Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange connection problem

Options
  • 04-02-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭

Ok, me and valor will often play on the same site, off the same connection, but I get disconned at least 3 times per session and he almost never does. Doesn't make sense to me. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭HoLLLLLaments

prejudice against gingers imo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Maybe Valor clicks into the lobby and/or other sections of the site to check his balance or his player points etc, whereas you just stick to the tables you've loaded.

So you get disconnected for inaction as the system thinks you aren't using the main page anymore.

All just a theory, probbably garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Valor runs better imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭White Knight

Do you both use wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

is your internet wireless? If you could try swapping computers you could see if the problem was your computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Van Dice

I would like to play on such a discerning site, details?

Van Dice wrote: »

It is ok to play on the majority of sites from the same IP as long as they play different games/tables etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Its wireless, we don't play on the same tables/limits either really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Van Dice wrote: »

I'd prefer to play on a site that allowed cardfish but kept disconnecting valor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

sorry just had to laugh at this thread, its true valor just seems to run good - never seen him take a bad beat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

is your internet wireless? If you could try swapping computers you could see if the problem was your computer

Yeah, do this. And if you can run a standard LAN cable to your rig, see does that make a difference. Also, update all your drivers, OS, etc, maybe even the BIOS if you're comfortable doing that. [Actually, making sure you're updated is really important, particularly with wireless.] Another thing, maybe try stopping as many background processes as possible, and see does that stop the disconnections.

If you want to get really technical, you could try Wireshark to see the network log of what happens when you get disconnected. You'd need some real network guru's to help you interpret that though.

trying wireshark atm with sikes, though he's failing me a little here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

trying wireshark atm with sikes, though he's failing me a little here!

the fish forgot his admin password. if you weren't living in poverty in some third world **** hole, you'd prob have a better connection, mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭dwayman

You could use mains adaptor network plug thingy. I have one and it is great. Got mine in Aldi a while back.

It could be that you have some sort of obstacle between you and the router like a concrete wall which weakens the signal. Different brands of wireless adaptors are more reliable than others too.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=356937

sikes wrote: »
    if you weren't living in poverty in some third world **** hole, .

Ireland? :rolleyes:
    you'd prob have a better connection, mostly.

Yep, definitely :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

edit: ok in an ttempt to be half serious have you tried support? They might load balance their users onto separate servers. Aside from gingeritis I can't think of anything else that could be causing this

Ireland? :rolleyes:

Yep, definitely :rolleyes:

no not definitely. most of the servers are in fairly random places. eg malta for b2b. it would be a fair guess that countries around italy, many of which have submarine links to italy, would have better connections than you would experience in ireland/uk

• Registered Users Posts: 38,302 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I used to have connections problems on all the sites but since I bought my own router, I have a netgear one now, I've had no connection issues.
    I have Eircom broadband.

no not definitely.

was an attept at sarcasm about the lack of countries finances/broadband capabilities hence the :rolleyes:'s

was an attept at sarcasm about the lack of countries finances/broadband capabilities hence the :rolleyes:'s

ah right, woops, im pretty bad at recognising sarcasm.

Anyway the fish involved has downloaded a new driver which might have sorted something out.

• Advertisement

Yeah dl'd the driver, looked good for a bit but my laptop was just slowrolling me. I will fire an email to support about it though I'm not too hopeful on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

lol @ the related videos

running bad
    Degenerate Gambler
    cardshark poking it
    Going For Broke
    The Most Degenerate Poker Player in The World
    Degenerate Gambler
    Degenerate Gambler
    Take the Cash Geoff!
    The Degenerate Gambler - How to Find a Bookie
    The Degenerate Gambler goes to the track

What's the difference between yours and valors' PC? If the wireless adapters are different, just install the same one as valors. Updating the driver should have helped, but wireless adapters still tend to be finicky, even though the tech is fairly well established at this stage. Also, just updating the adapter driver might not be enough; you might need to update the motherboard drivers and maybe the BIOS as well (although a bad BIOS update might effectively kill your machine).

Edit: lol@RoundTower... I rarely post here these days but still manage to run across a classic.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Do you use wireless while Valor uses cable?

If you are both on wireless, do you both use it from the same room? (I'm presuming you both connect to the same router).

Both on same OS?

Do you have any idea of the strength of signal you are getting? (out of 5 bars or some such?)

Are you running anything in the background like a bittorrent program (even if you are not downloading, or have it limited in some way)?

Worst case scenario is that its down to your network card drivers being pickier then his about late packets or packet loss. Thats really clutching at straws a bit but if we can rule everything else out... it could be that.

I had exactly the same problem and its the single most annoying thing. It would disconnect 5 times an hour sometimes or not at all for hours on end. I sympathise!
    in my case doing some pretty deep voodoo on the network card settings seemed to help a little but shortly there after I boxed the motherboard with static electricity in a staggering display of cleverness and the new laptop worked grand. :rolleyes:

DeV.
    ps:#include wit about gingerness and lack of money.

We both sit the same distance away, we both get the same signal strength(excellent), I'm not running and bittorrent programs while I play. We both have vista, he has a pc with external net wireless card, I have a laptop with internal card.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

bugger.

I was hoping you'd say something different.

I'll try to dig up the network voodoo instructions I used. In the mean time to exclude the minor difference between the two, you could try cabling an ethernet line to the router and seeing if that makes any difference (I have a feeling you've probably tried this before). Next 48 hours are fairly mad for me but I'll see if I cant find the changes you need to make to the network layer settings.

DeV.

Reggie, another thing to try would be to get a USB wireless adapter and try that. They should only cost around €50 or so. To use it, you'd probably have to disable your current adapter- uninstall that driver and then disable the adapter in the BIOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Plug it in to the modem/router directly and see if you still get the problem. If not, then it's your wireless card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement