Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of NBB??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

When will the liquidator come for the equipment and will the liquidator have your deposit ready to hand over either in cash or from the accountants company by cheque ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

fergalfrog wrote: »
    Anyone know what is the situation with contracts?

Are ex NBB customers locked in to a fixed term contract with ABB?

Ask them - but expect a long wait for a reply. I emailed them two days ago and again yesterday about contracts (and if they were connected to NBB) - still no reply.
    ( I got the email telling me about NBB going out of business too)

It looks like they are connected (they have our email addresses and John O'Brien registered the new domain name) - but even if they are- is it illegal?

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    When will the liquidator come for the equipment and will the liquidator have your deposit ready to hand over either in cash or from the accountants company by cheque ???

It would probably cost someone more to dismantle and collect all the equipment than it would be worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The image on micromagic/satellitebroadband is of Satlynx uplink

Satlynx GmbH
    Illerstr. 15
    71522 Backnang, Germany
    07191 971-0
    Link: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Satlynx,+Backnang,+Germany&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=61.969195,79.189453&ie=UTF8&ll=48.912657,9.428158&spn=0.012791,0.019333&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

Zoom in to see the dishes.

Equally sold by other people that sell a lot more satellite terminals than satellitebroadband.ie

Ogham wrote: »
    It would probably cost someone more to dismantle and collect all the equipment than it would be worth.

Yes. The Astra2Connect gear worth under 200 Euro S/H. Only about 250 Euro new, and ONLY works for Astra2Connect. Not compatible with any other service, not even the dish (except for TV as it will take a regular LNB)

Traditional sat gear uses much more powerful ODU and stronger dish, thus costs often 1,200 Euro. Usually the dish of traditional VSAT and often the ODU will work with different operators.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 declanskidneys

It looks like they are connected (they have our email addresses and John O'Brien registered the new domain name) - but even if they are- is it illegal?[/quote]

Ogham, is it not illegal for one company to pass on your personal email and contact details to another company without your permission?

In this case it seems, that the customer database for NBB has been given by Astra or by NBB to ABB Telecom, or alternatively Mr O'Brien has took it upon himself to take this information for himself on his departure.

Is this customer database not in the ownership of the liquidators as live assets in the case of the company going bust. This sounds very underhanded... or cunning depending on ones morals....:(

Anyone know what is the situation with contracts?

Are ex NBB customers locked in to a fixed term contract with ABB?

Any contract is void when the company ceases to exist unless the business is sold to ABB as a going concern.

If they want a new DD and are going to cut off customers then it suggests that NBB has not been "bought" by ABB.

Simply canvassing the existing NBB customers to sign up to ABB means that ABB can set up without any liability to NBB debts (such as legal bills of failed court case, deposits, subscriptions not forwarded to Astra etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Brent-Floyd

I noticed that the NBB site is still operating and the pay by credit card page is still working. There appears to be no official news of the demise of NBB (via a Google search) - apart from this bulletin board and those who received personal emails. I just wonder if there is going to be any unfortunate people who are going to join today not realising what the situation is? Plus, will those who paid by credit card recently get their money back via the card company?
    Regards Brent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

watty wrote: »
    Any contract is void when the company ceases to exist unless the business is sold to ABB as a going concern.

Thanks for that.
    Then you have no real contract with ABB since all you are agreeing to is a direct debit. You have your own (NBB) equipment and so owe ABB nothing really.

Watty, is it legal to obtain customer contact details and contact them directly, without the customer okaying that the information be passed from NBB to ABB. As the customer has given their email details to NBB not ABB for contact, I'm sure this might be covered under the Data Protection Acts.

Otherwise it would be fair game for you or I or others to be doing some contract work for a customer and while there obtain contact details of their customer database if possible and canvass for ourselves. Doesnt seem very fair in this case.

• Advertisement

I noticed that the NBB site is still operating and the pay by credit card page is still working. There appears to be no official news of the demise of NBB (via a Google search) - apart from this bulletin board and those who received personal emails. I just wonder if there is going to be any unfortunate people who are going to join today not realising what the situation is? Plus, will those who paid by credit card recently get their money back via the card company?
    Regards Brent.

Also there will be people who won't know til their service ends. The mail I got went in to spam and only for this thread I wouldn't have known anything!

I'm not a Lawyer and also It's against the rules to offer legal advice here.

However Caveat Emptor is a safe assumption.

Apologies, just picking your brain on the topic.

Sound advise to purhasers of such products :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 markmagennis

I phoned ABB this morning and left a message. They phoned back this afternoon, but while I was on another call so I missed it :(

I tried phoning again but their voicemail box is full.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kerrywings

Would be interesting to know how ABB got the addresses etc from NBB. I know the answer of course but thats not allowed under under the data protection laws! There is also no company or business name registered with the CRO under the name ABB Telecom, also the Regulator hadn't heard of them. I think the same cowboys are going for a quick buck..... I signed up with the crowd in England no hassle and much more reliable that the same people of NBB trying to do the same thing with ABB.... yes its a bit more expensive.... but thats ok if you don't want to have hassle!

Mark,
    that company www.mav.ie do the A2C also in partenership with UK company www.beyonddsl.net it might be no harm to see if they can take over your service also and maybe do a bit of price bargaining....;)

You're right kerrywings it smells underhanded alright... there are very few business start ups that would stumble across another companies customer database by accident...:)

anyone that has been contacted should respond to this guy steve@abbtelecom.com and ask him where the details came from..

glad to hear you got sorted with a better solution.

Its actually www.beyondsl.net with one d....

I spoke to Steve. Basically NBB are in liquidation and owe money, a new company ABB are taking over the accounts NBB had.

This is all legit - NBB have given them our contact details. NBB are even going to be linking to ABB from next week.

Now, the only connection with NBB and ABB is essentially a former emloyee John O'Brien. Steve told me, so that people are not going to be cut off ABB will take them on at the same pricing. There is no contract in place - but after things calm down you can decide what contract/plan you want to go on.

I told them to switch me over - direct debit form is on the way to them. He said if nbb is switched off before they get my form they will move me across anyway.

If NBB owe you money then it's got nothing to do with ABB.

btw I have no links to Cross-country/ABB/NBB broadband other than being a customer of the latter.

How is it legitimate for a 3rd party to have NBB's account details?

Never sign DD with anyone if there is ANY other route as the banks regard it as licence to give away your money on demand.

Never ever sign DD without a contract. You are giving someone a licence to take money (as much and as often as they like) and return nothing.

A standing Order is under your control as is credit card payments.

However this should not be construed as legal advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 markmagennis

I spoke to Steve. ... Now, the only connection with NBB and ABB is essentially a former emloyee John O'Brien.

The Steve you spoke to was Steve Beacham who used to work for NBB. So that's at least two former employees.

watty wrote: »
    How is it legitimate for a 3rd party to have NBB's account details?

I'm not trying to defend nbb/abb but to be honest it doesn't bother me in the least that they contacted me. I am glad they did and I think most others will be. The alternative is you get cut off. What's the difference between nbb calling and asking if I want to switch to abb or abb calling?

They may not have had the right to hand over contact details to abb but they haven't the time/money to call their customers so this is a better outcome. I am not trying to convince you of anything just stating it from my point of view.

The Steve you spoke to was Steve Beacham who used to work for NBB.

Officially he is not yet an employee.

John O'Brien is a former Director of NBB he resigned in oct 07 but remained in NBB until 3 months ago or so...
    There is no legal status of ABB.... so you will give someone a dd who calls himself ABB Telecom just like that.... no contract, no terms etc etc guys get real..... it just stinks

I'm not trying to defend nbb/abb but to be honest it doesn't bother me in the least that they contacted me. I am glad they did and I think most others will be. The alternative is you get cut off. What's the difference between nbb calling and asking if I want to switch to abb or abb calling?

They may not have had the right to hand over contact details to abb but they haven't the time/money to call their customers so this is a better outcome. I am not trying to convince you of anything just stating it from my point of view.

Go to Astra2connect's web site.
    Find a UK agent, or German one.
    Check UK/German agent is a real company,
    Agree a contract.
    Set up a method to pay them. Credit Card or Standing order is best. DD in Ireland is just plain mad.

Or talk to Astra2connect direct. Outline the history and tell them you will pay direct or get Digiweb Satellite O2/Vodafone/Meteor/3 Mobile etc as you don't want to deal with someone with such a track record.

Officially he is not yet an employee.

Unless ABB is a legal entity, no-one is an employee. They are technically a group of unregistered "sole traders" Trading as ABB.

Strange thing is that Nbb went off the Astra list of agents on the international page - but they are still showing on the Uk page
    http://www.ses-astra.com/consumer/uk/astra-broadband/index.php

I think I'll get my phone line checked again - I heard Eircom made some changes at the exchange - maybe I'll be able to get DSL then I won't have to worry about Nbb/ABB ! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭48nico

i've just cancelled my dd with NBB today better safe than sorry,i dont even have a landline now to get dialup.ABB sounds a bit suspect to me ,i rang them but got an:mad: answering machine:mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

48nico wrote: »
    i've just cancelled my dd with NBB today better safe than sorry,i dont even have a landline now to get dialup.ABB sounds a bit suspect to me ,i rang them but got an:mad: answering machine:mad:.

leave a message and someone called Steve will call you back ( I am sure he used to be with NBB)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭48nico

I left a message but got no call back,ive just sent an email to www.mav.ie to see can they connect me

Advertisement