Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of NBB??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Someone should be getting onto the Office of the Director of Cooperate Enforcement about the phoenixing of NBB as ABB.

Scandalous behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Someone should be getting onto the Office of the Director of Cooperate Enforcement about the phoenixing of NBB as ABB.

Scandalous behaviour.

go on... you report them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kerrywings

I am now with www.beyondsl.net had a 5 minutes downtime tonight at around 9pm but transition went very smooth I must say, pitty i didn't know about the mav,ie crowd..... anyway i am happy and guess.... my download speeds are now what they were supposed to be so i guess that I never got for what i paid for!!

CamperMan wrote: »
    go on... you report them :D
    I can't be arsed. Maybe as a serial victim you will some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mjsl

I've just checked my bank account and find that NBB deducted 49.11 from my account today, advance payment for 1 month. Isn't this fraud - to take payment when they're out of business and can't deliver the service?
    I find it weird that NBB hasn't informed customers of their demise.

• Advertisement

Yes. If they are in liquidation they must inform everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

kerrywings wrote: »
    I am now with www.beyondsl.net had a 5 minutes downtime tonight at around 9pm but transition went very smooth I must say, pitty i didn't know about the mav,ie crowd..... anyway i am happy and guess.... my download speeds are now what they were supposed to be so i guess that I never got for what i paid for!!

Do you mind me asking how much it is costing per month now and what speeds are you paying for now. Is there a cap on downloads? Did you have to do anything at your end or did they just do it all ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

NBB never informed me, the first I heard was when I got an email from ABB, I have canceled the DD and NBB-ABB can go and fu¢k themselves.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

NBB never provided anything, they just sold subscriptions. They nor ABB are not an ISP, just an agent.

The T&C, Caps and Speed are as per the documents on Astra2Connect.

So yes there is a Cap and the technical specs of the system and contention means there is very little variation in speed posible compared with other VSAT systems.

So could you not simply bypass them and sub direct from Astra?

• Advertisement

I think Astra wants to use agents. No-one else took it up here because the service is poor and limited. Professional ISPs not interested in reselling it.

The best options are either a UK agent or move to a more professional sat system from a real Irish ISP. satellitebroadband.ie/micromagic.ie sell satlynx which is expensive and they have no great track record. Digiweb sell tooway (cheap) and Gilat (similar to satlynx) and satlynx. Also iDirect to Schools.
    Smart I think only do schools and 3's NBS satellite (via Avanti) is vapourware. That I think is the current Irish Sat market. There are a few other "professional" options (=very expensive) .

Be supicious of people with no address.

Things to look for:
    1) Track record of 1000s of installs
    2) Real ISP to sort VPN, VLANs etc
    3) Upgrades available
    4) Defined contention available (otherwise can be 1000:1 or more)
    5) real ISP Hosting available as you aren't allowed to host anything on VSAT
    6) Beam of satellite gives proper coverage with size of dish
    7) Real ISP that will usually upgrade you for free to DSL or Fixed Wireless if it arrives in your area.
    8) Actually based in Ireland.

But if you feel you don't want to change from Astra2connect, contact them to get a UK agent recommended.

http://www.beyondsl.net/ are obviously a UK dealer and some people in Ireland on Astra2connect have changed over to them, but it worries me that their web site only has phone numbers. I can't find any address.

No matter who is suppling it there is a Cap, typically low unless you pay a lot.. NBB fudged this and did not properly highlight the Astra2Connect T&C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

I am signing up with ABB - have cancelled my dd with nbb. I run a business and live in an area where it's this or dial up. I am not worried about direct debits (that's another issue really) and no matter what happens I'm not going to get burned too badly.

People have to make the decision for themselves at the end of the day. I can't afford downtime or the time to research other providers and so ABB is the devil I know.

I can see why ABB don't comment on this thread (they are aware of it) but if anyone has questions on how things go for me feel free to PM me (again I'm not telling anyone what they should do!).

You can get your existing service via a real company with a contract. You arn't obliged to sign a DD with ABB. Especially without proof they are a bonefide registered company and a contract.

A DD agreement gives the other party the right to take what ever money they like, whenever they like. It should be avoided and only ever signed after agreeing a contract with a registered company. The bank will not return DD payments.

At least one other provider has been signed up to for Astra2connect on this thread. (ww.beyondsl.net)

I'm not recommending or advising against any particular company. Just pointing out basic consumer common sense that should be policed and enforced by our Government. It makes no sense at all to agree a DD with a phoenix outfit. Agree a Standing Order or go another agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭48nico

watty wrote: »
    You can get your existing service via a real company with a contract. You arn't obliged to sign a DD with ABB. Especially without proof they are a bonefide registered company and a contract.

A DD agreement gives the other party the right to take what ever money they like, whenever they like. It should be avoided and only ever signed after agreeing a contract with a registered company. The bank will not return DD payments.

At least one other provider has been signed up to for Astra2connect on this thread. (ww.beyondsl.net)

I'm not recommending or advising against any particular company. Just pointing out basic consumer common sense that should be policed and enforced by our Government. It makes no sense at all to agree a DD with a phoenix outfit. Agree a Standing Order or go another agent.

Did they just transfer your contract with nbb and did they charge you a setup fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 echidna

Hi All,
    I have just rung the phone given in the email from abb(nbb) and spoke to a bloke who has set up the abb company. I told him the new company was suspiciously like the old company, and he said he was the main investor in the old company and was burned by some cowboys in nbb and had now decided to go again with the new company. (abb)
    Whatever (!)... Sounds a bit too good to be wholesome and as soon as I can break ties with this company the better I think. I did not get his name - was just surprised to have the phone answered. I only received the email yesterday so too late to do anything about the DD to nbb, but I see they were quick enough to take money from my account for the next months rental just a few days ago! No way are they getting their equipment back - belongs to me now - not hopeful about getting my deposit back either.
    I am hopeful that Eircom can now supply me with BB, but has anyone ever tried to use their site or talk to them on the phone? What a palaver!!! For a communications compnay they really take the biscuit for being hard to contact or get anwers to simple questions!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055164135
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055263213

Also
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2009-05-06.2115.0
    Note that a number of those satellite providers:
    1) Don't exist
    2) Are the SAME provider as another on on the list
    3) Provide nothing, they resell the service of another company on that list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

watty wrote: »
    Note that a number of those satellite providers:
    1) Don't exist

Jeez:( That greaseball Ryan directed the Mayo people to mediasat.ie which went bust in April 2008 . :(

What a scumbag !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 declanskidneys

Hi Lads, I've a mate who lives and plays a bit of football in clane, so I did a bit of background on this yesterday, he used to do a bit of service work for a bookies next door to NBB's old offices. He shares a pint in the same pub as yer man Steve from NBB as it happens. They let all employees go weeks ago so could never deliver the product, yer man Steve had asked in the pub had anyone any work going, he said he now works with this John O'Brien guy who used to own NBB with another John Keating, he told the guys in the pub John O'Brien owns ABB and as he was connected with NBB he has all the records, data base etc, Steve was the main sales guy in NBB so this is why you're getting contacted by him now, it was an easy transition.

This may be thirdhand hearsay and not factual, but it does sound plausable......:). I've no reason to doubt my mate, and the names add up as does the business plan of ABB????

at the minute lads, this is no more than a website so perhaps people should be careful parting with money if it has no legal guarantees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

at the minute lads, this is no more than a website so perhaps people should be careful parting with money if it has no legal guarantees

It's probably no more risky than NBB? What protection does a company registration give to customers?

It's harder for Directors to do a runner. There are rules for Companies or they are breaking the law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Brent-Floyd

Unfortunately, the result is still the same (sole trader / limited company) - you still lose your money!
    Brent.

The best solution is to only take out a contract for a service with a reputable, long established company. CCB/NBB/ABB have no monopoly. They are only an agent for one of the less successful, least upgradeable service in Ireland. You can sign up to the exact same service elsewhere or sign up to a similar price better service elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

Well, I've only just found this thread and I've been emailing and calling them for the last 2 months trying to get my connection fee and deposit back. I paid last December and got no install and no equipment and was finally told in March that there would be no install. I was offered my money back.

This was my only hope of getting broadband of some description at a reasonable price.

Does anybody know the name of the liquidators?

Just charge back your credit card , non receipt of goods

I paid by cheque:(

If only life was that simple!

Bummer , watch iris oifigiuil or insolvencyjournal.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭boggerboy

Binka wrote: »
    Well, I've only just found this thread and I've been emailing and calling them for the last 2 months trying to get my connection fee and deposit back. I paid last December and got no install and no equipment and was finally told in March that there would be no install. I was offered my money back.

This was my only hope of getting broadband of some description at a reasonable price.

Does anybody know the name of the liquidators?

Binka hi
    Not sure of the liquidators name but as posted earlier on this thread, creditors meeting is at 09.30am tomorrow in the Ardmore Hotel between Glasnevin and Finglas, if you can make it. Not sure there will be much to go around, between liquidators fees and have heard since that employees are due wages too..and there's the revenue...
    Sorry to hear you got burnt

Re ABB taking NBB clients - Fergal, you are quite right to make your choice and like your own post the point of the posts on this thread are to make the unaware, aware!
    John O'Brien was a director of NBB until near the end. He was NOT the major investor,that was Mr John Keating. It remains to be seen whether Mr Keating will join Mr O'Brien in ABB.
    ABB have not taken over NBB so have no right to customer information of NBB. They should also NOT transfer your service from NBB without your authorisation.
    Steve Beacham of NBB was the sales rep that my mate dealt with. Nice chap but was loose with the auld tongue and at times told my mate they were shoddy and had no organisation.. not my words..
    In summarising, if you have not stopped your DD from NBB, do so now! Although that does not end a contract it stops money coming out. The liquidation will put paid to any contract..

I think people like Watty who have wide knowledge of satellite broadband and all the alternatives should be heeded on their advice, look to reputable companies with a history of service etc

Watty - I apologise about the "employer reference" I got my wires crossed..

Good luck all in your broadband battles!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Bummer , watch iris oifigiuil or insolvencyjournal.ie

Thanks Sponge Bob. I see the creditors meeting listed but no liquidators appointed. The CRO site still lists the company status as normal.

I guess I should have noticed they did not file their annual return and accounts that were due last August before I handed over any money.:o

boggerboy wrote: »
    Binka hi
    Not sure of the liquidators name but as posted earlier on this thread, creditors meeting is at 09.30am tomorrow in the Ardmore Hotel between Glasnevin and Finglas, if you can make it. Not sure there will be much to go around, between liquidators fees and have heard since that employees are due wages too..and there's the revenue...
    Sorry to hear you got burnt

It's a long way across the country and not worth the time and cost. I'll have to swallow the loss and keep looking for an alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 EZduzzit

A little research...

There are three National Broadband companies listed with CRO.

CRO 435041 National Broadband Limited
    CRO 445735 National Broadband Services Limited
    CRO 445844 National Broadband Nominee Limited

All three list John Keating & Gertrude Keating as directors.

National Broadband Limited is the registered owner of nbb.ie domain and was the company name appearing on the nbb invoices.

As others have said, its creditors'/liquidation meeting is tomorrow at 09:30 in Ardmore Hotel, Tolka Valley, Dublin 11.
    http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/news/09-05-14/National_Broadband_Ltd.aspx

There is an additional creditors'/liquidation meeting tomorrow at 12noon relating to National Broadband Services Limited
    http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/news/09-05-14/National_Broadband_Services_Ltd.aspx

It is following these meetings that the name of the liquidator will be known.

As has also been said, NBB's legal action in relation to the National Broadband Scheme was probably a factor in its demise.
    Judgment registered 6th April 2009 for €385,620.77 against National Broadband Limited. Plaintiff - Neville O'Byrne, Alvin Price and Michael O'Connor all practising as William Fry Solicitors.
    http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/news/09-04-16/National_Broadband_Ltd.aspx

10 days notice must be given to all creditors of the creditors meeting which must also be advertised in two daily newspapers 10 days in advance of the meeting.

These meetings are taking place on the 26th May'09 so the taking of any direct debits within this notice period could be construed as reckless trading as the directors were aware that the company was insolvent and the action of taking the direct debits for the month in advance would cause loss to the creditors/customers.

Advertisement