Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of NBB??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭boggerboy

All, just a quick update on my last post...
    Creditors Meeting for NBB is in the Ardmore Hotel between Finglas and Glasnevin http://www.ardmore-hotel.com/ next Tuesday 26th May at 09.30am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Surprise surprise...
    Guess who registered the domain name Abbtelecom.com ?

John O'Brien - formerly involved with both Cross Country Broadband and NBB if (I am not mistaken.)
    If you thought the wording was similar to the NBB website - that explains it.
    See here
    http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/abbtelecom.com

It was only registered a week ago !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 declanskidneys

you could be on to something boggerboy, there are strong similarities between the two websites. My neighbour rang them on the mobile for some information and spoke to a nice man on the phone, another similarity with NBB his name was John too, but it was o'brien i think not keating :)

the liquidator will probably look to pay all commercial invoices first, so it might be worth, asking abb telecom is your deposit still guaranteed by astra Markmagennis.

i just read your post Ogham, the mobile number is also registered to john of NBB see below. I didnt realize this man was involved in both previous companies also. Is this a good or a bad thing?

<LI class=g>Buy and Sell anything online, Cars Ireland, Advertise for free

28th. Would like to swop for similar ticket for Thursday 27th. Tel. John at 086 6613431 or email jw@nbb.ie CONTACT: 086-6613431. Bmw 525 1995 ...
    www.buyandsell.ie/search/quick_search?category%5Bid%5D=18-Swap-Shop&category_name=Swap+Shop&page=5...term= - Similar pages
    <LI class=g style="MARGIN-LEFT: 3em">free ads,free classifieds ad, ads for free,place free ads online

John at 086 6613431 or email jw@nbb.ie CONTACT: 086-6613431. Sti gold alloys. Louth. €300.00. pcd 114.3 s stud to suit subaru... come with 225/45/17 tyres ...
    www.buyandsell.ie/search/quick_search?category%5Bid%5D=&page=564&search_term= -

you could be on to something boggerboy, there are strong similarities between the two websites. My neighbour rang them on the mobile for some information and spoke to a nice man on the phone, another similarity with NBB his name was John too, but it was o'brien i think not keating :)

the liquidator will probably look to pay all commercial invoices first, so it might be worth, asking abb telecom is your deposit still guaranteed by astra Markmagennis.

Thanks for the update declanskidneys..
    Another Similarity - as far as I remember, Cross country broadband was founded by a John O'Brien... who was also a director in NBB..common enough name I suppose, but given the circumstances..
    If it turns out to be true it's wrong on so many levels..

Maybe if someone from ABB reads boards.ie they could clarify..

• Advertisement

Sorry Guys, had started posting before you had posted and informed us all of the details so ignore my post..
    How can people get away with liquidating one company and starting another?? Before the 1st is even liquated??
    Shocking

yeah common enough name, like michael jones, john smith, john doe etc. But Ogham above seems to be certain it is the same person. Surely though Astra would require financial and business guarantees for an agency....

yeah common enough name, like michael jones, john smith, john doe etc. But Ogham above seems to be certain it is the same person. Surely though Astra would require financial and business guarantees for an agency....

Ogham is correct - if you follow his link it shows John O'Brien, Cross Country Broadband as the contact.. must never have liquidated cross country...
    Glad now I never signed up, as I said before- COWBOYS

Thats proabably useful information for anyone going to the creditors meeting about liquidation, sure there must be assets from previous companies if there was money to register and build a website and set up a new business and premises. but then again as mere consumers, people will probably come out the worst someway. maybe theres no link at all with this guy and other businesses, its just opinion.

boggerboy wrote: »
    Glad now I never signed up, as I said before- COWBOYS

Boggerboy - why would you ever have been thinking of signing up?? You never mentioned that before. Do you not already have broadband where you live?
    You started this thread about the demise of NBB - but for someone who isn't a customer of theirs - you seem to be very interested/concerned about them .
    I am just curious as to why ?
    (I am a customer of NBB by the way)

• Advertisement

Thats proabably useful information for anyone going to the creditors meeting about liquidation, sure there must be assets from previous companies if there was money to register and build a website and set up a new business and premises. but then again as mere consumers, people will probably come out the worst someway. maybe theres no link at all with this guy and other businesses, its just opinion.

Ah,it's one and the same alright... wonder if there's any journo's interested in doing a piece on comapny directors like this? make a change from the banks... A little piece on rogue traders or something..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If it swims, waggles it tail like a duck, quacks like a duck and has a beak, it probably is a Duck.

It's a good principle to not spend money on serial phoenix ducks.

The whole point of serial Company creation is in fact to walk away from previous liabilities. No matter who ABB is they won't give back money on deposit to NBB, that has to be got back from NBB. Go to the Creditors meeting.

There are situations where a person can be banned from being a director in the future, but they are not applied often enough and often circumvented by a friend or relative "fronting" the new company.

Ogham wrote: »
    Boggerboy - why would you ever have been thinking of signing up?? You never mentioned that before. Do you not already have broadband where you live?
    You started this thread about the demise of NBB - but for someone who isn't a customer of theirs - you seem to be very interested/concerned about them .
    I am just curious as to why ?
    (I am a customer of NBB by the way)

Ogham hi
    Sorry, just a turn of phrase re never ordering..
    Friend of mine got stung by these guys, hence my interest
    I don't have broadband at home, just in work

If these are one and the same company guys, and if ABB are now responsible and have the capability to manage ex NBB customers then it is very strange that ABB offer only broadband

"""At the moment Abbey Telecom are only providing the broadband service but in a few months the full triple play package will be available.""" from their website.

when at present NBB say on their website that they have a full up and running triple play product

""""At the moment National Broadband Ltd., can offer a Triple play package Nationwide.Triple play involves providing a package of Broadband, Telephone and TV.""""

Surely if this is the same John guy that was involved with all previous incarnations of this company, he wouldn't miss a trick or an opportunity to make more money from the start by selling all three products off the one dish??????

If these are one and the same company guys, and if ABB are now responsible and have the capability to manage ex NBB customers then it is very strange that ABB offer only broadband

"""At the moment Abbey Telecom are only providing the broadband service but in a few months the full triple play package will be available.""" from their website.

when at present NBB say on their website that they have a full up and running triple play product

""""At the moment National Broadband Ltd., can offer a Triple play package Nationwide.Triple play involves providing a package of Broadband, Telephone and TV.""""

Surely if this is the same John guy that was involved with all previous incarnations of this company, he wouldn't miss a trick or an opportunity to make more money from the start by selling all three products off the one dish??????

declanskidneys,
    If you check previous posts, I don' think anyone got their phone? (could be slightly wrong) so that could be a reason for only offering broadband?

To paraphase Watty, it's the same Duck

NBB never got the phone service up and running - (not sure if the TV side of things was working but I never asked for or was offered it)

If its not too personal a question Ogham, did you have to pay for the triple bundle from NBB, or did you just purchase broadband?

I might appear naieve or innocent on this, but this sounds like a "talk to Joe Duffy" radio special here...this sounds completely unlawful, false advertising, holding deposits etc etc

Why do no established reputible ISPs offer residential / business phone service by Geo Sat?

Because VOIP adds latency anyway and Geosyncronous makes it 790ms worse.

Iridium is LEO.
    Thuraya is portable with Roaming onto GSM.

It's only really the the German 23.5E service that has TV "built in", on same polarity as Modem RX with Astra2Connect ODU.

Here for 28.2E (BBC/ITV free channels) you need a 3rd coax and 2nd LNB. (VSAT uses an RX and TX coax). Pay TV via satellite in english is effectively Sky only.

So Triple play is nonsense. Astra2Connect in Ireland is a low end / entry level / non-upgradable / very basic Internet only product.

Decent upgradable VSAT can be be better than 3G/HSDPA (though fixed 790ms latency compared with 90ms to 2000ms on 3G). Compared with the Astra2Connect you might find O2 or vodafone better. Or in some areas Meteor or even 3.

I only pay for the internet connection (after asking for a reduction) .
    My deposit covered the equipment (which is rented) and is refundable on return . I don't think Joe Duffy would be bothered - I certainly won't be contacting him.:)

Thanks for the info Watty. Technically it seems A2C triple is a dream or fantasy..

Yeah I'd say you're right about Joe Duffy Ogham... :) I made the comment in jest, anyway you seem to have your ducks in a row there and I hope the reduction works out.

Take care, and the best of luck with it all.

Declan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I got an email from ABB Telecom informing me that NBB have gone bust and that my broadband service will be disconnected and I will now have to take out the service with ABB... :mad:

How long will it be before ABB go bust???

"Calling all National Broadband Customers.

As you may now be aware National Broadband ltd. has ceased trading.

Ses-Astra who provide the satellite broadband service which you presently use have cancelled their contract with National Broadband.

Ses-Astra have appointed ABB TELECOM as their new agent in Ireland.

Within the next few days Ses-Astra will be shutting down the National Broadband satellite broadband service having already set up a similar service with ABB TELECOM.

In conjunction with Ses-Astra ABB TELECOM have undertaken to provide service to all National Broadband customers at the same monthly price as was being charged by National Broadband.

Should you wish to continue with the satellite broadband service as provided by ABB TELECOM you will need to do the following :"

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

How would ABB have your email address? Or did it come from NBB?

If it came from ABB, then it screams that ABB is NBB rebranded!

the email arrived today in the spam folder :D

came from steve @ abbtelecom.com

NBB ...... ABB what next ZBB?

the NBB website is still up http://nbb.ie/

Some pages I did 11 years ago on iol are still there too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Brent-Floyd

Hi Folks,
    My apologies! It was probably my fault that NBB went bust. I sent a letter a few days ago asking for my deposit back after not receiving a telephone service for around a year. I was also a victim of the previous Media Satellite liquidation. I certainly didn't realise that the same John O'Brien was involved! Presently I have joined Brisknet. They offer wireless broadband at both a slightly faster speed and a much cheaper rate (with no cable broadband in my area I don't have much choice). I suggest to anyone who has a direct debit to cancel it immediately, as it is collected by another company (Sentenial Limited). Anyone going to the Creditors meeting?
    Regards Brent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

I just got the email from abbtelecom.com saying "As you may now be aware National Broadband ltd. has ceased trading."

The is a right pain especially since:
    "Unfortunately due to the pending switch off of the previous service by Ses-Astra within the coming days you will need to attend to the above as quickly as possible."

....which is to go through setting up another direct debit. Fairly crazy stuff - why have they gone bust - I would have thought they were doing fairly well? I spoke to John O'Brian before Christmas and they seemed to have a solid model. Overall I have had the service since January and it's been good and has only went down once or twice. The caps on downloads are a real pain.

Brent,shame on you :p
    35notout,if you look back through this thread it has been concluded that at least 1 of the directors of NBB,John O'Brien (founder of cross country) is the proud owner of ABB - this is how he has the email/contact details of all NBB customers..

Watty,you seem to know what you are talking about and believe in your employers alternative product - do they actively sell their satellite product or just answer queries? Would just be of interest to all of NBB's customers I presume? I have also found another satellite company www.satellitebroadband.ie - is their product of any use? ( i hope thats not considered advertising??)

I have no connection with any Satellite Reseller or ISP.

Things to look for:
    1) Track record of 1000s of installs
    2) Real ISP to sort VPN, VLANs etc
    3) Upgrades available
    4) Defined contention available (otherwise can be 1000:1 or more)
    5) reall ISP Hosting available as you aren't allowed to host anything on VSAT
    6) Beam of satellite gives proper coverage with size of dish
    7) Real ISP that will usually upgrade you for free to DSL or Fixed Wireless if it arrives in your area.
    8) Actually based in Ireland.

www.satellitebroadband.ie = www.micromagic.ie = www.micromagic.biz
    Never heard of them, so they can't have a huge install base. Their website makes them out bigger than they are.

The www.satellitebroadband.ie site only has a premium number and no address details. Obviously a rebrand.

They used to sell SkyDSL, which is not DSL nor anything to do with Sky, nor real Internet (Only a satellite TV receiver card or USB box on a PC to download broadcast)
    backnang.gif
    This is on their website. No such place in Ireland. I doubt it is any connection to them.

Sales phone number:

+353 (0)28 38748

Irish Postal Address

Micromagic
    13 Seskin Park
    Bantry
    Co. Cork
    Ireland

UK Branch Office

Micromagic
    32 Rossiters Road
    Frome
    Somerset
    BA11 4AJ

Micromagic (satellitebroadband) are just a Sales agent for Satlynx
    http://www.satlynx.com/pages/partners.htm#ireland

It's also only ONE of the three systems that Digiweb sells
    Digiweb are promoting Tooway now, which may be be even better next year if the upcoming Hotbird / Eutelsat launch is OK.

http://www.tooway.com/

I did evaluate Astra2Connect for Digiweb and advised them against selling it.
    * Too flimsy for decent service life. Regular cheap TV dish & arm.
    * Not upgradable. Max 0.5W ODU compared with 1W to 4W on competitors
    * The Triple play was hype (TV part only relevant in German market)
    * The beam really for Mainland Europe and dish too small for rain in the SouthWest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

Anyone know what is the situation with contracts?

Are ex NBB customers locked in to a fixed term contract with ABB?

Advertisement