Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of NBB??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

If NBB are not providing the service you signed up for - can you not just cancel your contract?
    Have you looked at Digiweb - they have dropped 2 way satellite prices (but I think their faur usage policy is just as vague)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Why not get a dsl bb connection across the bay ( pay for it in someone elses house) and use wireless to relay it over to yourselves. wi pipe.com in waterford can sell these 'dsl extender' kits once you know range , height above water etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Scoti

watty wrote: »
    There is no "3" solution. They are just adding more Mobile phone masts. It's not BB, just the same 3G Mobile phone system people already have.

"3"'s satellite solution isn't even launched yet either and may not as it is an experimental launch.

The problem with 3 is the lack of bandwidth between nodes, they will be improving it soon and some nods have already been upgraded (not many though). The company 3 mobile belongs to a very wealthy company called Hutch, I have heard that hutch or Hutchinson's are planning on upgrading their network (specially since the national broadband project) more than 100 times

At the moment most people will still suffer from slow speeds but in the future ...

451072785.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Mobile will always be rubbish unless you live no more than 500m from the mast , if not then start planning for proper broadband for yourself .

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Mobile will always be rubbish unless you live no more than 500m from the mast , if not then start planning for proper broadband for yourself .

Nah, I dont use 3G and couldnt be bothered, but saying that 3G technology is rubbish sounds a bit like what people said 12 years ago about copper and internet before DSL was introduced to the general public

Of course instead of 3G a better option will be providing everyone with fibre but we have to be real, that's not gonna happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mobile is pretty much doomed to be a MOBILE version of what we had before DSL.

Other countries with no better off, nor better Geography can do it.

We are currently 7th most expensive for Mobile voice calls and THE MOST EXPENSIVE IN WORLD for line Rental.

We lie about 25th in Internet performance in OECD.

http://irishwattystuff.com/comparewireless/CompareHSPAandFixed-v4.html

@Scoti you either speak through lack of comparison or Work for a Mobile operator.

see also http://irelandoffline.org/

3G/EDGE/HSDPA and in some countries LTE next year, is a great MOBILE solution. It's worse than what some 3rd world countries have as a Fixed Internet Access.

You know Kenya started rollout of fibre in all Cities FIVE years ago?

Australia had a far better NBS scheme than ours. Our minister tried to convince them that 3G was the answer. They just scrapped the tender process

This http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055532297 is what the Australians are doing instead.

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59807979#post59807979
    Especially post 14 and 15
    Quality of competition in the ISP sector - 79th - Down 11 places

Countries that have overtaken us in the past year:
    Pakistan, Benin, Nepal, Kenya, Mongolia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Zambia, Vietnam, Morocco, Spain and Indonesia.

I don't know to laugh or cry. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

We are currently 7th most expensive for Mobile voice calls and THE MOST EXPENSIVE IN WORLD for line Rental.

@Scoti you either speak through lack of comparison or Work for a Mobile operator.

3G/EDGE/HSDPA and in some countries LTE next year, is a great MOBILE solution. It's worse than what some 3rd world countries have as a Fixed Internet Access.

Australia had a far better NBS scheme than ours. Our minister tried to convince them that 3G was the answer. They just scrapped the tender process

This http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055532297 is what the Australians are doing instead.

Kenya will benefit of the new fiber link to Africa and they decided to invest on fiber as they use satellite and is much more expensive.

Telecom companies are very interested in investing in countries such as Kenya or Egipt as they see a big market there but you can't compare this to Ireland where a monopoly exist.

Of the list of countries above a country that comes to my attention is Spain, where a monopoly also exists.
    Just courious, do you think it will be a good NBS? Not 3G then, not copper...

To be honest, there arent many options :(, Ireland is not what it was 6 years ago, is a bit too late now

Jaysus so either I have no clue or work for a mobile operator... interesting

Actually I am not sure why you've become so defensive, all I was trying to do is to say that the problem people are having with 3 mobile should improve as soon as they upgrade their node bandwidth.

Never said that 3 were great or the future, I personally think they suck, much as most ISPs in this country and most of Europe, but there is no way in hell I would use a 3g operator as my main bb provider, not with the current technologies, but I wouldnt call 3G rubbish either

We can always compare ourselves to other countries but the truth of the matter is that no matter what, we are doomed, and it will be a while before we enjoy decent bb in this country, a long while

Now we can all cry

Any one ever get NBB's phone service?

Not me - but they reduced the fee by 20 a month. They are blaming delays on Eircom releasing numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭boggerboy

Thanks Watty for giving smellslikeshoes the 1st bit of proof he needed. I am not a solicitor or barrister, but I'm guessing that one of the top Law firms in the country doesn't take judgements against firms lightly??
    If you check back through the NBS posts, paper reports you will see that this particular firm was representing NBB in the court case against the Government re the NBS - suppose it's speculation to say that they didn't pay their bill??

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mcdrogo

It looks like NBB has bitten the dust:rolleyes:. My connection has been down since yesterday. I sent emails, but there was no reply. I've spent all day trying to phone them, but no one is answering.
    I contacted Beyondsl in the UK. I asked them if they would continue my service. They said they'd have me up and running by midnight tonight, fingers crossed:confused:. They had heard that Astra's Irish partner had 'gone' and they, amongst others, had been asked by Astra to provide the service here.
    If you're like me and absolutely need BB, and whose only option is satellite, call Beyondsl. Phone: 0044 20 84526699. Website: www.beyondsl.net

mcdrogo wrote: »
    It looks like NBB has bitten the dust:rolleyes:. My connection has been down since yesterday. I sent emails, but there was no reply. I've spent all day trying to phone them, but no one is answering.
    I contacted Beyondsl in the UK. I asked them if they would continue my service. They said they'd have me up and running by midnight tonight, fingers crossed:confused:. They had heard that Astra's Irish partner had 'gone' and they, amongst others, had been asked by Astra to provide the service here.
    If you're like me and absolutely need BB, and whose only option is satellite, call Beyondsl. Phone: 0044 20 84526699. Website: www.beyondsl.net

Thats very good info there mcdrogo,good of you to have a solution there too. I hope you get sorted by that UK crowd

All the best

NBB is working fine for me (using now as I write this) . I haven't used it much the last 2 days - so I don't know if there was a problem - but its working OK for me at the moment.

NBB isn't an ISP. Astra is providing your service.

NBB isn't an ISP. Astra is providing your service.

Ok - but surely if NBB were finished - Astra would not provide a service via NBB anymore? My connection is fine.

The service isn't via NBB. Never was. NBB are just a retail agent. They sell/install and collect money. They do not provide any Internet connectivity whatsoever. They are not an ISP. In contrast on the Digiweb Schools system, Digiweb rents connectivity back from the earth station (hub) to Heanet and provide hosting on Dublin fibre for Retail Satellite customers as they are an ISP and Hosting provider. NBB don't do any of that. It's just an Agent's office.

If your payment is to NBB, then NBB forward most of that to Astra. (Like a Tupperware party). If NBB stop forwarding the payments, then Astra start cutting customers off, depending on how much in arrears NBB is. So there would be no massive instant switch off for everyone.

Also even if NBB was closing, to avoid overloading help/sales desks of other retail agents, Astra would only disconnect a few customers a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 markmagennis

Just looked at the costs for NBB customers thinking of switching to Digiweb Tooway. All prices inclusive of VAT.

NBB Home Office 1Mb = €49 per month
    Digiweb Tooway Value 2Mb = €35 per month
    Tooway installation and equipment = €744

I already have an NBB dish (it's rented but will they seriously want to come and retrieve it?), so perhaps I can get a discount on the equipment and do a self install. If they'll give me 50% discount on equipment and no installation, total cost over 1 year will come to €55 per month. Spread over 2 years, it'll be €45 per month. Sounds okay.

I just phoned them to ask about the possibility of an equipment discount and self install, but I got a voicemail message saying "we are closed for Xmas"! :confused: That's almost as good as the reply I got when I submitted a query to NBB using the online contact form. It said "Don't try that!!" :eek:

The NBB dish is only good for Astra2Connect or TV satellite. It won't fit equipment of other services.

The NBB modem only works for Astra2connect.

You didn't ring a wrong number?

No-one allows self install, other than Astra2Connect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 declanskidneys

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...k-1710102.html

Boggerboy it seems this isn't the first time NBB's founders got into difficulty, see below link, seems the phone didn't answer back then in 2007 either:

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2007/01/14/story20228.asp

Crazy stuff, could be just a bad run of luck.

Thankfully I didn't go with the next generation state of the art satellite broadband and telephone service offering in the end, in no small part to info gathered on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 kerrywings

Used the NBB product over the week-end no problems yet .... however will have to look for alternative provider shortly I guess...

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...k-1710102.html

Boggerboy it seems this isn't the first time NBB's founders got into difficulty, see below link, seems the phone didn't answer back then in 2007 either:

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2007/01/14/story20228.asp

Crazy stuff, could be just a bad run of luck.

Thankfully I didn't go with the next generation state of the art satellite broadband and telephone service offering in the end, in no small part to info gathered on boards.

Thats not a good sign Declanskidneys, although as you say could be a bad run of luck.Anyway,just found out that the two directors have let all their staff go which I know is not unusual these days but surely would be hard for them to install across the west while operating the office in Kildare? I suppose rerouting calls to mobiles etc can work, or sub contracting etc.

Kerrywings, the reason I started this thread was to highlight the possibility to people like yourself that the company would go bust and leave you without a much needed service and possibly out of pocket...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 declanskidneys

I think its time to look around Kerryswings, i had a look at the ses astra website, see the link below,

http://www.ses-astra.com/consumer/en/astra-broadband/astra2connect/index.php

there's no mention of Mr Keatings company NBB up here anymore...as an agent in Ireland.

although ABB Telecom....www.abbtelecom.ie seem to have similar marketing and guarantees, so maybe they will handle your service should it get cut off. although i did try calling there landline number and there was no answer, just a machine and the mobile number on the website is a digit short. they might be worth a shout though.

The service was never designed for West of Ireland. It's primarily a mainland entry-level, budget, non-upgradable service due to the 1/4 to 1/8th of typical TX power (500mw) to reduce equipment cost and light wieght TV dish rather than Channel master/Andrews VSAT dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kerrywings

Your are right, ABB has taken over from NBB.... was able to get through using the phone number provided, I guess I give it a try....

I think its time to look around Kerryswings, i had a look at the ses astra website, see the link below,

http://www.ses-astra.com/consumer/en/astra-broadband/astra2connect/index.php

although ABB Telecom....www.abbtelecom.ie seem to have similar marketing and guarantees, so maybe they will handle your service should it get cut off. .

It's www.abbtelecom.com . Their website homepage has an announcement aimed at NBB customers

"If you are a former customer of National Broadband Ltd. and wish to continue with the Astra2Connect service please contact us at 0449391490 or at admin@abbtelecom.com We can reset your service remotely (ie. no engineer visit needed) once you have completed the necessary paperwork.
    We will reconnect you using your existing hardware so your only payment will be your ongoing monthly payment which will be the same as your NBB payment."

My internet (NBB) is still OK (for now) and I haven't been in touch with ABBtelecom. Looks like I'll have to soon?
    I wonder if they were going to get in touch with NBB customers anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 markmagennis

I paid a refundable deposit of €200 for my NBB. I guess that's gone. :(

Mark

I paid a refundable deposit of €200 for my NBB. I guess that's gone. :(

Mark

But you've got the equipment :) (which you were only renting) unless they come and get it. (Which is unlikely)

Not if you paid by credit card.

Also there are other mechanisms. The deposit is technically your money. We ought to have legislation that deposits are held in escrow or something. When I was moving out of an apartment the Landlord tried to claim he couldn't give me my deposit as he didn't have the money. In fact in the end he did give me the money as I moved out. My daughter had a simlar problem and it took 6 months to get the money. A new company had bought her apartment block and claimed the seller never gave them the deposits :( Whatever, by buying it they legally obliged for Debts as well as assets.

The Directors of NBB are still alive. Write to them calmly via registered post. Cc the address in the companies office.

• Advertisement

Not if you paid by credit card.

Also there are other mechanisms. The deposit is technically your money. We ought to have legislation that deposits are held in escrow or something. When I was moving out of an apartment the Landlord tried to claim he couldn't give me my deposit as he didn't have the money. In fact in the end he did give me the money as I moved out. My daughter had a simlar problem and it took 6 months to get the money. A new company had bought her apartment block and claimed the seller never gave them the deposits :( Whatever, by buying it they legally obliged for Debts as well as assets.

The Directors of NBB are still alive. Write to them calmly via registered post. Cc the address in the companies office.

Guys
    All of the above is good advice and it's also good information to direct towards ABB for NBB customers. Just to give you a heads up, click on this link http://www.vision-net.ie/barometerRWMeetingsByWeek.jsp?t=1&weekNumber=5&nonSubBarometer=true Near the bottom are listed National Broadband Limited & National Broadband Services Limited - 2 companies of NBB. For customers like Mark, as Watty has suggested deposits should be held in escrow but its doubtful in this case, you should try and find out about the Creditors meeting.

Also, just an opinion on the newly formed ABB Telecom; We have already seen NBB rising from the ashes of Crosscountry Broadband, I hope for the customers of NBB that ABB is not another spin off - Their website has some very striking similarities, not the appearance but the wording, especially the mention of Eircom, a theme which carries through from Cross Country..

Watty, as you are in this industry, is their any way of finding out who the owners if ABB are? i can't find them in the Companies Reg Office...
    I hope the above is based on Paranoia...
    Mods, I will delete the last part of this post without question if you require..

Advertisement