You seem to think that I am defending this company's service.
    Please point out to me where I said anything about the service or lack of service of this company in this thread. All I have said in this whole thread is its not proper spreading rumours about a companies possible demise without any proof.

Oh yes, pointing out a small grammatical error in a post by someone who's first language was not English (not that I'm using that as an excuse) really makes their argument invalid doesn't it? I could very easily pick apart your posts and point out your grammatical errors but I won't because it is little more than a cheap shot.

Relax smellslikeshoes, I am, no more than you seem to be, a professor of the english language, I was merely making a tongue in cheek comment, on your own grammatical correction of boggerboys and your own thread, "think think" type error..apologies if my sense of humour upset you..:(. I did not know english is not your first language.

As regards of providing evidence from previous threads of what you did or did not say about that companies service, I am not interested in arguing to me what is a nonsensical argument, and have much more important things to do today, the purpose of this thread for me was to gather info and purchase broadband. Again, please relax and my apoligies if I struck a nerve with you, it was not the intention. I use this service like I do many other sites to gather information across a number of areas, and to be honest, Boggerboy may not be far off the mark with comments he has made, and I was merely trying to detail my experience, of this companies poor service to me, which I stand over as fact, and would be very surprised if anyone could experience different.

Watty, thanks for the technical info, its much appreciated. Look forward to picking your brain in the future. Yeah, I thought the You Tube comment was funny alright, the kids weren't too impressed by that suggestion either.;)

Relax smellslikeshoes, I am, no more than you seem to be, a professor of the english language, I was merely making a tongue in cheek comment, on your own grammatical correction of boggerboys and your own thread, "think think" type error..apologies if my sense of humour upset you..:(. I did not know english is not your first language.
    I never corrected anyones grammar, except my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Kids - play nice :) Mods get unhappy....

I have never once "dissed you" OP, I called into question your claims that the company has after collapsing, nothing more and certainly nothing personal.

smellslikeshoes,
    i would be keen to not continue on this line of posting, but when you state the above and previously post the following:

I think think you realise peoples objections to the original post or any of your posts for that matter
    ....??

sorry if i gave you the impression that i was merely posting slander,i´m not.
    and i´m waiting to see "peoples objections to any of my posts"

sorry if i gave you the impression that i was merely posting slander
    You have posted NO FACTS only speculation, until you can back up your claims with some proof it is all speculation. That is the bottom line.

You have posted NO FACTS only speculation, until you can back up your claims with some proof it is all speculation. That is the bottom line.

what proof do you want? nbb bank statements, sales figures & forecasts??
    plenty of people here on boards have had a go at nbb in the past, including employees of boards´sponsors, didn´t see you sniping at them?

have you read the previous posts about nbb? do you know anything about them? as an existing customer/interested party??

if you are just someone who likes to have the last word on something, then go ahead and reply, if not i suggest you post on a topic that you have an interest in/opinion on.

Regards

have you read the previous posts about nbb? do you know anything about them? as an existing customer/interested party??

if you are just someone who likes to have the last word on something, then go ahead and reply, if not i suggest you post on a topic that you have an interest in/opinion on.

Regards

I have a big interest in broadband and Irish telecommunications in general, hence why I browse this board.

Its not about getting last word or anything like that. You just shouldn't be speculating on a companies demise without proof.
    what proof do you want? nbb bank statements, sales figures & forecasts??
    plenty of people here on boards have had a go at nbb in the past, including employees of boards´sponsors, didn´t see you sniping at them?
    Ive had one or two digs at them in the Ireland Offline section over the years as well satelite providers and their exaggerated claims in general, plenty of which have disobeyed the laws of physics/bordered on the absurd.

The simple fact is though, you can not provide any proof whatsoever that this company has collapsed/going to collapse, and that is why you should keep your speculation to yourself.

Slate them on their service all you like, there is nothing wrong with that, in fact I would help in any way I can debunking their exaggerated claims with any knowledge on the subject I possess, but don't go around claiming they are collapsing because that is complete speculation not to mention it borders on libelous.

• Advertisement

I never corrected anyones grammar, except my own.

Good man/woman, there's nothing more admirable than a man/woman, that can recognise, his/her own failings and correct them.

I look forward to future communications with you, perhaps on less pedantic matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Lads, cut out the shite and stay on topic. The discussion is about NBB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SereneWanderer

Right you are Jor el. Let us talk abbout NBB = NarrowBandBummers from Kildare.

They deliver speeds at around 3KB/s = 24kbs most time of the day now. I have to admit that we download more than 5 GB per month, and I know all about FUP, which is absolutely vague in the case of NBB terms & conditions. This service is like a horror trip to us. After 2 weeks of every month we find ourselves waiting...

We asked our solicitor to write and look for a solution – they did not even answer the letter. Now we have to decide wether to take them to court.

This is the most terrible service I ever got from an Internet provider – we started web activities in 1993. Unfortunately we live far off the well connected areas in rural West Cork. We are willing to accept a fair "broadband service" - we have subscribed to 2 Meg – but we cannot accept this crap service from Kildare.

Re. the discussion of NBB going out of business: As soon as there is an option there will be no business left for NBB.

Pls pardon my poor English - no native speaker. Hope you get the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Wherabouts in West Cork are you? It is surprising as there are alot of Wisp options there plus good enough DSL coverage too.

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Wherabouts in West Cork are you? It is surprising as there are alot of Wisp options there plus good enough DSL coverage too.

Ardaturrish Beg, Glengarriff.

Has Brendan Hurley's Digital Forge not got coverage down there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

welcome back netwhizkid , when did you come back to us ?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    welcome back netwhizkid , when did you come back to us ?

Just over a week ago, I was out for two years, but was still observant of the forum during that time. It is good to see Ioffl back again and hopefully I can contribute more to this forum also. I eventually got a good internet connection to my place (my sig:p) since then and no longer depend on satellite.

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Has Brendan Hurley's Digital Forge not got coverage down there?

Thanks for checking, but no, Brendan cannot deliver so far. Eircom will not, and the 3G Mobile Phone Dongles do not work either. Guess we have to wait for the Three solution?

• Advertisement

There is no "3" solution. They are just adding more Mobile phone masts. It's not BB, just the same 3G Mobile phone system people already have.

"3"'s satellite solution isn't even launched yet either and may not as it is an experimental launch.

Advertisement