Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of NBB??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

boggerboy wrote: »
    Echidna
    If mav are reselling the astra product, should you not be able to use the same equipment? (excuse my tech ignorance if i'm wrong!!)
    yes.

And indeed beyondsl or any German agent. NBB were NOT an ISP (and ABB nor cross country Broadband either). Astra (a2c, Astra2Connect) entirely provide the service from 23.5E

You can sign up contract with ANY A2C agent that can do paper work.

If mav.ie / Hilz1/ Ms. Boyle really has no connection whatsover with ccb/nbb/abb, then they would do too.

But I'd urge people in future to do some home work and sign up to a real ISP and then you can get migration from Satellite to real terrestrial Broadband more easily later and have more customer support than a place to pay the subscription to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

watty wrote: »
    The Sponge is usually worth listening to. However have you proof that mav.ie is nbb/ccb/abb?

Sorry , you are quite right to ask Watty .

Astra 2 connect have a NEW OFFICIAL Irish reseller and that is ABB. see here and that is only in the past few days .

Another company act as agents for UK or German A2C Resellers , that one is called MAV . Prices the same as it happens .

The ONLY thing they have in common is that they can get an A2C connection back alive by some means .

MAV has been around longer than ABB has. Longevity of any sort is an asset if you resell satellite services.

Hope that is clear . I am not guarateeing that either will be selling or supporting A2C in 3 months time !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

All
    Update from the creditors meeting:
    Basically, there's nothing left for ANYONE. It's all over now, apparently a supplier and ex contractor gave Mr Keating a hard time but it made no difference. A guy by the name of Damien Young has been appointed as liquidator - here's he "funny" bit, a member of the crowd questioned the validity of this guy as liquidator because of his relationship with the aforementioned Mr Keating, one of his mates...

I know there's nothing funny in the whole scheme of things - the end result is that no one will get any monies back - if you are a customer, cancel your DD IMMEDIATELY
    A member of the crowd mentioned this thread and said that a post from a customer said his DD had been taken out recently - the reply was a basic shrug and denial of knowledge - then another member of the crowd, a customer supported these claims and was then told that this had been brought to the attention of "Sentenial" the dd company...

Hope this helps again

Thanks for that update Boggerboy. At least it's obvious that it's not worth pursuing.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Sorry , you are quite right to ask Watty .

Astra 2 connect have a NEW OFFICIAL Irish reseller and that is ABB. see here and that is only in the past few days .

Another company act as agents for UK or German A2C Resellers , that one is called MAV . Prices the same as it happens .

The ONLY thing they have in common is that they can get an A2C connection back alive by some means .

MAV has been around longer than ABB has. Longevity of any sort is an asset if you resell satellite services.

Hope that is clear . I am not guarateeing that either will be selling or supporting A2C in 3 months time !

Well I think ABB is clearly too close to Cross Country Broadband/NBB and I wonder to Astra realize this.

mav.ie website seems to make no claim to be other that what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭48nico

Well I think ABB is clearly too close to Cross Country Broadband/NBB and I wonder to Astra realize this.

mav.ie website seems to make no claim to be other that what they are.

Astra do realize this. this is the reply i got from them

ABB Telecom, Ireland (www.abbtelecom.net): ABB Telecom was created in May 2009 and to some extent it is correct that some of the same people are working in this company now, who worked for NBB. But as you can see from their website ABB Telecom's service packages and their overall market approach has changed. It is now quite similar to what we experience being successful in other European market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

48nico wrote: »
    Astra do realize this. this is the reply i got from them

ABB Telecom, Ireland (www.abbtelecom.net): ABB Telecom was created in May 2009 and to some extent it is correct that some of the same people are working in this company now, who worked for NBB. But as you can see from their website ABB Telecom's service packages and their overall market approach has changed. It is now quite similar to what we experience being successful in other European market

So, how did NBB rack up such big debts, obviously they didn't owe Astra or Astra would not have entertained ABB...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Two words. Legal Costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Ogham wrote: »
    Strange thing is that Nbb went off the Astra list of agents on the international page - but they are still showing on the Uk page
    http://www.ses-astra.com/consumer/uk/astra-broadband/index.php

:

ABBtelecom have now replaced NBB on that page too.

Kerrywings - we haven't heard from you since you said you signed up with beyondls - is the service working Ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 declanskidneys

All
    Update from the creditors meeting:
    Basically, there's nothing left for ANYONE. It's all over now, apparently a supplier and ex contractor gave Mr Keating a hard time but it made no difference. A guy by the name of Damien Young has been appointed as liquidator - here's he "funny" bit, a member of the crowd questioned the validity of this guy as liquidator because of his relationship with the aforementioned Mr Keating, one of his mates...

I know there's nothing funny in the whole scheme of things - the end result is that no one will get any monies back - if you are a customer, cancel your DD IMMEDIATELY
    A member of the crowd mentioned this thread and said that a post from a customer said his DD had been taken out recently - the reply was a basic shrug and denial of knowledge - then another member of the crowd, a customer supported these claims and was then told that this had been brought to the attention of "Sentenial" the dd company...

Hope this helps again

Lads are there any customers/creditors on here that attended this meeting? I am just wondering did anyone ask Mr Keating about ABB or its connection with past NBB employees????

you really think there would be a clear answer :)

• Advertisement

you really think there would be a clear answer :)

:)probably as clear as the non existent Voip phone service, although it seems Mr Keating and Mr O'Brien will be well versed in defending themselves, and answering questions... that legal bill raised debating the NBS is evidence of that.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

Just as a follow up on this. I switched over to ABB - however my local exchange got upgraded last week and so I have discontinued my ABB service.

ABB are going to buy my second-hand satellite equipment (which I bought off NBB) back off me for 150euro. An engineer will collect next time they are in the area.

All up ABB were very good to me and I had no problem with the service.

Good to hear Fergalfrog, maybe it was Mr John Keating that was the weak link in NBB and Mr John O'Brien understands customer service better. 150.00 sounds ok, and its good the exchanges are still been upgraded it opens a whole new world of options for you.

take care
    Declan

our broadband service that was supplied by those gangsters at NBB has now been terminated.... I will not be going to ABB, as I reckon the service will be just as fu?king bad!!!

CamperMan wrote: »
    our broadband service that was supplied by those gangsters at NBB has now been terminated.... I will not be going to ABB, as I reckon the service will be just as fu?king bad!!!

What are you using now then?

nothing is available so I had to get an office in town that had proper broadband... not some micky mouse sh!t offered by cowboys like NBB

• Registered Users Posts: 39 markmagennis

CamperMan,

I just signed up with Munster Audio Visual (www.mav.ie). They're an Irish agent for Beyondsl which is the UK agent for Astra2Connect which means you can keep your current NBB equipment, pay a connection fee of €75 and then get switched on immediately and begin paying the monthly fee.

If you contact MAV, they'll email you a PDF application form which you can print out, fill in, scan back in and email to Beyondsl (very 20th Century!).

The Value2M package looks quite attractive compared with NBB/ABB - double the speed for the same monthly fee (2Mb/128k for 49.50 per month) BUT! it's not yet available because they haven't got their web top-up system working and, with a monthly limit of 2Gb, people may need to avail of the 1Gb top-up every now and then (at a cost of €20). Otherwise, you'd have to wait till the 1st of the next month to get connected again. So I'm temporarily getting the Expert1M package which curiously is not listed on the MAV website. This is the same price as Value2M but with no download limit.

Or you could go for Digiweb Twoway. They provide 2Mb/256k for €59.29 per month plus €744 once off for equipment and installation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ALL Astra2Connect products have a download limit , there is NO uncapped product no matter what their resellers say .

You will be severely throttled if you exceed these limits .

Actually I think Digiweb just increased the speeds. (I was checking today to see what speed my Metro should be).

ALL domestic and many business products have a download limit. Sometimes ISPs don't tell you what it is. It's very low typically on 3G/HSPA and Satellite.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    ALL Astra2Connect products have a download limit , there is NO uncapped product no matter what their resellers say .

You will be severely throttled if you exceed these limits .

how about 2 kbps that was the sort of speed I was getting on the Astra2Connect system once I had gone over the 2gb limit, it would take ages just to download the Google home page!!!

A waste of time, will not use that service again, it caused more stress and anxiety than when I first started using dial-up over 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hilz1

Hi Guys i just thought id say that the expert 1m level is the same price as the value 2m level both levels will give you a 5 gig cut off point then you would get throttled back. but unlike the expert level the value1m and value 2m can be topped up with a €14 per month extra cost which will give unlimited G/B downloads between 10pm and 10 am . Its a step in the right direction you will never be able to please everyone as some user are dedicated to high downloads which demands more bandwidth.

As with everything astra2connect will improve as the technology gets better we will see a more improved service hopefully with more bandwidth and bigger download limits, this system is not ideal say for the city dweller but for folk who have just dial up where it take like an hour to send an email its ideal. ok thats it hope this have been of some help.

Sorry..
    But it can't get better. It's a Ku system.
    It uses a cost reduced low power (1/4 power) ODU
    It uses a regular TV type dish to save cost.
    Minimum latency is 790ms set by Physics.
    They can't offer higher cap due to contention (The beam is shared to 1/2 of Europe).

Newer Ka based systems using Tooway Technology when launched will offer higher cap and speed because they use small Spots. Two or Three just for Ireland. Same latency.

I know there is a launch of Astra 3B a new satellite which will orbit with the existing satellite at 23.5 east to offer additional capacity to the existing service , Im not as technically minded as yourself and respect your input but surely adding additional satellites in this orbit even though using ku band it will offer a better service and a wider beam giving a better service for the dish which is typically 79cm .

Astra 3B only adds 16 transponders and is a very wide footprint compared to Ka Spots. It will not make much difference to Astra2Connect cap size.

The upload speed is VERY limited on the Astra2Connect because your home dish (the VSAT) is only 0.5W compared with 2W to 4W of other systems.

The 80cm dish is also too small for South West in the rain. If the 3B improves footprint, then the rain margin will be better, but little change to Clear Sky speed or Cap due to capacity.

Each Spot Ka Transponder has nearly 100 times less contention at same number of Irish customers as the transponder only shared to about 1/3rd of Ireland not 1/2 of Europe and the Transponders are higher capacity.

CamperMan wrote: »

Camperman - did you gat a call from ABB offering to buy your NBB equipment for €100 ?
    They called me yesterday - didn't say who they were until I asked - just asked me if anyone had "been in touch" about my satellite broadband.
    When they mentioned buying the equipment - I said I couldn't sell it because it wasn't mine and maybe the reciever might want it. The bloke on the phone said "no they won't" . He then proceeded to tell me the exact breakdown of my fees for NBB and reminded me of my €200 deposit. I pointed out that ABB were really NBB under another name - which he denied. I said they can have the equipment for my 200 euro deposit back - but he refused.
    Thankfully I now can get "normal" DSL down my phone line - so don't need the satellite.
    Anyone want Astra Satellite equipment ? ;)

hi id give you the €100 euro they offered you it would not be worth €200 as it has been used, alternatively we could reconnect you please im not touting for business just trying to help you get operational so you wont be losing out €200 euro. bets of luck anyways

I suspect these systems belong to NBB/CCB and not the users. ABB buys them and then Creditors for NBB could be looking for more than you got paid.

But I could be wrong.

Hi watty
    I would think the cusomer initial Payment of €200 covered the initial outlay for the company and it was no refund basis. We have re-connected some of their clients to our system without any problems all we need is the imac number of the modem and we can connect them in a matter of 2 hours. The company in question obviously knows that customer by paying the €200 actually purchased the equipment while also paying a monthly rental for the hire of the said equipment therefore probably actually paying more for it in the long run. so it would make sense for this persom to re-connect rather than spend out more money getting dsl and having higher monthly costs for phone traffic.
    just my thoughts.

That would be for Install. It doesn't cover the real Equipment costs at all, the gear is I think about €250 ex shipping and real cost of install over 100 Eur.

If their charge included a Rental component, then that's proof they don't own it.

Of course getting reconnected is useful. But they would want independent legal advice that examines the original contract before selling the gear.

• Advertisement

It's true for ya watty. They wouldn't want it coming back to bite them afterwards. It's quite a messy situation really. The easiest way and most cost effective way would to be reconnected and if they have any queries on that I can give them advice there is no problem. I'm sure they have quite a bit to think about. Many issues to consider and in the end must go for what they feel suits them best. Thanks for your input watty it's helpful to both sides gives food for thought.

Advertisement